Repainting Hood with Duplicolor - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Repainting Hood with Duplicolor

Does anyone know how close Duplicolor's "Jet Black" Paint Shop will come to the "Ebony" black Ford painted my 98 Mustang in? How high is the quality of Duplicolor paint? I'm planning on repainting my hood by spraying a good primer down, then Duplicolor's "Jet Black" and then spraying a few coats of Duplicolor's clear coat. Any thoughts on this. I know I could do have this done professionally, but this is not a show car, and I only want a decent, presentable job that I can say I did myself.

It's a Mustang GT. A Ford product. Need I say more?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009
SHELBY GT-40 ULTIMATE Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

No idea how well it matches but I've painted the whole front end of my car (fenders, nose, hood) from a can. So before anyone screams 'don't do it', if done right it looks and protects just fine.

AFM Site Administrator
Member: Mustang Club of America #82740, White Mustang Registry #362, NMRA, Fun Ford Weekend, Mustangs of Burlington

MOOG Certified Technician
For mods and sound clips, see profile and gallery.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009
GT Member
4.6L Member

im placein a post cause i wana track this. i want to do the same thing.. how much work have u done with painting cars?? i hear that duplicolor kit is real beginer friendly.. from what i know its all about prep and ur gun.

cams, and all basic bolt ons, arizen seats, cowl hood, and now my buckets got a hole in it (meaning im broke) but when i fix it ill have gears and some trany work

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I have no experience at all, but I'm sure if I take my time and do my research I can do a decent job. I am ONLY doing a hood which is NOT on the car so there is room for error. I am trying to decide between 2 different routes. The first link is a product Duplicolor offers where I can spray the part right from a can and the color matching chart (second link) appears to match my 98 black.

There is also the third link which is the "Paint Shop" line. I would need to get a gun somewhere if I went this route.

Right now my LARGEST concern is that Duplicolor is a lacquer based paint. Through research it appears there are MANY coats needed and it is NOT durable. What I'd like to know is how many coats are we talking, and how bad is the paint? Will it give me a decent job as that is all I ask for? It doesnt have to be a show car type of job.

My plan is to lightly sand the hood to take the current clear coat away.

Then hit it with a few coats of black primer.

Then hit is with a few coats of the Duplicolor paint.

Then a few coats of the Duplicolor clear coat.

Can anyone with some exp. tell me if there is a flaw to this plan? Thoughts?

Auto Spray®

https://www.duplicolor.com/duplicolor/step1.php

Paint Shop

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleAutosports View Post
No idea how well it matches but I've painted the whole front end of my car (fenders, nose, hood) from a can. So before anyone screams 'don't do it', if done right it looks and protects just fine.
I think it awsome "the done it my selfers" anyone can throw money at it but there is a since of pride when you do it yourself! Now don't get me wrong I pay to have a lot of things done but I compare the cost of me screwing up and having to repeat it multiple times to someone doing it at a cost. Anyway that's my 2 cents. Good luck and post pics when you through out the process.

2003 GT
Vortech V3Si 395rwhp 380trq
11lbs boost
A/A Intercooler, 50mm Blow Off Valve
BBK 78mm Throttle body
18" FR500's H&R Supersport springs
Flowmasters Ford Racing 3:73
UPR X pipe w cats, Centerforce Dual Friction
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I have a good question....can anyone tell me how many rattle cans of paint I will need adequetly cover the hood on both sides? How many coats show I lay down?

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009
Banned
4.6L Member

I have a tiny bit of experience with this. Some jackass broke my window out to steal all the NOTHING I keep in my car, and tore the paint on my door up pretty bad. I sanded, primered, and repainted it myself. Take your time. I would find someone who knows about painting and ask them about when you should wetsand and what grit sandpaper is best, etc...
My door is barely noticeable (It still looks better than scratches) and I really didn't have a clue what I was doing. Just kinda winged it. You'll probably be better off than I was, because at least your researching it first
Over spray can get on EVERYTHING...even if you don't think it will...if you do this anywhere near your car you might end up spending all day with rubbing compound getting all the damn overspray off the rest of your car. It sucks.

If it's just a hood, why not take it to a paint shop though? I'm all about DIY, but sometimes paint is a pain in the ass. It takes up a lot of room to do stuff, the temperature is important; dust, bugs and other crap will fly onto it, etc...
Then again, I've seen body shops do shoddier work than I did myself.

I dunno what my point is. Good luck though!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page