96 cobra Quick mods to make it close to 400horsepower? - Ford Mustang Forum
View Poll Results: Change gears to 4:10?
Yes 8 88.89%
No 1 11.11%
Won't help much 0 0%
don't waste your money 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Any Suggestions? 96 cobra Quick mods to make it close to 400horsepower?

I am getting my engine rebuilt and wanted to know the most common modifications I can use to boost my torque as well as my horsepower? I was thinking of the under drive pulleys, cold air intake, tuner, and complete x-pipe exhaust with headers....suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Any specifics on the rebuilding of your engine? Stock, stroked, more compression? Will need to know that. You'll need a good amount of work to get 400rwhp N/A though. Nitrous or SC will get you there quick.

2014 Mustang GT, A6, Grabber Blue
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Exactly what ^he said. [email protected] crank is doable, [email protected] tires is gonna be a little tougher. FWIW, if it were my engine I would skip the pulleys, build a stout bottom end and do the heads along with some lt's and then go straight for a centri blower. If you have another $1500 or so kicking around for the parts alone, then go crazy and get some cams as well. With a good bottom end you can push lots more, but for conversation's sake even mild boost like maybe 8 or 10 lbs will put you well beyond 400 at the tires (keep in mind that 400rw is about 450 at the crank) and I think when all's said n' done be more cost effective than a n/a build. Or you could just spray the crap out of it, that's relatively cheap too.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Help on parts?

Well, then what do you suggest overall...brand, website to order from...I'm trying to get the parts ordered this week so that once I take my car to be done they can just add everything on. I was just going to get it rebuilt to original stock....but add a few mods. So, then a cold air intake, tuner, x-pipe with headers.....and you are saying cams? How about gears? Also, you mentioned about the bottom end and heads???? I'm new to buying the mods....this is my second cobra owned....never did any mods on my first. Thank you for all the help too!!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011
Apprentice

American Muscle is a good site to order parts from. Free shipping.

2003 Mustang GT
Mods: K&N Drop-In Air Filter
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

I have been looking at American Muscle...more than likely I will order from them since they seem to have a few things that I may need. I just spoke to the guy who will be doing my cobra and he said it won't be back to stock. So, with a little performance upgrade and taking a look at the pistons and what not...he said I will be close to 400 horsepower bout time he's down providing I grab the few external upgrades since he is doing all the internal work. So, I believe I'm going to get a x-pipe w/ headers, cold air intake, steeda under drive pulley...comments?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011
Banned
4.6L Member

first of all to get to 400 NA will require a stroker engine...check out MMR or Sean Hyland, cams for the heads and a great exhaust are also needed..of course everyone who is reading this is thinking "build it and boost it"...really it's the best way to real power
Personally I'd just get a Terminator engine takeout, swap it in and off you go...sell the motor you have to help finance the deal....builds take forever, and alot of times whoever is doing it has no clue what they are doing and botches the job.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Wait a minute, what Sam Hell is going on here?? There's a gears poll at the top of the page, but the OP's question has absolutely nothing to do with that.

I voted "Yes", btw. Which one of you buttholes voted "No"?!

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Ford a cobra, I'd say do 4.30 gears. Although, I was not the butthole that voted no You have some more revs to play with than a 2V. My Mark VIII loved the 4.10's. If I had known that my mpg's wouldn't decrease as much as I thought before hand (dropped 1mpg going from 3.08 to 4.10) I'd have gone with the 4.30s and really turned heads.

As for the 400HP. If this is a street car, a stock 4V with a good exhaust and an intake to clean up the engine bay, with a dyno tune for 93 and 4.10-4.30 gears should be enough to make you grin. If you need more power, 8-10psi, done, don't mess with things like underdrive pulleys and the like.

Never Buy an Auto!
PONY Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Comp Cam Stage 3, Stage 3 heads,Better Motor Mounts, Tranny Mounts, Better Cooling, Intake Manifold, Air Intake, Longtube Headers, Flywheel, Stage 2 Clutch, Gears, New Trac Lok, S/C or Turbo !

" Granny shiftin' not double clutchin' like you should. You're lucky that hundred shot of NOS didn't blow the welds on the intake "

Wait Til My VTEC Pops
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

People keep talking about the 430 gears...what difference does it actually make? When going down the highway at 70mph how how high are your rpm's? Do you suck down more gas as it's going down the highway? I want something powerful, but staying local travel with not going to the gas station every other day. Gas is not cheap now a days...Suggestions?
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

If you're worried about gas mileage, you probably have the wrong car to begin with, and probably shouldn't mod it.

But to answer your question, my Bullitt with 4.10's still gets 22-24mpg on the highway. We're putting 4.30's in this weekend, so I'll try to take a little trip to figure out what I will be getting, but I don't expect much, if any drop in fuel economy.

If I had a N/A 4V, it would have 4.30's in it from the get-go. B headed cars need all the help they can get down low in naturally aspirated form, and they love to rev, so it's a perfect match for one.

2001 Dark Highland Green Bullitt
[email protected] naturally aspirated on a bone stock 2V longblock

Under Reconstruction for RS275 Drag Radial Class
Pushrods and Powerglide Coming Soon

If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable.
PONY Member
5.0L Member

You can save all the money that you would have spent on a supercharger or turbo and use it for gas and new rear tires with your 4.30 gears. If this is street driven primarily, the 305hp turning 4.30 gears, the thing will be almost trying to drive itself off the road.

As for MPGs, with my Mark VIII, I noticed almost no difference in highway mpgs. Set the cruise at 70 and make sure your exhaust doesn't drone and you/ your wallet won't notice much... except for the fact that the car will be much more lively.

Never Buy an Auto!
Apprentice
5.0L Member

3.73 or 3.90 gears and a Vortech V-3Si

I only recommend less than 4.10 gears because the only way you're going close to 400 is supercharged..

1994 Cobra #1661 347, T-56, Alcon brakes, driver mod

1997 Cobra # 0612 bolt-ons (the wifes car)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page