Looking at a 2000 Mustang GT. Anything I should know? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011
Redlyr

Looking at a 2000 Mustang GT. Anything I should know?

Hey everyone. Greetings from the V6 boards.

I'm most likely going to be looking at a 2000 GT this weekend. I know my V6 cars pretty well but, I am not so educated in the GT models. What are some of the common problem areas I need to look for on a 2000 model? I've heard vacuum lines can be a problem in the 4.6L. What else?

It is a base GT, Atlantic Blue, cloth seats (I hate leather so this is a plus), 5-speed, 18x9 2000 Cobra R wheels, hood scoop, 01+ spoiler (I think...), 107k miles. Otherwise, I think it is stock. I didn't get to talk very long. He says the interior is good, clean title, and the exterior is good minus the usual blemishes of a 11 year old car. His asking price is $5,000. I think I could talk him down to $4,500-4,700 as it sounds like he needs the cash for a work truck. KBB value is $5,470 in "Good" condition.
What do you guys think?

Here is the pic from the ad:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3n63k03l45O35Z55X5b2r8deaeefd6bcc1456.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	123631  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Looks good, of course its all about the test drive. 5K seems like the a good place to start, than talk him down from their. I would just keep a close eye on any aftermarket parts. I would say, a stocker will hold up real well. Deff nothing out of the usual on a 2V. Just look for the typical like any other car.

2001 GT Mustang

Cheers!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011
Apprentice

Garage
I've had my 2000 GT for 6 years now, up to 177,000 miles and so far the only major problem has been the cracked intake manifold, like most. But if the thermostats working then that shouldn't happen (theoretically). It seems like you know Mustangs pretty well, so if the engine sounds good to you, then it probably is!
Good luck!

#ZombieCobra lives!!!

2000 Mustang GT, all black, was an auto - now has a 2004 GT engine with 5-speed (and maybe a cam?), BBK throttle body, SR CAI, BBK headers, BBK X-pipe, BAMA X4 tuned!

Body to be defined later...

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011
PONY Member

Sounds like a good deal and its a great looking car

2003 Zinc Yellow Cobra
Stiegemeier Stage 6 Ported Blower
2.76 upper / 4lb lower
K&N intake / LFP Throttle Body / Dragon Plenum
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011
PONY Member

Garage
Hi everyone, new to the boards and looking at an 02 GT 5-speed with 70k, similar to the OP. This thread has been pretty helpful, only potential issues I've really heard are the intake manifold and the trans clunk depending on what fluid it has. Anything else specific to the 2v 4.6's or the car in general that I should specifically look for in this mile range?

Thanks
Justin

2002 Mustang GT: 5-spd, 96k: CAI, IAC restrictor plate, Mac Prochamber O/R, Borla Stingers
268 rwhp / 312 lb-ft

2015 Chevy Colorado 4cyl, 6-spd manual
1972 Yamaha CT2 175cc
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011
PONY Member
4.6L Member

The biggest complaints I have heard about are the plastic intake cracking and fuel pump issues. Both are cheap fixes, but just a bother to have. Other than that, it all depends on how it was treated. The miles aren't too bad. Take it for a test drive and listen to your gut.

2oo1 Mustang Cobra Convert.
My mods? I'll tell you once we cross the finish line.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011
Apprentice

From a private party seller I would get a carfax on the car. If you don't know the person you don't know how honest they are being and getting a carfax can tell you if it's been an in accident (in theory)

I had an issue once where I got a car from a guy on craigslist and found out later that it had been in an accident.
Knowing if it's been in a car accident would be a good thing to know. You might even be able to get the seller to buy one for you.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011
SHELBY GT-40 ULTIMATE Member
4.6L Member

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to jim293
Looks pretty nice. Good luck I hope you can swing the deal.

2002 Saleen S/C Coupe
#293 Torch Red
21st Century Intercooler & Heat Exchanger
Brembo Brakes
Corbeau Seats
#14 RMR (Red Mustang Registry)
Power in the hands of a few
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redriderjf87 View Post
Hi everyone, new to the boards and looking at an 02 GT 5-speed with 70k, similar to the OP. This thread has been pretty helpful, only potential issues I've really heard are the intake manifold and the trans clunk depending on what fluid it has. Anything else specific to the 2v 4.6's or the car in general that I should specifically look for in this mile range?

Thanks
Justin
Oh dude, whatever you do absolutely DO NOT get an '02!! These are even worse than the 1974-78 Mustang II. They are prone to spontaneous combustion and demon possession. I have a Jewish friend who has one and he swears he hears the car making anti-semetic slurs while he's driving it.

Okay, so I laid it on a little thick there, but I'm sure you musta figured out I'm just kidding by now.

Everybody else's advice so far has been pretty spot on. These cars, assuming routine maintenance has been kept up on and the car was not beaten like a redheaded stepchild with a speech impediment, should be very reliable. Maybe even bulletproof to some extent. My best advice on this is that if you're serious about this or any used car then before making the deal insist that a mechanic of your choosing (and cost) give a thorough look at the car; look for any signs of abuse or neglect and if at all possible perform a compression test and leakdown test so you know for the most part that the engine is in sound condition. This may cost a couple hours of labor at whatever the going rate is, but when everything checks out you will be purchasing a car you can be confident in.

Good luck, and if you get it post back with some pics.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page