4.6 build lots of questions - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

4.6 build lots of questions

alright lots of questions bear with me looking for help here. please answer what ever you can. heres the situation. 97 vert supercharged is what i got. its fun but tired of it already. was looking for possibly getting a 5.0 but cant seem to get rid of the car so looks like i may just end up building this one. im basically wanting to go all out on this build. sick of toying around. The thing i know im doing is going turbo. i do have a set of ross forged pistons #99806 and pi heads. Basically here it is. want a 10 sec car know several honda guys in the high 10s and it PISSES ME THE **** OFF! keep heads and piston? bore out block? teskid or regular 4.6? what clutch holds that amount of power? will my stock tranny hold it? doubt it but where would i buy one? axels? will they hold or should i upgrade? what cams are good for boost? what kind of valve springs? heard certain ones will cause valve slap. anyone know anything about cryo treating? Crankshaft i think im good eagle makes one beleive it said hold upwards of 750 or more. was looking at on3performances turbo kit. they any good?

i may have missed some stuff but theres a lot going through my head and i need to make a list and start doing some research and figured any info you guys could give me would be great. i still wanna be able to drive it on the street but i also wanna smoke the **** out of my honda friends. thanks in advance for any info.

"friends dont let friends drive chevy's"

1997 Gt vert. vortech V1 supercharged 10ls boost

380hp 391 tq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011
GT Member

I would check with nick at modularheadshop.com give them a call they got a good selection of turbo cams along with great head work from what i hear i would send your heads to him get atleast stage 2 work and get a set of cams that would go good with what you want out of the car.

The block i would keep save the money on buying the aluminum block your block will hold up to what you want out of it also modularmustangracing.com has a good selection of rotating assemblys and im sure you can just get a crank, and rods.

Also lethalperformance is a good site to check out just keep in mind your compression ratio if your gonna run high boost dont know what pistons you have but you probably wana try and stay around 8.5-9.0 on your compression there is others on here that know alot more than i do but i figured the sites would get you a good start.

If you dont mind looking for some used parts check out the classifieds on here and svtperformance.com

Also it might help a little if you could give us a budget you have if you do have one lol.....Good Luck!!

Life is to short to live it pissed off cherish who and what you got while you can!
Free speech isnít so free when it comes to protected classes and races, is it?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

The piston part number is above. budget i was hoping around 5g to start but probably will be more but thats where im shooting around. ive heard stock blocks in these 4.6's arent great for that hp but seem to be different opinions all over. used parts are no big deal at all. if they good who cares save some money. Stock tranny or is there an after market one i would need to get. i know with 5.0s they definitly will not hold that much hp.

380hp 391 tq

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011
Banned
4.6L Member

well first of all decide how much this little grudge is worth to you because you are talking big bucks to build up your car...
My first rec would be to buy a whole termi motor, sell the supercharger stuff and add turbo, a stroker 4.6 with teskid block is nice, add PI or Trick flow or 4 valve heads for plenty of flow.
No your little t45 will not even begin to handle the power, it will need a T56 and a stage 2 clutch...then you will need major suspension work, fuel system work, tuning and then some.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

its not just the grude ive had the car for 3 years and little by little since i got it added something here got bored something else got bored ect. figure i need to do this right and just build it up and while im at it smoke some hondas. stroker 4.6 i actually googles that and on another mustang forum they said that those have a lot of issues and its not good to even bore the block more then .20 over. was looking at the on3performance turbo system and if i bought that it needs tubular k member and would throw a arms in there as well. what else in the fuel system besides a high flow fuel pump and injectors?

380hp 391 tq
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

heres another question how hard would it be to swap a cobra motor into it new wiring harness? i know i would need the ecu ive seen some terminators running 600+ stock motor. that would be fine. would that be easier? sorry for all the questions i just need some info as where to go.

380hp 391 tq
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011
GT Member

Yes you will need a k-member for a turbo fuel upgrades will consist of fuel rails (if going over 500 hp), injectors, fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump to supply the amount of fuel you will need, also you will need a 90mm maf if you dont already, im not sure on how much your stock lines will hold up to but if i was you i would just invest into a cobra tank make it alot easier on fuel pumps to make sure your getting your fuel. You may have some of these things but if your wanting big power i would say sell your car buy a termi thats just my opinion cause after you sink the money in this car then you coulda put that money down on the termi and lowered your monthly payments!!!

Life is to short to live it pissed off cherish who and what you got while you can!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

yea been trying to sell the car actually just seeing and in two months got a few fraud replys and one today for a trade for a bronco lol. theres one online for 20k in my area. dont really want payments again but if i have to then it would be worth it for a cobra. although my insurance would be through the roof

380hp 391 tq
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

but then i still gotta put a bit into that to make it what i want what those motors good to?

380hp 391 tq
Apprentice
4.6L Member

WWBD ???
I would wait until Bullet replies and see what he would do.

WWBD (What would Bullet Do)
GT Member

I would say for what your looking for you may end up spending more than 5k and you really will if you buy the suspension parts to handle all this but my suggestion if you really wana do this to your car bore your block 20 over, get a good forged rotating assembly, blah blah blah you know what all you need to support you HP wants you need the fuel, and internals to hold up to it as far as motor wise you can build your motor or buy a short block from MMR if you put the money difference together on building your motor to buying a short block its not gonna be far from each other expecially if your not doing the assembly yourself on your motor.....it has been proven that 2 valve motors can make very good power its just how much money do you wana spend that is gonna depend on how much power you will get 2v or 4v thats your choice doing the research or having someone with the knowlege tell you if its worth switching to a 4v is up to you.

If 5k is your budget then look at your options on ways to go on your build add it up and see which comes out to the better build to suit you and future mods if its....build your block, buy short block, buy long block, 2v vs. 4v......just keep in mind what your going to need on fuel upgrades, k-member for turbo, tranny upgrades, clutch upgrades, suspension upgrades, tune, fluids, gaskets if you build it!!!

Add it up and you will be very surprised building a motor/car is not cheap at all lol but i wish you the best of luck in which route you take were here to help you its easy to leave little things out of a build that add up very fast and by the time you know it your so deep into it just make sure you add everything up before you start... planning is always better!!

Also dont know what your relating to as wanting a 5.0.....talking about 94, 95 5.0 or a fox???? Your block will hold more power than a stock 5.0 pushrod motor!!! As far as installing a 5.0 in your car it has been done but your talking ECU, wiring harness so on so on!!

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

i mean selling my car and building a fox or sn95 5.0. parts seem to be a bit cheaper on those cars. checking into terminators now. this cars on craigslist seeing whats available. dont want payments on a new car but 16k for one isnt bad. theres one for 15k but 93k miles 2004. little high but not bad

380hp 391 tq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page