worth it to buy a 4v motor? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

worth it to buy a 4v motor?

do u think it would b worth the money and work to swap out my 2v for maybe a 03/04 mach 1. or 00/02 cobra 4v motor. because i cant afford an 03/04 cobra 4v

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011
PONY Member
S197 Member

I don't know the year of your current car... but by "law"... if you going to swap an engine, the engine have to be the same year or newer. For example, if your car is a 2002, you can buy an engine that is 2002 to present. Legally you cannot go for a 2001 or older.

When you are deciding to swap an engine... you need to talk to the shop that will do the work, to talk about clearances. Also, will your tansmission handle the new engine you want to install. You might have to do an entire drive train... engine, transmission, and rear end.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Garage
Man if you're looking for a Mach motor, might as well just buy an entire Mach 1 in my opinion. You can pick one up for around 15 grand with low miles and you pay GT insurance.

Mods: JLT Performance Intake, Bassani mid-length headers and hi-flow cats, off-road x-pipe, Diablosport- tuned by Johnny Lightning Performance. 315.8/335.3

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011
PONY Member
4.6L Member

If I were to do it, I would go with a 4V and not the mach; more bang for the buck. The gains with the mach motor would not be worth the effort if you ask me, unless you had nothing to start with. There nothing really different between the 2V and 4V as far as extra parts or plumbing for the install. There is lots of info on this site about this topic so you should be able to find others that have done it and get there feedback.

2oo1 Mustang Cobra Convert.
My mods? I'll tell you once we cross the finish line.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011
PONY Member
5.0L Member

you can get a mach for around 10 grand with decent miles or a 01 cobra 99?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Considering the possible costs and complexity involved (which isn't horrible, but just sayin') I would spend the next however long putting together an intercooled centri kit w/ supporting fuel mods, if you shop around (it's usually cheaper to get all the pieces separately as opposed to buying the all inclusive kit) and do the install yourself (minus tune of course) I bet it could be done for less money and hassle of an engine swap, plus you'll make much better power than either of the swaps you proposed.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011
GT Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badasslx13 View Post
you can get a mach for around 10 grand with decent miles or a 01 cobra 99?

i got my 99 with 110k miles for $7500, it already had eibach springs, 4.10 gears, triax shifter and an x-pipe.

Red 1999 Cobra Vert:

316.6 rwhp @ 6093 rpms
318.1 rwtq @ 4489 rpms

On Just Bolt-Ons And Stock Exhaust Manifolds.

See Profile For Mods.......
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011
GT Member
5.0L Member

swapping your 2v for a 4v is going to cost MORE than selling your current mustang and buying a mach 1. a mach 1, for the most part, is a cobra without the supercharger...

87 Mustang GT Convertible
"WhiteThunder"
209rwhp/297rwtq
Mods: bbk cai, accufab 70mm tb & egr spacer, bbk catted hpipe, flowmaster americanthunder catback.
PARTIAL RESTORATION IN PROGRESS
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2V View Post
Considering the possible costs and complexity involved (which isn't horrible, but just sayin') I would spend the next however long putting together an intercooled centri kit w/ supporting fuel mods, if you shop around (it's usually cheaper to get all the pieces separately as opposed to buying the all inclusive kit) and do the install yourself (minus tune of course) I bet it could be done for less money and hassle of an engine swap, plus you'll make much better power than either of the swaps you proposed.

my motor has 162k miles on it so i dont think it would take boost at all
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Brutal Metal
There's no 2002 SVT Cobra engine available in the USA and the only 2000 version is the Cobra R, a 99 or 2001 Cobra is the motor that's available

99 SVT Cobra-Teksid.020(284ci)
Stock HCI,Manley Pistons & H Beam Rods
Polished Vortech V-2,Reichard 3.10/6.75ATI(14lbs Boost)
GodSpeed SpecV Intercooler,60's,Twin Aviator's,
04 SVT Tank/Twin Hat,SCT-BA5000,BF IRS Brace
MPH Powerpipe,ProCharger BPV,
Mac O/R H & 2.5 CB
Vogtland Springs,Bilsteins,MM CC Plates,Steeda Tri-Ax,MT ET Streets
Home of Worlds Fastest All Ford Outlaw 10.5 Car 4.03/200.80 Fordspeed Racing
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrantley View Post
Man if you're looking for a Mach motor, might as well just buy an entire Mach 1 in my opinion. You can pick one up for around 15 grand with low miles and you pay GT insurance.
For $15K you could get a 50K mile 03/04 Cobra which is Way More car than a 03/04 Mach!

Mac O/R H & 2.5 CB
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutal Metal View Post
For $15K you could get a 50K mile 03/04 Cobra which is Way More car than a 03/04 Mach!
I agree the firged internals are definitely a plus, but from what I have found Cobras for that price tend to have been raped and abused, while Machs are "usually" in a little better shape

Mods: JLT Performance Intake, Bassani mid-length headers and hi-flow cats, off-road x-pipe, Diablosport- tuned by Johnny Lightning Performance. 315.8/335.3
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Totally depends where you look, if you buy a Terminator from an SVTP member chances are your gonna get a NICE ride! Guys have known one another for years and when a certain person decides to sell he has Lots of guys that can attest his reputation and the cars quality..

Mac O/R H & 2.5 CB
PONY Member

Again, I'm facinated by the way the responses go off on a totally different tangent, effectively ignoring the original posters question!

Obviously, he has a rather limited budget to work with, so I would have to assume that if he can't afford the $6500 price tag of a brand new, fully forged, Aluminator crate motor, then a $15k Cobra probably isn't on his radar either.

Used, or refurbished, complete 4 valve motors from a Mach 1, Marauder, or Lincoln Aviator, which are all basically the same, can be had for anywhere from around $2k to about $3500, depending on mileage and condition. Used to replace a blown up or otherwise trashed stock 2 valve, they would provide a decent power bump, with considerable future potential, but unless you are doing the swap yourself, the labor costs might make the whole thing a little less attractive.

2003 Torch Red Ford Mustang Mach 1 5-speed

Sold on July 21, 2012!

August 2012 AmericanMuscle.Com Calendar Centerfold!

New Ride: 2011 Shelby GT500, Black/Silver Stripes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page