GT Performance modifications, what is the best bang for your buck? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

GT Performance modifications, what is the best bang for your buck?

Hi, I have an '01 GT, completely stock. I have about $2000 that I want to use to make her a faster. What are the best proven mods that $2000 can afford me? I haved searched and done lots of reading, it looks to me like saving for forced induction may be the way to go, but I know that won't happen for $2000.

Please tell me about your mods, and what you route you think I should go. I'm looking for best bang for my buck.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011
GT Member
4.6L Member

Well with 2 grand, you could continue saving just a little more and get some sort of forced induction.

Or you can take that 2 grand and get a bunch of other things.

Check out this thread for a list of good starter mods.
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...al-thread.html

Toy: 2002 Mustang GT
Daily Driver: 2010 Ford Fusion Sport
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011
S197 Mustang Owner
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to hotshot
exhaust and gears

2007 Mustang GT Convertible Stage 0 E-Force #402 Supercharger, Brenspeed Tune (435/400), GT500 Fuel pump, Clutch Delete Option, Roush Front Fascia, Brembos, California Dream Hood, Qwitch latch flush mount hood pins, MRT Light Bar, J&M LCA's, BMR UCA, UPR catch can, 6000k, Pypes Bombs, Pypes X-pipe, Airbrushed Flame pieces under the hood, Clear corners, GT500 shocks , FRPP P-springs (rear), BMR Adj Panhard, E-Force engine covers
2012 Ford Focus SEL 5Dr with MyFordTouch, Auto-Park, 303A Package,

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011
Rookie
4.6L Member

bama power programer exhaust coldiar intake that wont help power that mutch but it will help throtle response biger throtle body 4:10 gear,s intake manifold port and polished . that should give u 55 to 90 hp. and make it a totaly new car. andd fast as hell
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00saleen9244 View Post
bama power programer exhaust coldiar intake that wont help power that mutch but it will help throtle response biger throtle body 4:10 gear,s intake manifold port and polished . that should give u 55 to 90 hp. and make it a totaly new car. andd fast as hell
00saleen9244, any idea what throttle body, and intake manifold combo would yeild those results? I imagine if you upgrade the throttle body you would need a larger diameter air intake tube and could no longer use the stock one.

Also with the bama power programer can you tune as you mod, or are there just a few programs in that one too?

One other question, how does the larger throttle body and different intake affect highway mileage?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

What do you guys think of a cam upgrade as a start for best bang for your buck? Like a comp cam XE262AH, better low and mid end TQ, or something of that nature.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011
Apprentice

Whats the best bang for your buck.....

Gears and exhaust my friend,for the most noticable bang for your buck under $2000
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011
Rookie
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_stoop View Post
00saleen9244, any idea what throttle body, and intake manifold combo would yeild those results? I imagine if you upgrade the throttle body you would need a larger diameter air intake tube and could no longer use the stock one.

Also with the bama power programer can you tune as you mod, or are there just a few programs in that one too?

One other question, how does the larger throttle body and different intake affect highway mileage?

i would go with an accufab70mm throtle body and the intake tubeing and filter dosent realy mater u can pick up a spectra for less then 100$ . if u get the tuner frome american mucle every time u upgrade ur car u let them know and they will write a new tune for u for free. and the intake and throtlebody will give u 5 to 7 more mpg.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

for 2000 bucks get hitech stage 2 cams degreed installed and dyno tuned. my local speed shop charges around 1400 for cams installed degreed and dyno tuned(if you have a tuner or it will be more. price might run a little higher depending on your area.

1990 mustang gt 5.0l, red, aod- its build time

2001 mustang gt lots of mods- sold
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00saleen9244 View Post
i would go with an accufab70mm throtle body and the intake tubeing and filter dosent realy mater u can pick up a spectra for less then 100$ . if u get the tuner frome american mucle every time u upgrade ur car u let them know and they will write a new tune for u for free. and the intake and throtlebody will give u 5 to 7 more mpg.
Since when does a tb and cai give your car better gas mileage? Especially 5-7, I dont think that information is correct.

96 fobra. pi cams, pi intake, 4.10s, pro 5.0, and magnaflow.
the winner isn't the one with the fastest car, but the one who refuses to lose.
PONY Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorties2001gT View Post
for 2000 bucks get hitech stage 2 cams degreed installed and dyno tuned. my local speed shop charges around 1400 for cams installed degreed and dyno tuned(if you have a tuner or it will be more. price might run a little higher depending on your area.
+1

and fyi you're getting fed some bad information. A pp intake manifold + tb + tuner won't give you anywhere near 55-90 hp. Canned tunes are good for automatics or gear swaps in stock sn95 GT's but performance wise for forced induction or internal NA work getting a dyno tune is the way to go.

10+ Year Mustang owner.
99 Mustang GT - mint condition
-
04 Terminator - Pullied, diablo predator tuner with dyno tune, airbags, MM subs/cc plates, Wilwood brakes, 4 point roll bar, FR500 steering wheel, staggered bullitts, JLT cai, Magnaflow exhaust, mgw shifter

00 V6 - Kenny Brown V6 stuff, Dr Gas x pipe
Rookie
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quik00gt View Post
Since when does a tb and cai give your car better gas mileage? Especially 5-7, I dont think that information is correct.
intake makes u pull more air not fuel
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Ok, from some of the research I have done it sounds to me like any larger throttle body will just improve throttle response. Apparently these engines are not choked up like some others, and by putting a larger TB on, it just means that at 1/4 throttle you can feel the difference because the valve is essentially open larger than compared to stock. But at WOT it won't make any difference because the engine can only draw so much air/fuel mixture as is. Intakes can make a difference on stock engines but you may not be creating more power, just tuning what you have into a different range, ie. more horsepower but less TQ. Most often it always seems like that is the tradeoff.

I have been looking into comp cams Xtreme Energy™, XE262AH camshafts. They claim more low end TQ and HP, but after contacting them I found out they are not able to post dyno reserch results. Not too sure why.... bu there is a good build that was done at www.musclemustangfastfords.com just search "Comp Cams Ford Mustang Two-Valve Install - Mild-Too-Wild". These cams made impressive gains but they were also helped by bulding the motor to benifit from that type of cam profile.

I'm not going to touch the bottom end of my motor, or pull the heads for that matter (unless something fails), so I'm not too sure how much benifit I would see from a different cam on an otherwise stock motor. Anyone know?

I like where Hotshot and TUTS are going with this, exhaust and gears. Gears (3.73) for sure, and exhaust... well maybe. I'm sure the only benifit I'll see from exhaust would be headers. But I'm tired of messing around with leaky headers (experience from other vehicle type installs) and header bolts backing out. Also from what I have read is that shorties show not much benifit anyway vs stock manifolds.

Basically what it boils down to is that I would really like to put something together for this thread where one could see that yes, this mod worth this much will yeild this much power.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorties2001gT View Post

What did your dyno result look like before and after the cams (or do you have them?) and what mods were done beforehand? The unfortunate part of all of this is that there is no dyno in my area so I would be looking at finding a pre-fabbed tune.
SHELBY GT 350 Member

cold air, exhaust, tune, gear, UPR suspension, drag radials

That would fit into your budget and make a day and night difference!

Like us at Facebook.com/TeamUPR
Follow us on Instagram @uprproducts
Ask me about the discount on UPR Products for AFM members!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page