Bonehead of the Year Award - Enter Here - Page 5 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member
4.6L Member

^hahahaha. That's the perfect reaction.

If we're including all our F-ups, not just mustang ones, back in my hoodlum days when I first got my license I was so excited to drift in the snow in my Ford explorer.

But the problem is that it was still fall, but the ski hill already started making snow and it would blow into their parking lot. So I went there to go do some donuts in the lot.

Long story short I hit some ice going about 20 and smashed into a curb sideways. I didn't think much was wrong because it drove fine. But my dad watched my drive away from the house and found out that there was about a 4" range of motion in my rear axle.

I was driving on the highway at 65mph with 4" of movement on my wheel! New axle and rear assembly later I was back on the road. But a little more careful this time. lol

Black with saddle 1996 Mustang GT convertible. Manual. NPI, 2v 4.6L. Full bolt-ons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member

i have you all beat lol i pluged my exhuast up with some paper towels (to keep the mice out) anyways went to start it without realizing that i had left the paper towels in the exhuast lol. good thing the paper towels went flying and no damage was done lol

a man's most expensive hobby started with a 97 cent hotwheels

1999 saleen s281sc vert 11k miles #261/421 built 1/170 vert 1/10 exact combo
2000 Roush v6 sport 78k miles
post #63 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member

Garage
Fyi for the future, mice will chew that up and bring it right up to your cats.

Mods = None. (well maybe just a few)
DB-Performance Tune: 634rwhp @ 6000rpm , 609rwtq @ 4000rpm, (500rwtq @ 2500rpm)

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyg1997 View Post
Fyi for the future, mice will chew that up and bring it right up to your cats.
yea i figured lol was more of a "ill know if i got them" kind of thing

a man's most expensive hobby started with a 97 cent hotwheels

1999 saleen s281sc vert 11k miles #261/421 built 1/170 vert 1/10 exact combo
2000 Roush v6 sport 78k miles
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

I almost had spark plug blowout yesterday.

My stupid random intermittent misfire (see my threads if curious) has been slowly reintroducing it self, so I thought I would take some crap apart and check all my vacuum lines. Well that task morphed into pulling coils and plugs and closing the gaps on the plugs from their previous .054" to .045", as advised by others who know more than me. I also dicked around with my handheld and made a few changes just for something to do.

So, get 'er all buttoned back up, tune loaded and go to start. Engine cranks, BAM! "Oh sh!t, wtf was that??" I get out and start staring at the engine as if something is supposed to be magically obvious lol. Well huh, I'll go try again. Same result as first time, of course.

So I start tginking blown out plug and start looking at the coils to see if any are pushed up. And there it is, that little mothertrucker, #6. So I pull the coil, and of course the fuggin plug comes with it. At this point I'm feeling sick, and can't believe I somehow managed to fk this job up. But I'm sitting there looking at the plug, which I had put anti-sieze on the threads, and it doesn't look like it ever got spun into the head. Stick the flashlight down in the plugwell and all looks good, so I just simply did what I failed to do the first time around - actually install the plug.

IIRC, when I was on #6 the phone rang midway through and I got distracted, and when I came back to it I guess I thought it was ready for the coil to be reinstalled. But damn I really did feel sick to my stomach for a few minutes.

And by the way so far the stupid random intermittent misfire seems to be gone once again.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
post #66 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member

Garage
I bet that was a relief finding the threads still in the hole.

Boy, would that suck to get a phone call in the middle of an oil change. Start her up, and see five unopened oil jugs on the bench. Crossed my mind a time or two.

Rookie

Cougar Screw-up

I have been under the hood, and under cars for a very long time, and I think I have probably made most of the mistakes one can make.
I had just gotten the C4 '68 Cougar trans back from the re-build shop, and my boys and I got it installed into the car.
But before removing it, I had drained the fluid out of the torque converter, and just hand tightened the drain plug.

Once we got the thing running, and re-filled with fluid, we discovered a new leak...long story short, took it back, and later in the day was told that I should have tightened the drain plug. He tightened it, and replaced the lost fluid, and sent me on my way.
SHELBY GT 500 Member
5.0L Member

Garage
My turn. Don't really have anything catastrophic or life changing. I was having trouble with the positive battery cable coming lose. Not realizing it was maxed out already, I was torqing the heck out of it till, SNAP. Ended up walking to the parts store anyway.

