04 mach 1 or 04 cobra - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

04 mach 1 or 04 cobra

i havent been on the site in a while. i had to sell my last gt.. i am now able to afford another mustang. i really dont want a brand new one. so i got my eye on a mach 1. my question is which would be better to do. a mach 1 and supercharge it my self with a procharger or just avoid the hassel and spend the extra for a cobra. i hear cobra have horrible rears. and i really like the look of the mach. plus it is always surprising to people when they think you have a stock car and blow doors off.. what is everyones opinion. need some feed back

2005 gt mods include c&L intake,steed ud pullies, violator x pipe w/flowmaster mufflers,hurst shifter,custom tune by evolution motorsports.
319 hp 333 tq rearwheel!!
aperance mods include. xeon side scoops with louvers,classic chin spoiler,shaker hood scoop,18x10 rear and 17x9 front wheels.painted stripes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011
GT Member
4.6L Member

The Cobra. Hands down.

Toy: 2002 Mustang GT
Daily Driver: 2010 Ford Fusion Sport
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011
PONY Member
4.6L Member

i like the idea of a procharged mach 1

1998 GT full bolt on, HP: unknown ET:14.3 @ 97mph

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011
PONY Member

Both are great cars. Personally I would take the cobra because it's already supercharged, but a procharged mach 1 would be really cool & I really like the shaker hoods. The cobra rear end is only a problem during drag racing because wheel hop is very easy on those cars, compared to the live axle cars, but both cars have the problem stock. They make kits to fix both so its really a decision of what you want, I would get the cobra and kenne bell it, and you wont have to worry about the bottom end on the cobra because its all forged.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011
MACH I Member
4.6L Member

I say just go for the cobra. But if you ended up with a mach that would be sweet too, especially blown.

-04 Mustang GT-Intercooled Kenne bell 2.1L supercharged @10psi, bolt ons, 3:73 gears, big brake upgrade, some suspension, 315's rear.

-08 Corvette Z06-B&B exhaust, K&N filter.

-12 Tacoma Prerunner
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011
PONY Member
4.6L Member

The cobra will have that sweet supercharged engine stock so thats a plus, it has all those forged parts in it stock so thats another plus.

With that said a mach 1 can be made to be completely equivalent to an 03-04 cobra because it shares a lot of similarities between the engines for example the heads are the same "C" heads.

Its your choice if you want it supercharged stock get the cobra if you want the mach for its looks and potential of being a snake slayer:p someday get the mach!

I personally am biased so i tried to keep it "technical" lol. Good luck bro for me its mach 1 all the way!

MY PONIES

2000 White Ford Mustang V6 (Auto) SOLD
2003 White Ford Mustang GT (5-Speed) SOLD
2003 White Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Vert (6-speed) "Oreo"
2003 Black Ford Mustang Mach 1 (5-speed) "Black Knight" SOLD
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

yea its a hard choice. now witch is a better transmission. a cobra with the 6 speed or a blown mach with a 5 speed. the five speed are going to have longer gear ??? just looking for the best bang for the buck. what horsepower is a mach 1 capable of with a stock block? and with a kennebelle 2.2 how much horse extra does that give the cobra ??? any help here.

2005 gt mods include c&L intake,steed ud pullies, violator x pipe w/flowmaster mufflers,hurst shifter,custom tune by evolution motorsports.
319 hp 333 tq rearwheel!!
aperance mods include. xeon side scoops with louvers,classic chin spoiler,shaker hood scoop,18x10 rear and 17x9 front wheels.painted stripes!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Check out these two vids maybe they might be able to help you out a lil bit it just illustrates how if you mod out both the mach 1 and cobra they are very evenly matched. Click on the Vids TO SEE THE MODS THAT EACH MACH AND COBRA HAS...

The machs and cobras in these vids seem to be EXTENSIVELY modded keep that in mind haha. The first vid hearing how the mach and cobra sound just gives me goosebumps haha damn!

These are two sweet vids of modded 4-valve stangs goin at it and this is kinda what you get when you put the exact same engine minus a supercharger and SOME forged parts it pretty sweet.

NOTE: Stock for stock though the cobra will come out on top because that supercharger will easily pull on a mach I dont live in a fantasy world haha.:p

YouTube - Cobra vs Mach 1

YouTube - 03 Mach 1 vs. 03 Cobra

MY PONIES

2000 White Ford Mustang V6 (Auto) SOLD
2003 White Ford Mustang GT (5-Speed) SOLD
2003 White Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Vert (6-speed) "Oreo"
2003 Black Ford Mustang Mach 1 (5-speed) "Black Knight" SOLD
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011
PONY Member
5.0L Member

buy both then give me which ever one you decide not to drive

Dark Satin Green 1999 GT
| SCT | K&N | Accufab | B&M | H&R | MM | Flows | Mac | FRPP | Nitto |

Yes, I do hate BBK
PONY Member

You can pretty much achieve stock Cobra levels by just adding an 8psi Procharger and supporting mods to a Mach 1. But to get down and dirty with the big dogs, you have to forge the internals on the Mach 1, and pretty much upgrade everything from the cooling system to the rear axles!

I have to admit, it's fun to play, but first you have to pay, and it ain't cheap!

2003 Torch Red Ford Mustang Mach 1 5-speed

Sold on July 21, 2012!

August 2012 AmericanMuscle.Com Calendar Centerfold!

New Ride: 2011 Shelby GT500, Black/Silver Stripes
GT Member
4.6L Member

Both are great cars but cobra would be cheaper in the long run.

03 GT SUPERCHARGED-SOLD
2010 FUSION SPORT
2000 F-350 7.3L SD
NBK
PONY Member

Although I love both, the Cobra would be my choice.

NaturalBornKillers.
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
It all depends on your preferences regarding show vs. go and which is more important to you. I personally like the looks of the Mach I far better (currently fighting off the urge to throw a Shaker set-up on my '11) but the S/C and forged internals of the Cobra would win out in the end for me. However, I would ditch the IRS and swap in a straight-axle set-up as soon as a I could afford it, lol (just another personal preference). Keep us posted in what you decide, and post pics of course .

Jason

'14 F150 4x4 SuperCrew 302

SOLD
'11 GT MT w/ 3.73s and some bolt-ons
550 RWHP / 490 RWTQ
11.94 @ 123, 1.84 60 ft.
Wannabe Sleeper
Rookie

Id go mach1, but Im a N/A guy. S/Cs are kids toys for the most part, easy bolt on power a highschool drop out can do. Id suggest doin it right and buildin a monster from the ground up.

2000 Mustang "Boss 302" in progress project
1985 F250HD Supercab 460BB 4x4 daily driver
2004 Mitsubishi Galant Wifes driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page