Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

1997 Mustang Cobra dyno tune?

7K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  whitesnake97PA 
#1 ·
i have a 97' Cobra with the basic bolt ons, C&L CAI, Steeda pulleys, Magnaflow o/r x-pipe and magnapacks w/ a SCT SF3 handheld tuner for power. for the driveline i have a RAM HDX clutch, billet steel flywheel, FRPP alum driveshaft and 4.10's w/ new OEM differential and a Steeda tri-ax shifter. Subrframe connectors are my only suspension mod

QUESTION: Is a custom dyno tune ($450) and a Accufab throttle body ($330) worth getting? i want something simple, period. what kind of power could i find adding this to my combo?

no forced induction/nirtous (yet):shigrin

#2 ·
if you plan on going forced induction later then i would hold off on the dyno tune for now unless you just want it and dont mind paying for another tune

#3 ·
hey i was wondering how you like your magnapacks? i was still undecided between magnapacks or slp? as far as the dyno tune goes i would just hold off.

#4 ·
Don't waste your money on that Acufab, it's worth 3-4 HP AT MOST! The SCT SF3 doesn't have Datalogging capabilities right?
Your motor as it sits now could benefit from more timing so seeing where it's at at WOT would be good info!
At this point doing stuff like changing the MAF transfer curve and fuel trims wouldn't be worth the Dyno price.. $$

#5 ·
I have an Accufab single blade on my cobra, you will notice an improvment in throttle response...is it worth $330? That is up to you (personally I wanted to bolt everything I could think of on my car that was legit)...you really don't need a dyno tune, a few pulls might be fun to see what hp your are putting down however.
I'd recommend making your next mod full length headers...

#6 ·
mustang212: i am talking forced induction in a few years...also buying a new 5.0 :smilie

mustangsvt281: magnapacks sounds awesome. they really start screaming around 3 grand, especially with the x-pipe...everyone knows what is coming for sure. never heard the SLP on our year cobra though

BrutalMetal/2ManyStangs: the TB will help out a lot though w/ throttle response and w/ future mods, right? not too sure about the datalogging, i think it does though. the dyno pulls/tune are something that i personally think would be fun and beneficial for at least a little bit of power and to get some numbers...

any throttle bodies better than the Accufab>?

#7 ·
On a normally aspirated 4.6 4V your not gonna see any benefit switching out the stock TB, it flows just fine for the intake and heads you have!:bigthumbsup

#8 ·
The SF3 does offer datalogging capabilities. I use mine all the time. If yours is older, and doesn't have the capabilities, you can upgrade the software on SCT's website. With the new update, the only difference between the X3 and the SF3 are the preloaded tunes being there. You can still use the SF3 for custom tuning and datalogging.

And $450 for a dynotune when you already have the SF3 sounds pretty high to me. If you don't have forced induction, the going rate around here is around $250. There are 4 different tuners here that are all well known throughout the Mustang world (Randy Haywood, ProDyno, CompAuto, and Fastlane), and some of the best in the business, and only charge $250 if you have the handheld already. You may want to verify that's with you having the handheld.

#9 ·
brutal metal: n/a right now 3-4 RWHP and better throttle response is not bad, especially is future mods are more than likely going to occur, right? that 3/4 wioll turn into 10/15 with forced induction i would think? but that is why i am here asking questions...

Bullitt5339: thanks for the info on the SF3. i am not too savvy with it really, but i have not driven my car in 9 months since i am overseas so i kinda forget the ins and outs of it. as for the dyno tune, maybe it has to do with the area i am in? i do not really know how many tuners we have around the Pittsburgh area, but from what i can tell people absolutely LOVE the guy that i am going through. i will have to look into that though. good info....thanks

#10 ·
The stock Cobra throttle body flows over 1000cfm, which is enough air to feed a seriously modified big block. I think it was tested at 1089cfm, but that's just pulling a number off the top of my head, it's close though. That means it has the same flow capabilites as a Holley Dominator Carb, which is only used on the biggest, baddest carb'd engines. So I don't see much need to upgrade throttle bodies on the n/a Cobra or Bullitt.

#11 ·
that makes sense, but what is the total cfm of the 4v "B" heads on the intake side? would you take the flow of each intake port, add them together and have more than 1089cfm? is that even how that works>? you are making valid points, but i am just trying to learn. appreciate the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.