which s/c set-up? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

which s/c set-up?

I'm about to purchase a s/c but, vortech v-3 with aftercooler is cheaper than 2.1L kenne bell kit. My question is kenne bell without intercooled is better than vortech? i like street driving and i'm not trying to get crazy hp either.

3.73, shorty headers, spin tech mufflers, sf3, udp, cold air intake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member

vortech will make more horsepower per pound of boost because it's more efficient, but the kb will make much more low end torque. It's not a big deal if you have a manual trans because you can keep it in boost, but if you're auto, you might like the kb better.

Like us at Facebook.com/TeamUPR
Follow us on Instagram @uprproducts
Ask me about the discount on UPR Products for AFM members!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011
PONY Member
4.6L Member

The Kenne Bell will sound 15x cooler. Plus you will NEVER have to explain to some car noob on how it is supercharged and not turbo charged. I cant even count the number of times a guy will look at a vortech 'charger at a mustang show and be like "oh so its turbo'd" Just go with kenne Bell. Twin-screws all the way.

Black with saddle 1996 Mustang GT convertible. Manual. NPI, 2v 4.6L. Full bolt-ons.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

actually, i am impress at kb but my car has 75k miles on it. Im really looking at kb w/o an intercooler. I really dont know if this is going to be a better set-up vs vortech with aftercooler because of high mileage? I can control my driving habit and i do like low end torque. thanks

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011
Banned
4.6L Member

The mileage doesn't mean anything if you have the proper fuel components and a good tune.
Comparing centri's with twin-screws is like comparing apples to oranges, kinda. There are advantages to each.
Either way, you're gonna spend a ton of money, and then you're gonna spend more money when you realize that you're really going to want an intercooler later on.
Putting a supercharger on a car without an inter/aftercooler is stupid. Trust me.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member

ATI ProCharger for the win. Just sayin'.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011
Apprentice

the kenne bell is awesome. just installed mine last weekend. awesome power. if you get a kenne bell make sure you get a new alternator if it wasn't recently replaced because they now turn backwards with the kit and won't last. mine lasted 1 kilometer.

412 rwhp 417 tq, 1999 gt , stock 4.6 sohc, 2.1 kennel bell, upr rear control arms, strange 10 front and rear, borla s type, built diff, 3.73, stage 3 snow performance kit.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharad View Post
ATI ProCharger for the win. Just sayin'.
thanks man. I was looking for centri before but i think I am going for kenne bell because of the instant power.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99GTottawa View Post
the kenne bell is awesome. just installed mine last weekend. awesome power. if you get a kenne bell make sure you get a new alternator if it wasn't recently replaced because they now turn backwards with the kit and won't last. mine lasted 1 kilometer.
thanks for the heads up and I think my alternator need to be buried anyway. Also what about my suspension upgrade to plant this power to the ground? I was told that lower rear control arms and poly bushing will help? Is this sound about right? thanks

Rookie
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burninrock24 View Post
The Kenne Bell will sound 15x cooler. Plus you will NEVER have to explain to some car noob on how it is supercharged and not turbo charged. I cant even count the number of times a guy will look at a vortech 'charger at a mustang show and be like "oh so its turbo'd" Just go with kenne Bell. Twin-screws all the way.
Lol I can relate. I have a v2 Vortech and I dont know how many people have said that to me.
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badzki01 View Post
thanks man. I was looking for centri before but i think I am going for kenne bell because of the instant power.

You'll be happy with the KB. I installed one on my dad's car.

I put a ProCharger on mine:

SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Definitely spring for the intercooled KB kit, you'll regret it if you don't. You will severely limit your potential for future horsepower growth without the intercooler.

2001 Dark Highland Green Bullitt
[email protected] naturally aspirated on a bone stock 2V longblock

Under Reconstruction for RS275 Drag Radial Class
Pushrods and Powerglide Coming Soon

If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable.
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Send a message via AIM to mell0
definitely go intercooled. especially if you're running in hawaii. you're going to want to get those intake temps as low as possible.

2002 Procharged GT
351rwhp, 353rwtq
12.503 @ 113.08

PONY Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99GTottawa View Post
The kit comes with the hardware to place the alternator 'backwards'. That is usually the first thing (after the blower) people notice when they see my engine compartment.
See the pic:

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=77457

2002 GT Zinc Yellow Premium Edition, Borla Stinger Catback, MRT Catted H, KB 2.1L 9#, Accufab 70mm TB, FRPP 3.73 gears, SCT custom tune, street/strip valve body, Mach 1 Grille Delete/Chin Spoiler/Brake Upgrade, Bullit suspension kit, Steeda UCA/LCA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page