Cams or Gears? HELP! - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009 Thread Starter
Rookie

Cams or Gears? HELP!

I know I've seen this question posed before, but I want to clarify one last time....Which mod will be more noticeable on my '03 procharged supercharger auto gt? I am looking for off the line increase, low-mid power increase... (the rumble from the cam wpould be nice though...)

4.10 gears or a cam? Do the 4.10 gears give an annoying whine? I heard from other sites that they might.... My speed shop guy is telling me to go with the cams first, then the gears at a later time. I think the gears will be $750 vs $1300 for the cams (labor incl).

It seems the improvement from the gears might be more noticeable than the cams (and cheaper) but really not sure.

Any help would be much appreciated.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009
GT Member
4.6L Member

off the line u want gears and ya they will wine if u do a bad install my pops has 450's in his truck and they r quit.( i say that cause i assume the basic way of thinking is the higher u go the louder the gears) but me personnally i havent done gears but the cams were super killer but it is stated u "should" have gears and converter before cams to get the most outta thiem. and if u getcams u might lose power in lower rpm, i did. but after 4500, o buddy hold on

cams, and all basic bolt ons, arizen seats, cowl hood, and now my buckets got a hole in it (meaning im broke) but when i fix it ill have gears and some trany work
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009
GT Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

gears first then your cams...........

03 Mach 1, Full eaton swap,4;10s, slp 2 with mac H pipe, 443 rwhp tuned by Excessive

1990 lx fully built 331 stroker

89 LX lots of goodies

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009
Rookie

ya gears are pretty damn cheap but oh man do they make a difference.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009 Thread Starter
Rookie

ok, so 2 votes for gears first....anyone else have an opinion?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009
Apprentice
4.6L Member

gears first.you enjoy the cams more with the gears in there.

393 fox with boost
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Send a message via AIM to mell0
both would really help out your setup. the centrifugal superchargers really like the upper rpms and cams will only give you more power up there and gears will help you get there faster.

that being said i would get gears but definitely not 4.10s. especially if you are going to further improve your performance mods. at most i would go 3.73s for mostly street use. if you have some serously sticky tires and good suspension work then you might want to consider 3.90s or 4.10s, but even then it still might be too much.

2002 Procharged GT
351rwhp, 353rwtq
12.503 @ 113.08

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009
GT Member
4.6L Member

Gears.

373 for F/I later
410 for N/A
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009
Banned
4.6L Member

gears and go 373 love um then go comp 268 and they hit at like 3k not 4500
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Send a message via AIM to mell0
I also forgot to mention how it would be in your best interest to go with a dyno tune along with the cams. So if you're going that route figure the cost of a dyno with the price of the cams and installation.

2002 Procharged GT
351rwhp, 353rwtq
12.503 @ 113.08

Banned
4.6L Member

I don't have cams, but I did do my gears. They're 4.10s, and I'm S/C too.
My gears do not whine. They might whine if you install them poorly I suppose. We installed 4.11s on my brother's Trans Am, and they didn't whine either. They just completely exploded after a summer of much abuse.
I can spin like hell in 1st and 2nd (BFG street tires) and I haven't purposely tried in 3rd, but I think some drag radials would help that out a lot.
I know conventional wisdom says 4.10s are with a S/C, but I sure as hell like mine. The thing's a rocket cruising around 30 in second gear and you let her eat. You just gotta know how much gas will make you spin, and how much will allow you to hook up. I really can't imagine that with 3.73s you couldn't just lunch tires all day long either.
To each his own...I don't care much about going 150 mph, nor am I a pro drag racer, so...4.10s
GT Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyrabbit0420 View Post
I don't have cams, but I did do my gears. They're 4.10s, and I'm S/C too.
My gears do not whine. They might whine if you install them poorly I suppose. We installed 4.11s on my brother's Trans Am, and they didn't whine either. They just completely exploded after a summer of much abuse.
I can spin like hell in 1st and 2nd (BFG street tires) and I haven't purposely tried in 3rd, but I think some drag radials would help that out a lot.
I know conventional wisdom says 4.10s are with a S/C, but I sure as hell like mine. The thing's a rocket cruising around 30 in second gear and you let her eat. You just gotta know how much gas will make you spin, and how much will allow you to hook up. I really can't imagine that with 3.73s you couldn't just lunch tires all day long either.
To each his own...I don't care much about going 150 mph, nor am I a pro drag racer, so...4.10s

With a Centri and 410s, you will be fine, but a P/D blower and 410s without slicks can cause some fun driving.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

I guess I'd do the gears first, but my gut is screaming cams. I wouldn't go any higher than 3.73 for the gears, and to be honest I would go with 3.55 with a blower. 4.10s with a blower suck, it spins up too fast, and if you get slicks you run the odds of running out of rpms before the traps, not to mention that traction will be nonexistent.

With a blower, the right cams and some mild porting can make a HUGE difference.

The artist formerly known as SteedaMatt.
GT Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racin366 View Post
and if you get slicks you run the odds of running out of rpms before the traps, not to mention that traction will be nonexistent.
Thanks, I missed that he had the automatic and had to reread it when I saw you mention running out of rpms at the traps.
Banned
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grn 00 gt View Post
With a Centri and 410s, you will be fine, but a P/D blower and 410s without slicks can cause some fun driving.
To be honest, I hadn't considered the difference between the two types. I've never driven a Mustang with a S/C other than my own, let alone one with a P/D blower. So I don't know about that.
I'm not even saying that 4.10's are the cat's ass and 3.73s aren't. I just like my 4.10s. But you're right...my S/C doesn't get into the boost unless I get into the throttle pretty well. Until I swap pulleys. Which might be a horrible idea, actually.
I did 4.10s when I was N/A. Then the S/C bug bit me, and I'm not about to swap 'em, cause it sucked the first time I did it.

Chalk it up to being a dummy and not planning my mods out...like so many others have done before me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page