Engine swap sohc 4.6 for sohc 4.6, father needs convincing - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009 Thread Starter
4.6L Member

Engine swap sohc 4.6 for sohc 4.6, father needs convincing

hey guys so im trying to help some friends with a problem that i just had lol

he has a cracked head... has for a while now but he has seen my new heads and wants to replace with those

DUH

anyway his dad is telling him to get a Remanned 4.6 for 2700 and that all of the work to swapp the engines can be done in the drive...
no i made a fair argument that the heads are way less work but then again im just a fellow mustanger to his dad and the way he sees it 2700 for the engine as opposed to 4000 for the head swapp with some extra goodies 2700 is way better...

could you fellas help me to convince this father? i imagine after all the other stuff youd have to buy to dropp the engine in it would beclose to the same price

anyway if you have any reasons or have done this and have an aprox cost lemme know and ill be posting numbers once i make it to the dyno

THANKS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Send a message via AIM to mell0
$4000 for the head swap??? i thought the twisted wedge heads came in at just under $2000 for the set?

2002 Procharged GT
351rwhp, 353rwtq
12.503 @ 113.08

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009
Banned
4.6L Member

yup

Yea can get twisted wedges for 1800 from alot of shops labor about a 1000 so its 2800 included labor but to a father the 2700 for a remand is better cause once you start playin in deep hope your pockets can keep up.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Swapping heads on a 4.6 is actually more work than replacing an entire engine assembly already assembled.

Plus, with doing a reman. engine swap, he has the benefit of basically a 0 mile engine that will last a lot longer than a headswap only.

I'm sure the TFS headswap sounds like fun, and it's more HP, but from the father's point of view, he's correct, and the reman engine is the smart choice for the money. I know that's not what you wanted to hear, but it only makes sense from a responsible point of view, not a gearhead point of view.

It would all come down to:

How many miles are on the original block?

2001 Dark Highland Green Bullitt
[email protected] naturally aspirated on a bone stock 2V longblock

Under Reconstruction for RS275 Drag Radial Class
Pushrods and Powerglide Coming Soon

If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009
PONY Member
4.6L Member

I would go all out and swap it for a terminator motor but that would cost much$$$$$$

2k1 performance red GT 5 spd, x-pipe, bassani catback, 31 spline diff, the regular bolt on's, stripes and alot of wax... 4.10's FTW
if my stang dosent steal your pink slip she will steal your heart cuz she is DEAD SEXY!!!!!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009
PONY Member
5.0L Member

i bought my trickflow heads for 1890..Me and my buddy pulled the motor so i mean i dont see it costing 4000 unless you take to a shop or something

04 GT: Built MMR 900 shortblock with trickflow heads and custom cams,vortech T-Trim intercooled @10psi,longtubes, all the bolt ons sct 2600 maf 60lb injectors, dual 03/04 cobra pumps with tank..you get the idea... dynoed at 476rwhp and 438rwtq on a concervative tune Next: Snow Performance Meth Injection Kit and More BOOST!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Add new cams for $550-$600, head change kit, etc. and I bet you'd come close to $4k after all was said and done. Especially if you were paying someone to put them on...

2001 Dark Highland Green Bullitt
[email protected] naturally aspirated on a bone stock 2V longblock

Under Reconstruction for RS275 Drag Radial Class
Pushrods and Powerglide Coming Soon

If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009
Banned
4.6L Member

Well an 05 GT is about $15000, I would sell the car (4000+), take the "new motor/heads" money ($4000) = $8000, then finance the balance at about $200 a month and be waaaay ahead...
That's how I roll...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009
Rookie
4.6L Member

I would agree with almost everyone on this one, sorry buddy. I did the head swap for my 98 GT, and it cost nothing short of $4000. I got Patriot performance heads, but when you get the heads you have to upgrade the intake manifold, and when you do that you have to upgrade the cams too to make it worth while. Then to cover for the heads and cams, you have to upgrade the rear end gears.... not to mention upgrading the fuel injectors. so after all that you have to tune your car with your desired tuner....(SCT for myself) it's just a lot of unseen work and extra bells and whistles that you either don't know that you need, or never thought about, don't mean to rain on your parade but I speak from experience. The power was wonderful, but the tag that comes with it is steep! from 222RWHP to 305, not bad but pricey!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009 Thread Starter
4.6L Member

yeah i was trying to get opinions i recently had the same problem but i already had the heads

and with me and a buddy installing it came close to 4k
already had gears
Bought specifically for swap:
Heads/Cam 2420
Headers 400
Fasteners and gaskets 200
diablo 370
Timing set 300

that right there comes to 3690

just looking for an opinion
this other fella is younger than me and doesnt make his own money and he is at fathers discretion and the did end up getting the reworked engine i checked out the place and they have tons of engines they had a couple of termi engines complete long blocks for 3500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page