Ford Mustang Forum

Ford Mustang Forum (/forums/)
-   4.6L Talk (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/4-6l-talk/)
-   -   Need help painting Rims (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/4-6l-talk/315831-need-help-painting-rims.html)

86VERT 10-09-2011 05:48 AM

Need help painting Rims

I am going to stick with my stock rims for a lil while and decided to paint the
Black
Has anyone seen / done it before ?
2001 mustang GT 5 star rims

Should I use dupicolor rim paint or engine block high temp paint
Should I get like 140 grit sandpaper n sand the rims down?
And was thinking of using acetone to wipe wheels after sanding then hitting them with primer then putting the paint coats

Any suggestions please?

Derfdog15 10-09-2011 10:44 AM

wet sand, wash with soap and water, wet sand, wash, dry, rustoleum automotive primer, dry, wet sand, rustoleum engine enamal, wet sand, re-coat, wetsand, re coat....rinse and repeat as needed.

willyg1997 10-09-2011 01:04 PM

I did my 5 stars in gloss black following above instructions. Turned out nice, but it is a lot of work to get gloss black to come out looking good. After all that work, yeat later I went with flat black, little easer to do and gave the car a meaner look. For the flat I went with dupicolor, the are holding up good.

86VERT 10-09-2011 03:06 PM

3 Attachment(s)
So....

1. Sand Down 120+ Grid
2. Rub Acidtone
3. Primer with light grey
4. Wet Sand
5. Rub Acidtone & Dry
6. Paint Rim with paint
7. Use Clear Coat
8. Let Dry.

Yes...?

Here are some pictures..

Derfdog15 10-09-2011 05:45 PM

sounds about right, also know that the lip will chip easily any time new tires are mounted or old ones are dismounted, so think about leaving that unpainted, otherwise you have to touch it up whenever you change tires.

Also watch out for clearcoat, as sometimes it causes bubbling and requires a whole rim to be redone.