What is this intake component? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

What is this intake component?

Is this just a muffler? Is it something that can be removed? I'd sure like to just run a hose. Thanks

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatIs.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	68071  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009
PONY Member
4.6L Member

lol its not a muffler lol its called a IAC valve. well it leads up to it. it connects from your intake to ur throttle body and its rsponsible for your idle i.e Idle Air Control valve. when your at idle it opens up . there the most common victim of rough idle. the actual box your pointing at is the leading to the IAC attached to ur throttle body. the box is a mini control for flow and houses no mecahnical device in it

2001 Mustang GT.Tropic Green ( SU ftw ), AM Cold Air Intake.75mm Throttlebody.accufab Plenum. Pypes Off road X pipe(ceramic coated to headers). J&M Lower control arms. 4.10 Gears. 93 octane sniper dyno tuned. 245 RWHP 287 RWTQ
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Hi Schon,

Thanks for replying. My interest in particular is in the plastic box and not the IAC valve itself. When I said muffler I meant something to dampen air noises. It's possible when the IAC is cycling it might make some strange sounds that would be noticeable inside the car. The intake on my Isuzu diesel truck has just such a device, with no throttle in the intake you would hear the wide open intake noises all the time. Cool for short periods in our Stangs but I don't think I would want to listen to it full time! As you noted there is nothing inside it so I have to wonder how necessary it is. Running a hose only would look alot cleaner.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempletonGT View Post
Hi Schon,

Thanks for replying. My interest in particular is in the plastic box and not the IAC valve itself. When I said muffler I meant something to dampen air noises. It's possible when the IAC is cycling it might make some strange sounds that would be noticeable inside the car. The intake on my Isuzu diesel truck has just such a device, with no throttle in the intake you would hear the wide open intake noises all the time. Cool for short periods in our Stangs but I don't think I would want to listen to it full time! As you noted there is nothing inside it so I have to wonder how necessary it is. Running a hose only would look alot cleaner.
yeah lol i figured all that after i clicked send lol. i wondered the same thing. usually when the IAC whistles . people repalce it and it stops so it cant be the black box. but i would guess it is a muffler.

2001 Mustang GT.Tropic Green ( SU ftw ), AM Cold Air Intake.75mm Throttlebody.accufab Plenum. Pypes Off road X pipe(ceramic coated to headers). J&M Lower control arms. 4.10 Gears. 93 octane sniper dyno tuned. 245 RWHP 287 RWTQ
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Vacum Leak

i found this. that answers the question lol

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Hey Schon...good find!

A "flow director", what next?! Well, it must do something reasonably important so I better leave it in. Thanks for digging that up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page