Ford Mustang Forum

Ford Mustang Forum (/forums/)
-   4.6L Talk (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/4-6l-talk/)
-   -   Cams or Gears? HELP! (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/4-6l-talk/206955-cams-gears-help.html)

daveyk70 11-28-2009 07:08 PM

Cams or Gears? HELP!

I know I've seen this question posed before, but I want to clarify one last time....Which mod will be more noticeable on my '03 procharged supercharger auto gt? I am looking for off the line increase, low-mid power increase... (the rumble from the cam wpould be nice though...)

4.10 gears or a cam? Do the 4.10 gears give an annoying whine? I heard from other sites that they might.... My speed shop guy is telling me to go with the cams first, then the gears at a later time. I think the gears will be $750 vs $1300 for the cams (labor incl).

It seems the improvement from the gears might be more noticeable than the cams (and cheaper) but really not sure.

Any help would be much appreciated.

thanks

gostriderblack 11-28-2009 08:31 PM

off the line u want gears and ya they will wine if u do a bad install my pops has 450's in his truck and they r quit.( i say that cause i assume the basic way of thinking is the higher u go the louder the gears) but me personnally i havent done gears but the cams were super killer but it is stated u "should" have gears and converter before cams to get the most outta thiem. and if u getcams u might lose power in lower rpm, i did. but after 4500, o buddy hold on

johnr2001 11-28-2009 09:14 PM

gears first then your cams........... :bigthumbsup

GeoffPeplau 11-29-2009 01:41 AM

ya gears are pretty damn cheap but oh man do they make a difference.

daveyk70 11-29-2009 09:42 AM

ok, so 2 votes for gears first....anyone else have an opinion?

cement guy 11-29-2009 10:01 AM

gears first.you enjoy the cams more with the gears in there.:bigthumbsup

mell0 11-29-2009 11:37 AM

both would really help out your setup. the centrifugal superchargers really like the upper rpms and cams will only give you more power up there and gears will help you get there faster.

that being said i would get gears but definitely not 4.10s. especially if you are going to further improve your performance mods. at most i would go 3.73s for mostly street use. if you have some serously sticky tires and good suspension work then you might want to consider 3.90s or 4.10s, but even then it still might be too much.

grn 00 gt 11-29-2009 12:52 PM

Gears.

373 for F/I later
410 for N/A

Wicked 99 11-29-2009 02:24 PM

gears and go 373 love um then go comp 268 and they hit at like 3k not 4500

mell0 11-29-2009 04:21 PM

I also forgot to mention how it would be in your best interest to go with a dyno tune along with the cams. So if you're going that route figure the cost of a dyno with the price of the cams and installation.

sillyrabbit0420 11-29-2009 04:49 PM

I don't have cams, but I did do my gears. They're 4.10s, and I'm S/C too.
My gears do not whine. They might whine if you install them poorly I suppose. We installed 4.11s on my brother's Trans Am, and they didn't whine either. They just completely exploded after a summer of much abuse.
I can spin like hell in 1st and 2nd (BFG street tires) and I haven't purposely tried in 3rd, but I think some drag radials would help that out a lot.
I know conventional wisdom says 4.10s are :nono: with a S/C, but I sure as hell like mine. The thing's a rocket cruising around 30 in second gear and you let her eat. You just gotta know how much gas will make you spin, and how much will allow you to hook up. I really can't imagine that with 3.73s you couldn't just lunch tires all day long either.
To each his own...I don't care much about going 150 mph, nor am I a pro drag racer, so...4.10s

grn 00 gt 11-29-2009 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sillyrabbit0420 (Post 1810052)
I don't have cams, but I did do my gears. They're 4.10s, and I'm S/C too.
My gears do not whine. They might whine if you install them poorly I suppose. We installed 4.11s on my brother's Trans Am, and they didn't whine either. They just completely exploded after a summer of much abuse.
I can spin like hell in 1st and 2nd (BFG street tires) and I haven't purposely tried in 3rd, but I think some drag radials would help that out a lot.
I know conventional wisdom says 4.10s are :nono: with a S/C, but I sure as hell like mine. The thing's a rocket cruising around 30 in second gear and you let her eat. You just gotta know how much gas will make you spin, and how much will allow you to hook up. I really can't imagine that with 3.73s you couldn't just lunch tires all day long either.
To each his own...I don't care much about going 150 mph, nor am I a pro drag racer, so...4.10s

With a Centri and 410s, you will be fine, but a P/D blower and 410s without slicks can cause some fun driving. :bigthumbsup

racin366 11-29-2009 08:32 PM

I guess I'd do the gears first, but my gut is screaming cams. I wouldn't go any higher than 3.73 for the gears, and to be honest I would go with 3.55 with a blower. 4.10s with a blower suck, it spins up too fast, and if you get slicks you run the odds of running out of rpms before the traps, not to mention that traction will be nonexistent.

With a blower, the right cams and some mild porting can make a HUGE difference.

grn 00 gt 11-29-2009 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racin366 (Post 1810290)
and if you get slicks you run the odds of running out of rpms before the traps, not to mention that traction will be nonexistent.

Thanks, I missed that he had the automatic and had to reread it when I saw you mention running out of rpms at the traps. :bigthumbsup

sillyrabbit0420 11-29-2009 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grn 00 gt (Post 1810187)
With a Centri and 410s, you will be fine, but a P/D blower and 410s without slicks can cause some fun driving. :bigthumbsup

To be honest, I hadn't considered the difference between the two types. I've never driven a Mustang with a S/C other than my own, let alone one with a P/D blower. So I don't know about that.
I'm not even saying that 4.10's are the cat's ass and 3.73s aren't. I just like my 4.10s. But you're right...my S/C doesn't get into the boost unless I get into the throttle pretty well. Until I swap pulleys. Which might be a horrible idea, actually.
I did 4.10s when I was N/A. Then the S/C bug bit me, and I'm not about to swap 'em, cause it sucked the first time I did it.

Chalk it up to being a dummy and not planning my mods out...like so many others have done before me.