1996 GT Rear Brake Caliper Identification - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

1996 GT Rear Brake Caliper Identification

Okay, before I ask, go ahead and post in the beginning of your reply, "I'm an idiot!"

I pulled off all of my brake calipers, and originally marked them before pulling them apart. I got the bright idea to sand blast and paint them at a friends house, and in doing so "I erased my marks" telling me which caliper parts went to which side.

So, I now have two rear brake calipers in pieces, painted a nice VHT Caliper Paint Red, and a rebuild kit waiting to go back together. I see on each of the "Brake Caliper Brackets" there are numbers stamped on each, one is "195H" and one is "233H"

Could anyone tell me which side, which one goes on, i.e., 195H goes on the RH Caliper, or 195H goes on the LH Caliper? The Caliper bodies are stamped RH and LH, plus they are pretty easy to figure out which side they go one without the stamps. Unfortunately the engineers weren't kind enough to do so with the Brackets. I looked over the Caliper Brackets and I don't see any differences in them, and appear to be universal for either side? If anyone can confirm this before I put everything back together, it would help.

Much Thanks!
Dethan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011
Apprentice

I dug out the original brackets for my '97 (ok, they were just in the next room) I have them in the replacement boxes. The replacement boxes carry identical part numbers. The original brackets themselves are identical right down to the markings. It doesn't matter for the brackets.

You could go to rockauto and look at the photos to figure out which caliper goes to which side if the brake line connection doesn't make it obvious.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97GT12 View Post
I dug out the original brackets for my '97 (ok, they were just in the next room) I have them in the replacement boxes. The replacement boxes carry identical part numbers. The original brackets themselves are identical right down to the markings. It doesn't matter for the brackets.
Thank you very much, I was looking at them and they appear to be the same in dimmensions, markings, and everything except those two stamped numbers. I guess I'll put them together and see what happens?! I'm assuming/hoping nothing...

Last edited by dethanb; 10-04-2011 at 02:26 AM. Reason: Forgot to close quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page