1996 Mustang Convertible Top Latch - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

1996 Mustang Convertible Top Latch

I've got a 96 mustang that has, I think, a latch problem. I'm having a new top put on and for the last few weeks I noticed that the top doesn't pull down all the way, lots of air. It seems to me that when you latch the top it kinda goes off center, I mean it seem to tighen up them releases. The shop I took it to has adjusted it as much as possible even re-threading the hook to try to get more latching, but nothing seems to work. I'm not apposed to putting another latch on, but the shop wonders if we don't have other problems. It worked well for 5 years can't believe the window posts are bent, anyone ever seen somthing like this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Sounds like a bad latch to me. But also before you go replacing things, I would recommend to 1). check that it isnt catching on anything. 2). Rig-up a way to keep the top down and locked in place. Hearing that you had just replaced the top made me think that it isnt broken in yet. The canvas has to stretch out to perfectly conform to the frames. If it didnt, then you would have puddles of water. Just give it a little time to break in. If nothing, then start replacing.

Black with saddle 1996 Mustang GT convertible. Manual. NPI, 2v 4.6L. Full bolt-ons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page