2004 Saab 9-5 wagon/hatchback vs. '99 Mustang GT? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

yeah sonic i want to do the same thing. with my new clutch kit i'm hoping to beat it and FINALLY be in the 13's......

2002 Mustang GT 5 speed: Mach 1 grille delete, K&N drop-in air filter, 75mm BBK throttle body, ported C&L plenum, UPR upper and lower control arms, KYB shocks/struts, McLeod Super Street Pro clutch kit, AM firewall adjuster, MM clutch quadrant, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, Bassani catted x pipe, Flowmaster weld-in 40's, SCT 93 octane Bama tune
SOLD
for...
2013 Mustang GT 6 speed: GT Track Package, 301A Tech Package, JLT Catch Can, GT500 Axleback, Steeda Shifter Bushing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanjp View Post
ok cool i am worried about slipping the clutch off the start so i try to not rev it too high and to drop it with minimal clutch slippage. do you rev it that high because of your big tires? if so, with your street tires, what rpms were you launching at?
I haven't raced the car on street tires since it was pretty much bone stock, but I think I pretty much launched barely above idle, or it would just spin.

I would like to go back on street tires one day, now that I've learned the art of slipping the clutch and see what kind of 60ft times I could pull on the cheap Sumitomos.

2001 Dark Highland Green Bullitt
[email protected] naturally aspirated on a bone stock 2V longblock

Under Reconstruction for RS275 Drag Radial Class
Pushrods and Powerglide Coming Soon

If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable.
Rookie
Classic Member

What was the result? As a Saab and Mustang junkie, I'll throw out the definitive power stats on the 2004 wagon. If it is an Aero model, it has a 2.3 liter high output turbo that produces 250 bhp. I've seen stock 9-5 Aero sedans (lighter than the wagon of course) do 0-60 in about 6.1 seconds. The sport mode on the doesn't affect boost, unfortunately, but it allows the transmission to hold each gear to redline, and sharpens the throttle response. Turbo lag is also minimal, thought still slightly present, on these cars.

I think it would be a pretty fair fight.

SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

If a Saab, any Saab, tried to roll up on me at a light I would probably just let him go. Somebody that delusional might be emotionally fragile and follow you home to burn your house down after you've gone to bed. Not disrespecting the Swedes, I'm sure they make a fine product, but they're just not known to be fast or even remotely quick in any automotive social circles that I'm aware of. I don't know what the 1/4 mile time of the car you referenced might be, but any 5 speed 99-04 GT should reach 60 in less than 6 seconds, and Bullitt already covered what a bone stock GT can do the 1320' in. Pretty sure the Saab is just outclassed in this particular comparison.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
Rookie
Classic Member

I just went back and read that. Yeah, the Mustang would take it. These things tuned are crazy though. How much you can squeeze from a 2.3 is impressive. They are a lot of fun 40-70. They always said it was faster than a Porsche 911 Turbo (the ones from a few years ago, not the current one) from 40-70. Never seen it done, so I can't say.
PONY Member
5.0L Member

My brother has a 97 900 with the 2.0T with a bad boost control valve, meaning the waste gate won't actuate and it just runs the boost right up until it overboosts and hits fuel shut off. He's too cheap to change it and drives like my 89 year old grandma... However, from the few times I've been it it, it has absolutely no ability to get traction once its in boost bellow 40mph. Those cars are set up for true street performance, not drag strips. I would wager that from 40-70 a tuned Saab would overtake a mustang, but drag racing isn't from 40-70

Never Buy an Auto!
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04GTYellowStang View Post
you'll rip him apart, and if you dont, ill rip you apart :p

gl!
i bet you would like to rip a guy apart

1990 mustang gt 5.0l, red, aod- its build time

2001 mustang gt lots of mods- sold
GT Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorties2001gT View Post
Hahaha good stuff. I don't even care that this thread got resurrected after 11 months. It was worth it

Toy: 2002 Mustang GT
Daily Driver: 2010 Ford Fusion Sport
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

LOL, nice guys.

Both of us were basically talking smack about each others cars. We did a little stoplight run here and there and I was ahead and pulling until we hit about 60. I don't like to speed that much and would prefer to not get my car impounded by a cop/crash so I keep it as minimal as I can. The "street" racing that is.

He recently lost to like a 2002 impala and a few buddies of mine were giving him crap about it. That was like an 1/8 though.

@ the comment about ripping people apart. ..Really? lol.
PONY Member

I wouldn´t be so cocky that the Mustang will rip the wagon apart. I haven´t seen anyone speeding on a 9-5 but I have seen several 9-3s speeding and that turbo is fast. Do not underestimate the Swedes.

My two Volvos (a V40 and V50, a T4 and a T5) have left many cars eating dust, and at my high altitude city that includes both of my Mustangs (a 10 V6 and a 03 GT). All cars stock.

2015 50 Anniversary Package GT
2014 Race Red Premium GT Convertible
2003 Silver GT
1981 Ford Mustang Fastback
1966 Mustang Coupe 289 4V
15 years ago 1984 Ford Mustang Hardtop
GT Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorties2001gT View Post
Oh god nasty

03 GT SUPERCHARGED-SOLD
2010 FUSION SPORT
2000 F-350 7.3L SD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page