Need Some Advice Guys: To Sell or Keep - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Need Some Advice Guys: To Sell or Keep

Well I've been meaning to post this up for awhile since I found out I'll most likely be going on international exchange this coming fall a couple months back. A little background, the Bullitt I currently have is my second Mustang. She's my baby, every penny I made every summer during high school went towards her. Anyways I'm currently a college student and it looks like I'll be going overseas for about 9-10 months this coming fall. While I've been tempted to let her go since college has taken up pretty much ALL my Mustang time, I've managed to keep her in my possession these past couple years.

Now here's the million dollar question: Should I try to sell her before I go on exchange? Or should I just have her stored for the duration?

Here's the cons with the storage issue:
Chances are it'll be outside (don't worry, it would be covered and probably under a tarp canopy of some sort).
For those who don't know, in AK the temperatures will range from 65F to probably -40F (during the time I'm away, Sept to Juneish).
The vehicle most likely won't be driven during the duration, I don't want to get it all winter prepped just for starting and driving it up now and then.
Problems with car may arise from storage.
Deappreciation of car value. Car's been kept mainly stock so I'd probably be able to fetch a decent price for it if I've sold it now.

Pros are of course I get to keep the Bullitt . But then again, I've always wanted to dink around with aftermarket parts and exhaust...don't really want to do that to a semi-rare car. So if I did sell it I'd probably come back and just buy a used GT that would be a little bit more mod appropriate.

Now if I managed to sell it, I wouldn't have to stress out about her while I'm gone. That's one thing I'll let you guys in on. I worry about my car A LOT. Also, I'm at a point where I've been able to land decent paying jobs during summer. If I'm lucky, I could sell the Bullitt and upon my return possibly upgrade to a 05-09 GT. Of course, if I return with less funds than anticipated, a beater is in order . I've also thought about just buying an older GT when I come back, that way there I'd probably worry less about a car that's not in showroom condition and just have fun moddin the hell out of it.

So what do you guys think? Being an engineering student has taken all my time, which is why I'm also considering selling it since I haven't really enjoyed driving it since last summer. Any suggestions would be appreciated guys. Thanks!

Old Ride: 1998 V6 Mustang...all show, no go. CAI and UDPs.

New Ride: 2001 Bullitt Mustang #4802. K&N Filter, MGW Short Throw, Viper Start and Alarm System, and the Blizz.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

I would try real hard to find somewhere indoor to store it with a caretaker who will go out and start it once a week.

Lots of people have to store their cars under less than ideal conditions every winter, so one way or another you and the Bullitt should be ok.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Thanks for the reply SoCal. That's what I've been thinking. There's actually a guy who lives about a quarter mile away from me with a 8+ garage storage unit. Maybe I'll see if i can talk some turkey with him.

New Ride: 2001 Bullitt Mustang #4802. K&N Filter, MGW Short Throw, Viper Start and Alarm System, and the Blizz.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

As much as we'd like to think it, the Bullitt isn't really "rare", it's just a special edition. They made 5800 of them, so I wouldn't worry about modding it (obviously........). Store it somewhere, and mod it tastefully. I've seen 12k mile Bullitts sell for $12k, and modded Bullitts sell for $12k, so it doesn't really affect their "collector" value.

Now, I had a 1995 5 Speed T-Bird Supercoupe that was one of 780ish, and I tastefully modded it, nothing too crazy, and it actually sold for more than a bone stock one because the mods were well thought out, not crazy, and well done.

If you sell the Bullitt, you'll end up regretting it. Take it from someone who's done similar things before.

2001 Dark Highland Green Bullitt
[email protected] naturally aspirated on a bone stock 2V longblock

Under Reconstruction for RS275 Drag Radial Class
Pushrods and Powerglide Coming Soon

If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Thanks for the reply Rich. I'm definitely going to look into some storage solutions, see what I can find.

You guys got any suggestions if I did end up having to store it outside for winter? I've read older threads about storage and I've been finding tons of conflicting information and opinions. I'm thinking just oil change, full tank of gas with stabilizer and trickle charger for the battery. Of course wash and wax before puttin a breathable cover over her. Tires are pretty shot so I'm not too worried if they get flat spots . If I got her inside for the duration, probably just have her started and driven occasionally.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011
Apprentice

Keep the car, bro. I mean, come on, it's a 'Stang, and a special edition one at that. Just try to keep her safe and when you return you won't have to deal with buying a new one.

2003 Mustang GT
Mods: K&N Drop-In Air Filter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page