Scared And Confused - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Exclamation Scared And Confused

Okay my room-mate Cody is going to UTI with me here in Tx. but he's in the Automotive program all they do is the engine stuff mostly but he is in the Super Street program where they do computer tuning, and dyno pulls. The test cars are 2 Mustang Gt's but I'm sure are 2003's but i'm not really sure. All i know is he showed me the dyno sheet and it said with a preformance tune on the automatic Mustang it only got to 230 hp and the manual only had 240. So know I'm kinda scared because I've always been told 206 to the tires and 302 foot pounds of tourque. Does anybody have anything about this or is it just because these mustangs are ran like this everyday?

JACOBS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Whoops I messed up with my typing. I meant 260 hp and 302 foot pounds of torque. Sorry about that.

JACOBS
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009
V6 Member

Arrow

206 to the tires are really low the real power to the ground RWHP is from 220-230. and the auto always loses 10rwhp... Most cars loose 15%...

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009
GT Member
4.6L Member

I think what you're talking about is the flywheel hp. Sure the engines are rated at 260 with 302 torque. But the problem lies with getting that power to the ground. Like BigDaddy'sStang said, manual transmissions lose a certain percentage of power, and an automatic loses a little more. I've heard some numbers such as 15% for a manual tranny and 20% for an auto. But I could be mistaken.

Toy: 2002 Mustang GT
Daily Driver: 2010 Ford Fusion Sport
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunmetal03gt View Post
Okay my room-mate Cody is going to UTI with me here in Tx. but he's in the Automotive program all they do is the engine stuff mostly but he is in the Super Street program where they do computer tuning, and dyno pulls. The test cars are 2 Mustang Gt's but I'm sure are 2003's but i'm not really sure. All i know is he showed me the dyno sheet and it said with a preformance tune on the automatic Mustang it only got to 230 hp and the manual only had 240. So know I'm kinda scared because I've always been told 206 to the tires and 302 foot pounds of tourque. Does anybody have anything about this or is it just because these mustangs are ran like this everyday?
So even with a performance tune these GTs are putting 240/230HP at the Crank or to the rear wheels? Because there's a huge difference lol! And also I find it hard to believe with a performance tune the GTs put out less HP than Ford's factory tune.:nogrinner

MY PONIES

2000 White Ford Mustang V6 (Auto) SOLD
2003 White Ford Mustang GT (5-Speed) SOLD
2003 White Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Vert (6-speed) "Oreo"
2003 Black Ford Mustang Mach 1 (5-speed) "Black Knight" SOLD
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009
PONY Member

Do the math:

240rwhp / .85 (assuming the typical 15% drivetrain loss for a manual)= 282.35 bhp

Not bad considering that it only has a tune.

230rwhp / .80 (assuming the typical 20% drivetrain loss for an auto) = 287.5 bhp

Again, not bad considering that only a tune has been done.

Obviously these numbers aren't gospel, it's just me working backwards off of dyno numbers. Each transmission may be sapping more or less than the typical 15-20%, so these numbers shouldn't be published in any scientific journals. But for a quick reference, it doesn't hurt.

SOLD: PI Headed '98 GT - 248rwhp/306rwtq - [email protected] (2.0 60ft 3300+ DA)

'11 TDI Sportwagen - 50 mpg Daily Driver - Not Quick.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Man these numbers make me feel a little better. But i still think these mustangs are probably hurting after having a dyno pull everyday of the year almost.

JACOBS
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009
SHELBY GT 350 Member

those are really good numbers if it's just a tune and no mods done at all. I know most 99-04 with the typical bolt ons are pushing around 250-255rwhp with a 5 speed.

2014 Mustang GT, A6, Grabber Blue
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009
Snackmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oo5GT View Post
those are really good numbers if it's just a tune and no mods done at all. I know most 99-04 with the typical bolt ons are pushing around 250-255rwhp with a 5 speed.

Those are good numbers because that's the range for an S197 Stang with a CAI.
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Stock Manual 99-04 4.6 GT is 215... with a good tune 225-230 stock, with CAI upper 230's, with heads 270-280's, with heads and cams 290-300's. All are in RWHP, not at the crank. Add about 15% for crank HP. This all depends on how good your tune is. Have seen some great tunes and some really bad ones. Perhaps your buddy just sucks at tuning and is making the performance tune worse than stock????

Here is a tip: Go to a good tuner that has lots of experience!!!!

-Dendro

Mods here, mods there... and more parts coming. Proud owner of a hole in the driveway in which money is thrown.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Cody: "I got 241wrhp out of just a fuel ratio and maf counts."

He thinks he's a hard ass.:hihi: Well i guess i always figured the stock mustang would be about 240 i didn't know that they were that low. Okay lets change the topic just a lil bit. There is a kid back home with a mach 1 mustang stock and he is a crappy driver. My new question is with my less restrictive exhuast, full cold air and MAF sensor, a stage 1 race clutch, and i do have a supsension on it but i know that in a drag race that ain't gonna help much. What do you think my chances are in a head to head all motor drag race, and what should i do to bump the rwhp to help make my chances better?

JACOBS
4.6L Member

Quote:
My new question is with my less restrictive exhuast, full cold air and MAF sensor, a stage 1 race clutch, and i do have a supsension on it but i know that in a drag race that ain't gonna help much. What do you think my chances are in a head to head all motor drag race, and what should i do to bump the rwhp to help make my chances better?
First, I want to put it out there that if you do race him, take it to the track. Second, Mach 1s aren't all that fast although they do have the best of both worlds for drag racing. They make decent torque (unlike most of the early 4vs) they have a live axle and a pretty sturdy bottom end. They're wicked heavy though. If I'm not mistaken, they're high-mid 13 second cars.

If he's a terrible driver and you're a very good (i mean very good) driver it'd be actually a decent race stock for stock. As it stands with some 4.10s, DRs and a lot of practice I bet you could whoop him.

I'm not sure if he's here anymore but we used have a really knowledgeable user on here that referred to the New Edge GT as a "13 second car with 14 second drivers" :hihi: ...I happen to agree with that sentiment.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Oh yeah deffinatly at the track. I gave up on street racing about a year ago after one of my friends got hurt real bad, and he was a by-stander. But on the driver part, I know I'm not the greatest driver in the world but the last time I went to Baytown Race-way which is 1/4 i ran a 13.8 with bad compression (loose spark plug) but I was having a good night. Didn't have any problems with traction or anything, but everyone says this kid bought it and can't even pull off a stoplight launch:hihi:

JACOBS
4.6L Member

Quote:
Oh yeah deffinatly at the track. I gave up on street racing about a year ago after one of my friends got hurt real bad, and he was a by-stander. But on the driver part, I know I'm not the greatest driver in the world but the last time I went to Baytown Race-way which is 1/4 i ran a 13.8 with bad compression (loose spark plug) but I was having a good night. Didn't have any problems with traction or anything, but everyone says this kid bought it and can't even pull off a stoplight launch:hihi:
Yeah if you're already pulling high 13's some 4.10s and drag radials will definitely give him something to chase. It'll be a good race if he learns to coax a decent 60', though.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Man I'm excited for this now . I'll have to get someone to tape it or someting. I have a set of radials at home in Iowa but how much does the gearing cost normally, cuz if it's not to bad I will deffinatly consider it!

JACOBS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page