Another nice battery story. I came out to the 85 one morning, inserted key, gave it a turn, and . . . . . . . nothing. Got out, checked all connections, all good. Ended up pulling the battery and walking it up to the part store for another. Next day same thing, insert key, give a turn, and . . . . . nothing. WTF!!! This time I pulled the battery, walked it back, dead. Another battery in along with a new voltage regulator. Next day, insert key, give a turn, and . . . . another battery down. SMH!!! Day 3, this time I walked the battery AND the alternator to the part store. Both new parts are installed. Day 4, insert key, give a turn, and . . . . . VROOM. Success, and it only took three trips to the auto part store carrying batteries and alternators.

FYI, the part store is about a mile from where I live, plus I have two busy intersections to cross, one being I-45.

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
post #69 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016 Thread Starter
GT Member

Garage
Bump,

Jon R, here's two years of stupidity... to add to your Oops thread.
JonR2006 likes this.

BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
These are great stories!

Here is mine added...

So.....

As many of you know, I just got my car back together. Well, before it broke I had done rotors/pads/ball joints on the front. My engine broke very shortly after all this...

Well, we go for a test drive (almost 2 months after my car broke with the engine fixed) and I hear some grinding on the passenger front. I figured my caliper froze...I drove it like this for a week; didn't even look at it, just assumed.

I go to look at it this Saturday and I couldn't believe what I saw/did.

The Caliper bolts holding it to the bracket we non-existent (caliper just floating in the breeze) AND only 1 bracket bolt barely tightened down to the spindle. I had forgotten 3 of the 4 bolts......I'm very OCD when I work on my car so I can only chaulk this up to "I was interrupted mid-way through the job with a crying baby."

Ooops...It's fixed now.

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Grimbrand
Back in the late 80s, I had a 1964 Ford Fairlane (my first car) and I was putting in an Accel Supercoil to replace the old girl's dead factory unit. I was busy tuning the engine, and setting the timing on that little 260 v8, when I made my first mistake. I got careless, and managed to get my fingers whacked with that old steel fixed fan. I was so horrified I couldn't even look at my hand for a minute - I was sure I was missing two of them. I could hear my dad's voice playing inside my head, saying things like, "Ever notice how many old mechanics are missing fingers? That's because of metal fan blades and belts." Thankfully, I must've gotten smacked by the blunt part of the fan, and I just had some nasty bruising. My fingers were still there, and even though they hurt like hell, they still worked.

So, after getting over the excitement of that mishap, I wanted to turn off my engine, since I was done setting the timing anyway. Instead of taking the time to get out of my car and turn off the key, I had a brilliant idea:

Why not pull the center lead out of the distributor, so it stops the ignition?

So, kneeling on my chrome bumper in a pair of shorts, and holding onto my brass radiator with the other hand, I pulled off the center plug. Now I know most of you understand a bit about electricity. Your spark leads provide a strong positive charge that wants to go to ground (negative charge), and it will find the fastest, easiest route to do so. My skinny little teenage body was the perfect conduit for all that fire from the new Supercoil (which could jump a half-inch gap as I recall). By the time that engine stopped spinning, sending sparks through me, and died, I nearly did too. If my math's right, I ate somewhere between 50-100 sparks from that big old coil, as the motor wound down. What I can tell you is that I'm pretty sure my heart stopped and restarted quite a few times during the experience, and I was shaky for many hours afterward, not just from adrenaline!

So lessons learned: Don't stick your hand in the path of a steel fan, and don't ever grab the center ignition lead on a V8.
post #72 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016 Thread Starter
GT Member

Garage
Jon, wasn't trying to jack your "Ooops" thread, just adding to it.

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...r-stories.html

post #73 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016 Thread Starter
GT Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimbrand View Post

So lessons learned: Don't stick your hand in the path of a steel fan, and don't ever grab the center ignition lead on a V8.

Lucky boy. Better off sticking your fingers in cider.

SoCal2V likes this.

post #74 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016 Thread Starter
GT Member

Garage
My ultimate Bonehead of the year'S award was, Buying my MUSTANG.

Except my toilet paper role'S are $100 bills, not $1 bills. And many, many, many roles
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1479388956578.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	544345  

GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Grimbrand
If it's money you enjoy spending, it's not wasted, Willy. But I'm thinking money would make some pretty John Wayne toilet paper...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page