99 gt convertible, leaking around window. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

99 gt convertible, leaking around window.

I need some help with a little leaking problem around both windows driver and passenger. I noticed after it rained the other day that both the seats belts were damp and the carpet below as well. when both windows are up you can see at the very top there is a small crack where the window doesn't seal completely to the window next to it. I try and find others like mine to see if maybe im missing something but it looks the same. I uploaded a picture of the crack im talking about

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	All state 002.jpg
Views:	1633
Size:	507.0 KB
ID:	141579  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Unfortunately there's not much that can be done. You can get replacement weatherstripping (places like latemodelrestoration.com sell it) and that might help to a point, but in my experience with these cars (I'm on my second convertible) they will never have a perfect seal, a little bit will always manage to dribble in from somewhere. My car leaks a little in the same place as yours, but not as bad as yours so maybe replacing the weatherstripping on the 1/4 window would be beneficial in your case.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011
Rookie

Mine has the exact same problem and i was wondering if there was a fix! luckly mine doesnt get rain in it, it just makes alot of noise driving down the road!

If you come expecting a fair fight, you are unprepared.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the reply, yeah I had to silicone this one spot around the back window at the corner. I got in my car and kept hearing water splash around i looked in the back and there was a huge puddle in that vinyl cover behind the seat. Glad that was there it would have leaked all over the place.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2V View Post
Unfortunately there's not much that can be done.
That actually isn't true. When I had my top replaced the windows didn't quite line up the same since the top was brand new and very tight. The shop actually went in and adjusted the quarter window so everything seals correctly. You might want to take your car to a local place that replaces convertible tops, and ask them if they can adjust your quarter windows.

C&L 80mm mass air, Mac CAI, BBK 65mm tb, Steeda ud pulleys, MGW shifter, RAM HD clutch and aluminum flywheel, 3:73 gears, 2.5" Dynomax o/r x pipe, 3" MAC cat back system w/ 3 1/2" tips, Kenny Brown(front and rear strut tower brace, caster plates, subframe connectors,extreme matrix brace,jacking rails, torque brace, lowering springs), Tokico D-Spec shocks, 03-04 Cobra(side scoops, rear bumper cover, top), 6pt roll cage, white FR500's, FMS 2000 Cobra R air dam, Steeda race wing, VIS carbon hood.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csull247 View Post
Thanks for the reply, yeah I had to silicone this one spot around the back window at the corner. I got in my car and kept hearing water splash around i looked in the back and there was a huge puddle in that vinyl cover behind the seat. Glad that was there it would have leaked all over the place.
That's a whole different issue, and there isn't much you can do. Ford "electronically" sealed the window to the top, whatever that means. And they are notorious for the seal breaking and leaking water into the convertible top boot. I had that problem with my old top too. I used to leave a rolled up towel in the boot to absorb the water, and just wring it out after a rain. A new top takes care of that though. I tried putting silicone in allot of places thinking I was fixing the leak and I was never able to fully stop it. When you do replace the top, spend the extra $300 and get the 03-04 top. It is cloth(surecraft cloth) instead of what you have now(sailcloth vinyl). The 03-04 top material is supposed to last 7-10 years longer. Mine has been on for a few years and it still looks brand new. And the surecraft just looks so much more expensive, like a BMW or Mercedes style top. Hope this helps too.

C&L 80mm mass air, Mac CAI, BBK 65mm tb, Steeda ud pulleys, MGW shifter, RAM HD clutch and aluminum flywheel, 3:73 gears, 2.5" Dynomax o/r x pipe, 3" MAC cat back system w/ 3 1/2" tips, Kenny Brown(front and rear strut tower brace, caster plates, subframe connectors,extreme matrix brace,jacking rails, torque brace, lowering springs), Tokico D-Spec shocks, 03-04 Cobra(side scoops, rear bumper cover, top), 6pt roll cage, white FR500's, FMS 2000 Cobra R air dam, Steeda race wing, VIS carbon hood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page