Stupid question - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009 Thread Starter
4.6L Member

Stupid question

for the automatic drivers .. do you drive around the streets with overdrive off or ON... i usually have mine on, but what is the difference (power, gas saving etc???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009
Banned
V6 Member

Send a message via AIM to 05horse Send a message via MSN to 05horse Send a message via Yahoo to 05horse
it really dont matter youll hear alot. some say on some say of
its AUTOMATIC OVER DRIVE

soit only hits 5th at the apporpiate speeds

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009
4.6L Member

doesnt really matter, good for the highway not for racing turn it off if you race

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009
4.6L Member

i notice a small decrease in MPG, but if im drving below 40 mph, i keep the OD off cuz it puts the motor in a little higher RPM range which keeps the OD from trying to make up its mind to come on or stay off....plus the higher RPM's make the exhaust sound mean...lol :happydancer:...loud pipes save lives!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009 Thread Starter
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01GTdarknessss View Post
i notice a small decrease in MPG, but if im drving below 40 mph, i keep the OD off cuz it puts the motor in a little higher RPM range which keeps the OD from trying to make up its mind to come on or stay off....plus the higher RPM's make the exhaust sound mean...lol :happydancer:...loud pipes save lives!
haha.. I agree the higher RPM does make the exhaust sound mean! especially since i have flowmasters :shiny:
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009
PONY Member

For normal street driving i keep it on. It runs my engine at a lower RPM which saves gas and keeps all un necessary stress off the engine. even when racing once you floor it instantly your computer will over ride the overdrive and allow you lay down ALL the HP possible.

Beer on the table.
*ROAD RUNNER*
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Mach1 EH
The only stoopid question is the question left unasked.

2003 Mach1 DSG (1of1595) IUP, 5 sp, MGW black locking fuel door, sequential flashers, K&N, Mach1 scuff plates, ID tags, MRT shifter, Borla cat back, Steeda full length subframe connectors, 3pt STB, AFS black chrome Mach1 Heritage 17 x 9 & 17 x 10.5 shoes, MRT hood struts.BIRTHDATE - 04/09/2003
2012 Shelby GT500 - performance white. SVT Performance Pack, navigation, Borla
2006 BMW 530XI (my new to me; DD)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009
GT Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustDangRider View Post
For normal street driving i keep it on. It runs my engine at a lower RPM which saves gas and keeps all un necessary stress off the engine. even when racing once you floor it instantly your computer will over ride the overdrive and allow you lay down ALL the HP possible.
+1

The computer downshifts if you floor it, so unless you just like wasting gas and early wear on the engine, leave it on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page