AFM Power pipes and what a PITA they are - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011 Thread Starter
Banned
4.6L Member

AFM Power pipes and what a PITA they are

I ordered an Anderson Ford Motorsports Power pipe for my car.
The Vortech stock inlet pipe is a piece of garbage. It's black. It's plastic. It's ugly, and even worse, it has a piece of dryer hose that connects the inlet pipe to the MAF/Air filter.

So... I found the best price on the AFM Powerpipe on CJ Pony parts. Shipped pretty quickly.
The instructions for the install look as they were written by a kindergarten age child that is mentally disabled. They refer to everything as an "elbow."
So it basically says "use two elbows (not supplied) and rubber hose and connect one plastic elbow to the metal elbow, connect the other elbow to the metal elbow on the side with no welds to the existing plastic elbow."

I have a Vortech aftercooler. It says I need to chop up my hoses and attach (guess...) elbows to them.

It turns out I didn't need to do all that because I left enough hose so that it has some flex and will clear the Powerpipe, which is much larger than the original inlet pipe.

The finish on the AFM Powerpipe is absolute garbage. It looked great until I test fit the pipe. I had to test fit it, because before I can use it, I have to drill holes in it and have a fitting welded on to run my bypass valves.
My setup has two bypass valves. I guess others only have one.
So in the process of installing and uninstalling the pipe, the finish became marred, scratched, and scraped to the point that it looks like hell. It is rather a pain in the ass to fit it into the small space that it needs to fit into.

The Vortech inlet pipe used a mount on the inside of my fender well to secure the MAF/Airfilter. This, of course, will not work with the AFM Powerpipe due to space constraints. In addition, I had to bust out the dremel tool, and modify my Lightning 90mm MAF housing in order to let the air filter sit further down on it, otherwise the air filter wouldn't fit in the fenderwell at all.

I went into this project thinking it would take me about 20 minutes. Wrong!!!!!
It's gonna cost me more money and already sucked up two afternoons worth of modifying my already modified parts and driving all over town looking for someone who has a TIG welder to weld aluminum. Hopefully the only guy I found to do it can accomplish it without blowing holes in $226 dollars worth of aluminum with ****** finish on it.

I had damn well better get every bit of 2lbs of boost out of this thing.

The finish will be redone by Reggie. Can I say that on here? The "R" word? It will be powder coated (more $$$) but while I'm at it, I'll have him do the finish on the outlet pipe too. It's ugly.

I'd be hard pressed to recommend this piece of equipment to anyone at this point. I'm sure I'll be happy with it once it's installed. It'll definitely look better than the original inlet pipe, but it's going to be a week or two before I can even get it installed.

On the bright side... UBL is dead.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Send a message via AIM to mell0
yep. if i were you i would have built my own out of PVC pipe. costs less than $20 and you can paint the damn thing however you want it. i know a bunch of guys that made their own and saw 1-2psi of an increase in boost.

sorry to hear about your troubles. sometimes the simplest of installs are the biggest PITAes. thankfully my procharger intake flows well enough for me to never want to spend $200+ on some damn piping.

2002 Procharged GT
351rwhp, 353rwtq
12.503 @ 113.08

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011 Thread Starter
Banned
4.6L Member

Yeah, I'm pretty sure people told me to do that on that "other" forum.
But I'm hard headed, and look where that got me.
This project has been doomed since the word GO...

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

I wouldn't say DOOMED, you've actually done pretty well. You've just run into a few things that were tough to install, and a few small problems along the way.

2001 Dark Highland Green Bullitt
[email protected] naturally aspirated on a bone stock 2V longblock

Under Reconstruction for RS275 Drag Radial Class
Pushrods and Powerglide Coming Soon

If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011 Thread Starter
Banned
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt5339 View Post
I wouldn't say DOOMED, you've actually done pretty well. You've just run into a few things that were tough to install, and a few small problems along the way.
Yeah... It's not technically difficult at all. It's just annoying as **** for a friggin' intake pipe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page