Vin on dash & tile dont match on 1996 Mustang GT - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

Vin on dash & tile dont match on 1996 Mustang GT

I bought a 96(not sure now) Mustang Gt and I lost my bill of sale so I went and got another one. When I went to tag & insure it I looked at the dash & noticed that it didn't look right so I got my bill of sale out & checked. The 1st 5 numbers match but none of the rest. Can I fix the problem or did I just get screwed?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011
GT Member
4.6L Member

did you buy from private owner or a dealer?

Red 1999 Cobra Vert:

316.6 rwhp @ 6093 rpms
318.1 rwtq @ 4489 rpms

On Just Bolt-Ons And Stock Exhaust Manifolds.

See Profile For Mods.......
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to drifter18533434
take the BOS and the car to a local HYWAY PATROL office and explain to them--Looks like a misprint--the number on the car will be right

4.10 gears-- boss manifold- bama tunes-6sd manuel-- 19"wheels, staggered-Roush CAI--J&M LCA--- Alum 1pc driveline--93 oct fuel only
-Pypes LTH w/catted X pipe GT500 Muffs-- BBG TB 85mm--Moroso coolant alum tank

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

I bought it from an individual
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011
Apprentice

I'd check and see if the numbers match up within the car. I can't remember the locations for the mustang but check the drivers side door frame and maybe the engine block and see if the numbers match.

Also, maybe you might want to check with a carfax or vehicle history report and check both the vin on your car and the one on the bill of sale and see what they say.

I assume you have the car title? Check that too... maybe the seller just put the wrong number down.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

I have the tile and the vin in the title and the frame of the car match they come back a 95 v6 convertible and it has 4.6 n it and says gt on the fenders
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011
Apprentice

Is it a convertible? If not then things make very little sense. If it is a convertible then maybe someone swapped a v8 into the car at some point. I'm not sure if it will have it but see if there is a vin stamped on the engine block.

Also, I would check with the seller... I would probably see if he would take it back since you have no idea what (or who's for that matter) car you have. You could run into some issues down the line both with the title and you never know, it could be stolen or have stolen parts. The seller should know and should have told you if the engine was swapped and told you that it is a 95 not a 96.

If the seller does not want to take it back but knew about these issues you could probably take this to court but that's gonna be your deal if you want to keep the car or not. I personally, would want to get as far away from this as possible.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011
PONY Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member

Did you run an autocheck or carfax on it? How much did you pay for it?

10+ Year Mustang owner.
99 Mustang GT - mint condition
-
04 Terminator - Pullied, diablo predator tuner with dyno tune, airbags, MM subs/cc plates, Wilwood brakes, 4 point roll bar, FR500 steering wheel, staggered bullitts, JLT cai, Magnaflow exhaust, mgw shifter

00 V6 - Kenny Brown V6 stuff, Dr Gas x pipe
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Sounds like a carchop to me.

Steal a GT vert, swap the in the VIN dash plate from a salvage title V6 vert. Is the Manufacturer's VIN decal on the driver's side door jamb altered/damaged/unreadable, missing or painted over?

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin
2012 Kona Blue Mustang GT
Roush Phase 2 625HP Supercharger | Black OTT Stripe | 400A | 5.0L | 6MT | 3.55 | HID | SP | CP | BBP | EP | RVC
Mods: Forget it .... too much to list!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page