Power Adder vs. Bolt Ons...... - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Power Adder vs. Bolt Ons......

Everyone says skip bolt-ons and just do a power adder. I'd have to disagree to a certain extent.

The green Bullitt has full bolt-ons including suspension, but hindered by a broken spider gear, so one wheel peel is in effect. 266rwhp.

The silver convertible has exhaust and CAI and a 90 shot of nitrous, but no suspension work at all. 320ish rwhp.

Which do you think is more effective to add first? Build a foundation guys, stop worrying about dyno numbers so much. I think that's a common mistake most guys make when modding their first Mustang. They worry about the dyno numbers too much.

YouTube - Stock 2v 4 6 engine Mustang in the 12's

2001 Dark Highland Green Bullitt
[email protected] naturally aspirated on a bone stock 2V longblock

Under Reconstruction for RS275 Drag Radial Class
Pushrods and Powerglide Coming Soon

If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011
Rookie

Mustang gt

I was wondering what you think of the auto in a 2002 gt. Want to put a whipple on it. Just bought my boy a five speed. Had a lot done to it. What a neat little 5spd. I know nothing about the Fords. I was the king of diesels for 12 hrs. Let me know whatcha think about the auto.thnxs! Doc.

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011
PONY Member
S197 Member

HOnestly there's a fine "blance". Bolt ons are a must to support the power adders. The car must breath better; CAI, headers, true dual exhaust system.
The car must handle; swaybars, shocks/struts
The car must handle the extra power; clutch, transmission, rear end and coolant system. Not to mention 4 or 6 pistion break system.

These are a few things and it doesn't ahve to be in that order. The problem comes in when you try to go really crazy, like triple the stock HP. There's more to making the engine "right" before you can slam those gears.

But in the long run... if you are not going to a race track... just driving on the street, etc. You are ok just buying the systems that are meant for a stock car. yeah,it may only yeld 80-100HP extra, but at least its safe.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.performance View Post
I was wondering what you think of the auto in a 2002 gt. Want to put a whipple on it. Just bought my boy a five speed. Had a lot done to it. What a neat little 5spd. I know nothing about the Fords. I was the king of diesels for 12 hrs. Let me know whatcha think about the auto.thnxs! Doc.
The 4R70W is a great transmission. If you want a Whipple, I'd suggest a 3600 stall converter that maintains the lockup functions, a J-Mod (just a version of a shift kit) and a tune to adjust the converter lockup and shift timing.

Once this Tremec dies, there's a very good chance that I'll end up with a 4R70W in my car instead of a 5 speed.

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Send a message via AIM to mell0
bullitt i understand your reasoning but am going to play devil's advocate here for obvious reasons.

sure, if you're a track junkie with another car to DD then by all means build it from the ground up to maximize traction. however, if you're like most of the guys on here then a power adder isn't a bad idea. i see the strip 4-5 times a year and daily drive the crap out of my stang. having the extra 100+ horsepower is a lot more "useful" on the street than having slicks, weight reduction, and a drag oriented suspension. and at the same time it allows a certain handicap at the strip when you line up against folks like yourself who are very experienced track go-ers with track prepped cars.

just the other side of the story really... my .02 is to build the car to your suiting. don't listen to others' rants on bolt ons are useless, or you have to go supercharged, or learn to drive because you can't squeeze out fast times with what you already have.

i'm by no means an experienced racer (20 years old with less than 40 1/4mile runs under my belt) but i can cut decent times given i have street tires and a rather stiff suspension.

2002 Procharged GT
351rwhp, 353rwtq
12.503 @ 113.08

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Some of you are missing my point..........

I get tired of people saying that bolt-ons do nothing.

I get tired of seeing people build 500rwhp cars that run 13's.

I get tired of seeing people complain because they bought that new supercharger, but have Sumitomo HTR-Z's on the car and then complain about traction.

My "Build a foundation first" rant isn't geared towards just 1/4 mile racing. It's geared towards anyone who enjoys driving their car to it's full potential, whether that be a 1/4 mile, autocross, road race course, or simply enjoying some added power on the street.

