Question about rearend gearing with supercharged application - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to saleenmustang27
Question about rearend gearing with supercharged application

Hey guys, I have a 2001 GT conv. auto. I finally came to the conclusion to supercharge it rather than just basic boltons. I'm not sure If I want to go with vortech or Kenne bell. Question is, I really want 4.10's in the rear end; do you think I will have traction problems with the 4.10's and KB? I'm just worried that the instant boost and the the gearing might be too much. I want to lean toward the KB because most of my driving will be light to light. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

1998 GT- 5 speed. Crystal White. C&L CAI, 80mm MAF, TrickFlow 75mm throttle body, TrickFlow Upper intake plenum, Underdrive pullies, BBK catted X-pipe, 4.10 gears, limited slip diff with carbon fiber discs, moser 31 spline axles. MM FLSFCs, Screaming demon coil packs, Ford Racing 9mm wires, SR lowering springs, 95 cobra R rims, black, machined lip 18X9's in front, 18X10's in rear, Bullitt style pedals, SVE race seats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Send a message via AIM to BlueStreak03 Send a message via Yahoo to BlueStreak03
4.10's + KB = tail happy car.

I would recommend 3.73's with that combo behind an automatic. You're also going to need a set of full length weld in suframe connectors. The torque from that setup is going to put a LOT of twist into the chassis. My 04 GT vert would pick up the drivers side tire for about 5-10 feet on the street before I had mine put on.

"Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it."

John Adams
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009
GT Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak03 View Post
4.10's + KB = tail happy car.

I would recommend 3.73's with that combo behind an automatic. You're also going to need a set of full length weld in suframe connectors. The torque from that setup is going to put a LOT of twist into the chassis. My 04 GT vert would pick up the drivers side tire for about 5-10 feet on the street before I had mine put on.
I agree.

373's will be a nice improvement over stock, but will still be easy to spin if you do a quick WOT pull at low speed.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Ya I was afraid of that, I'm going to do more research on the matter because I really want those 4.10's especially since the supercharger is a few years down the road. Thanks for the input.

1998 GT- 5 speed. Crystal White. C&L CAI, 80mm MAF, TrickFlow 75mm throttle body, TrickFlow Upper intake plenum, Underdrive pullies, BBK catted X-pipe, 4.10 gears, limited slip diff with carbon fiber discs, moser 31 spline axles. MM FLSFCs, Screaming demon coil packs, Ford Racing 9mm wires, SR lowering springs, 95 cobra R rims, black, machined lip 18X9's in front, 18X10's in rear, Bullitt style pedals, SVE race seats.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009
GT Member
4.6L Member

Do your chassis stiffening first! Where will you be running the car at? If it's only an 1/8th mile drag strip you could probably get away with the 4.10s....

03 Mach 1: New toy
00 Kenne Bell GT vert: Sold
04 Sonic Blue GT: Missed
96 GT: First. Sold.

06 F250 6.0L 4x4: Studded, EGR delete, IDP tunes, 5" Straight pipe, S&B CAI
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009
PONY Member

3.73s for manual and 4.10s for AUTO

'04 Screaming Yellow Cobra, may you rest in piece fine soul

'02 Mineral Gray V6-
GO
- Magnaflow catback, CAI, SCT X3, 65mm BBK TB, T-Loc, 3.73
SHOW -Smoked Head lights, Smoked tail lights, "MUSTANG" 3rd break light, 20% Tint
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02mingrayv6 View Post
3.73s for manual and 4.10s for AUTO
pfffffffft. 4.10's for manual, 4.30's for AUTO......

But with a KB, I'd be more inclined to go with 3.73's in either. My decision is solely based on racing though. You want to max out 4th gear, but not have to shift to 5th or OD in an auto.

2001 Dark Highland Green Bullitt
[email protected] naturally aspirated on a bone stock 2V longblock

Under Reconstruction for RS275 Drag Radial Class
Pushrods and Powerglide Coming Soon

If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009 Thread Starter
Apprentice

To be honest my car probably won't see the track. Its a daily driver, and the hardest it will get ridden would be launching from a stop light. The previous owner already put on a pair of subframe connectors and lowering springs.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009
Rookie

I would go with 373! Thats a perfect all around gear for a daily driving car. I have a 02 GT with a D1 procharger and its my daily driver. I have 373's and it dont hurt the gas milage to a noticable amount like it would if it had 410's.
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Send a message via AIM to mell0
if your car wont se the track i would say 3.55s with the kenne bell and 3.73s with the vortech. the kenne bell makes a ton of low end torque and there really is no need to get the engine turning up faster with the shorter gearing. on the other hand vortechs love the upper rpm and those 3.73s will help it reach maximum boost quicker.

2002 Procharged GT
351rwhp, 353rwtq
12.503 @ 113.08

PONY Member

If you go KB, don't do 4.10's, you'll be sorry! You will be constantly spinning the tires and bouncing off the rev limiter, it won't be fun, that's for sure!

2003 Torch Red Ford Mustang Mach 1 5-speed

Sold on July 21, 2012!

August 2012 AmericanMuscle.Com Calendar Centerfold!

New Ride: 2011 Shelby GT500, Black/Silver Stripes
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Ya I think I'm just going to wait on the gearing until I actually install the s/c and see how it feels. I'm used to driving turbo trucks at work and never drove a supercharged vehicle before. Are there any mods that I can do to prepare for the KB? I have an SCT flashtuner in the mail mostly for code reading, giving a boost to my auto tranny, and making my car a bit more fun to drive. Was thinking of a CAI; but as far as other mods for a s/c application I'm kind of lost, my previous mustangs were all bolt on mods. Any help would be great, thanks!

SHELBY GT 350 Member

Send a message via AIM to BlueStreak03 Send a message via Yahoo to BlueStreak03
The only engine mods you should need to support a KB would be a CAI and throttle body. Any upper plenums you put on would be replaced by the KB unit. Also get the exhaust done the way you want it before the blower goes on.

Other than suspension mods which those are widely varied and can be done in one of several differen directions, it's completely up to you. Upper and Lower Control Arms, Panhard bar or Watts link, bushings and a few other parts can be done. They'll all help the car immensely, especially once the extra torque is coming through the driveline.

"Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it."

John Adams
MACH I Member
4.6L Member

Ill tell ya a KB with 3.73 will wind up fast enough for ya...trust me. 4.10 with that setup would just be wheelspin. And I agree on getting subframe connectors before you do any of this.

-04 Mustang GT-Intercooled Kenne bell 2.1L supercharged @10psi, bolt ons, 3:73 gears, big brake upgrade, some suspension, 315's rear.

-08 Corvette Z06-B&B exhaust, K&N filter.

-12 Tacoma Prerunner
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

4.10's and a kenne bell? The only traction you'll have will be in your dreams. I would stick with 3.55 or at the most 3.73, but I have 3.73 now on a stick with just bolt-ons and traction is a major problem. Depending on how your tranny's response and shifts are they might be a bit much, but with good suspension work you may be able to hook.

The artist formerly known as SteedaMatt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page