Alternate solution to wheel spacers? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Alternate solution to wheel spacers?

I recently installed some lowering springs and I just realized inset my 9" rims are. I found these spacers that would fit the look I am going for. (a medium between tucked in and sticking out).

Mustang 1994-04 Wheel Spacer, 1/2" Hubcentric, Pair by Maximum Motorsports at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

But I can't justify paying 80 dollars for an aluminum plate. So are there any alternate methods that I could use? Why can't I simply put 1/2" nuts or washers on there and call it a day?

Black with saddle 1996 Mustang GT convertible. Manual. NPI, 2v 4.6L. Full bolt-ons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011
Rookie

It's a common misconception that it is the lug nuts that holds the wheels onto axle hub. In fact it is the friction between the two mounting surfaces that do the job; the lug nuts and studs just create that friction.

Doing what you described above would most certainly result in sheared studs, because you are no longer mating the surface of the wheel and the hub together.

'96 GT (resurrected from a yard)
Eibach pro kit, KYB's, SFC's, CC plates, ORX, tubular RCA's (crap), aluminum rack bushings, cross drilled/slotted rotors, 255/45ZR17 Kuhmo's

'98 GT ragtop
CAI, UDP's, PP upper plenum, BAMA tune
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRYANLZ1 View Post
It's a common misconception that it is the lug nuts that holds the wheels onto axle hub. In fact it is the friction between the two mounting surfaces that do the job; the lug nuts and studs just create that friction.

Doing what you described above would most certainly result in sheared studs, because you are no longer mating the surface of the wheel and the hub together.

+1 +1, +1!!!

Unless you want your car to be passed by all four of your wheels out on the road, do not do what you were asking about! Fork out the $80 for the spacers. It's only $80 for piece of mind.

C&L 80mm mass air, Mac CAI, BBK 65mm tb, Steeda ud pulleys, MGW shifter, RAM HD clutch and aluminum flywheel, 3:73 gears, 2.5" Dynomax o/r x pipe, 3" MAC cat back system w/ 3 1/2" tips, Kenny Brown(front and rear strut tower brace, caster plates, subframe connectors,extreme matrix brace,jacking rails, torque brace, lowering springs), Tokico D-Spec shocks, 03-04 Cobra(side scoops, rear bumper cover, top), 6pt roll cage, white FR500's, FMS 2000 Cobra R air dam, Steeda race wing, VIS carbon hood.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011
PONY Member

I paid $150 for my 25mm (1") spacers for my 9" 03 Cobra's , worth every penny for the peace of mind knowing that the wheels will stay mounted . Won't you also need to buy the deep reach wheel nuts with those spacers you posted ?

2000 Spring Edition ZY Mustang GT Convertible ....BBK CAI , BBK 70 MM TB , Flows , Hypertech Tuner , Vogtland 1.6" Springs , Tokico HP , MM CC plates , Steeda flsfc's , Bullitt Calipers , D/S 13" rotors , 03 Cobra Alum 17" mini-spare , Chrome Saleen 18x9/18x10 , 265/295 35 Potenza's , sequentials , rear honeycomb , smoked headlites , tint , CDC Bar , Mach chin spoiler , black bullitt fuel door , speedster tonneau .
!996 Pearl White/Black Lincoln MarkVIII LSC .... stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
question , spacer , wheel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page