You don't build a house starting with the shingles, but in reading a lot here lately, that's what the majority of people are worried about.

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011
Apprentice

am i the only one focused on the fact whipple doesnt make a supercharger for an 02 gt?

you would have to buy the tork tech unit to be able to mount the whipple to a gt motor.

2004 Mustang GT - Daily Driver

2012 Shelby GT500 - VMP upgraded supercharger, American Racing headers, Corsa Catback, JLT intake
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011
PONY Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via AIM to Meehlimo Send a message via MSN to Meehlimo Send a message via Skype™ to Meehlimo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt5339 View Post
Some of you are missing my point..........

I get tired of people saying that bolt-ons do nothing.

I get tired of seeing people build 500rwhp cars that run 13's.

I get tired of seeing people complain because they bought that new supercharger, but have Sumitomo HTR-Z's on the car and then complain about traction.

My "Build a foundation first" rant isn't geared towards just 1/4 mile racing. It's geared towards anyone who enjoys driving their car to it's full potential, whether that be a 1/4 mile, autocross, road race course, or simply enjoying some added power on the street.

You don't build a house starting with the shingles, but in reading a lot here lately, that's what the majority of people are worried about.
Well said sir! i fully agree with this right here^^

Show mods: Blackout decklid, ultra clear fogs,HIDs 6000k,mach 1 lip, mach 1 grille delete ,stalker hood, Gt scoops, Gt rear bumper, Rear window louves, 01 cobra rims, cobra calipers, cross drilled slotted rotors, two tone paint.

Go Mods: 8.8 Rear, 3.73s, Borla Stingers, JLT Rai,93 oct Perf tune, worked over 4r70w, custom shift kit.

V8 Swap 100%done

2016 Premium Mustang GT Magnetic Gray H-pipe Roush Axle backs.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

so then how would you have gone about building my car given the mods/power it has now? keep in mind i am a fan of a well rounded car. my mods are in my profile if you want to get an idea.

2002 Procharged GT
351rwhp, 353rwtq
12.503 @ 113.08

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mell0 View Post
so then how would you have gone about building my car given the mods/power it has now? keep in mind i am a fan of a well rounded car. my mods are in my profile if you want to get an idea.
I think your car is a well rounded street car. Same with Rabbit's car. You did the right things at the right times, and it's a nice car that fits the purpose you built it for. If I was going to build a daily driver, moderately powered Mustang, you two's cars would fit the bill.

My rant wasn't geared towards cars like yours at all.

PONY Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Ive seen this before but its still awesome. The bullitt is soundin mean.

Like stated above, you do have weight deduction without the seats and front sway bar, and you were on slicks. That said, you were also using a messed up rear end.

So i enjoyed the rant, thank you for putting faith into bolt ons :yelpleased:

The top reason I love bolt ons is because there is no saving my money involved. I can get a new bolt on every two weeks and itll keep me happy for those two weeks
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop_shot789 View Post
I can get a new bolt on every two weeks and itll keep me happy for those two weeks
lol my supercharger has kept me happy for over 2 years.

2002 Procharged GT
351rwhp, 353rwtq
12.503 @ 113.08

PONY Member
4.6L Member

yeah i need suspension work done =/ lol

01 Gt Vert 4r70w

[4.30's][ bullitt intake]
[Flow's 40 series][ BBK H PIPE <-- Dont buy]
[stock tq converter ][Sct Canned 93 tune]
[Driver Mod][ [email protected]]
PONY Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mell0 View Post
lol my supercharger has kept me happy for over 2 years.
Ha good point...
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Just a though... how much money in bolt ons would it take to make a PI GT run down a PI gt with nitrous, a tune, axles and slicks... otherwise stock.

Now, nitrous obviously wouldn't make your car any faster on the street, unless you spray like an idiot, and the bolt are car would be much more fun... but if you want to drive a car m-f, then turn decent times at the track...

Never Buy an Auto!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page