SCT Tuner question? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

SCT Tuner question?

I just got done installing 4.10's and a whole new suspension and I got my new written tunes from AM and when I went in to adjust settings I noticed that my gears at set for stock...now is this normal or did AM mess up and not change my tunes for new gears and other bolt on stuff.

MK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012
GT Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Best thing is to contact them tomorrow over the phone! They will be able to look at the file and either re-write the tune and get it right back to you or will tell you what to enter into the tuner yourself until you receive the proper tune. AM/ BAMA is very good about this!

2011 Performance White 5.0 Premium 6spd MT, 3.73's, 401A
Mods: Staggered 18" FR500 wheels with 255 45 18, & 295 45 18 tires, Air Lift Drag Bags, Roush axle backs, Eibach Pro springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard bar, Center Fog grille, MMD Hood Struts,BAMA Tuned, JPC Line Lock, Blowfish Racing Bracket
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

You just need to adjust that parameter with the tuner. I'm not familiar with the SCT, but I'm sure if you flip through the owner's manual for the tuner and it should tell you how. On my Diablo tuner, it is very simple to do, so I can't imagine that it's much different on yours.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012
Banned
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2V View Post
You just need to adjust that parameter with the tuner. I'm not familiar with the SCT, but I'm sure if you flip through the owner's manual for the tuner and it should tell you how. On my Diablo tuner, it is very simple to do, so I can't imagine that it's much different on yours.
Do this ^^^
I've had several tuners and they're all fairly simple to operate as long as you have a basic knowledge of the english language and a finger to poke buttons.
You'll likely wish to slap yourself for posting this question after you find how simple it is. And if you don't, we will gladly slap you for you.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012
Banned
4.6L Member

Here's a user guide if you don't have one. See "user adjustable options."
http://www.sctflash.com/PDF/3000-3015%20small.pdf
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012
Banned
4.6L Member

Take the freaking thing down the road and see if the speedometer is off. If it is, plug in your tuner and change it in the command prompt. If it isn't...then its built into the tune.

The SCT tuner does not read the current program in the computer. It simply changes the values of what ever parameters are in the computer. So, if you are running a stock tune....and you tell the handheld that you want to advance timing +2 degrees...it will add +2 degrees on top of the fuel trim tables in the computer. If you are running an aftermarket tune. and you tell the handheld to advance +2 degrees. It will add this to the fuel trim tables in the computer that are already bumped...this can really jack sh*t up.

Now, on the flip side with gears. I think it is simply replacing the values in the computer. not building on them...(its all just math) for gears and tire revolutions. So, I think...and I repeat...I think. It simply replaces the value in that sector for the speed sensor. However, when you plug in the handheld....its not going to say you already have a setup for a 4.10 or 3.73 or stock. Its simply going to ask tire revolutions and gear size you want to plug in.

Now, here is catch 22. If the tuner checked the box that says the user has the ability to change variables in the tune before he saved the tune file. You will be able to select the tune file for reload and it will allow you the option to change parameters before uploading. If he did not do this and you plug your handheld in to adjust the gear ratio and you just select a different tune. You will over ride the custom tune file with the canned tune file. This will change the gear ratio for sure..but it will also start adding variables to some of the parameters that the costume tune file changed instead of completely replacing the costume tune file stuff with stock variables then turning around and adding the new variables to the stock variables....Sh*t can get really F*cked up doing that.

Best rule of thumb when uploading tunes.....Re-turn to stock. Then up load new tune...becasue, depending on what has been written in the tune file to change in the computer...will determine if its a replacement value or a mathematical value that uses what ever number is in that particular sector as the variable for the mathematical formula.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

I called them and your tuner will always say stock for everything. The SCT tuner will not show what has been changed so tobynt is correct. Just leave it.

MK
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Ok that is fine....if you don't care to read my posts then please don't. My post didn't need stupid remarks considering my question was perfectly legit. I never once said I couldn't use my tuner or that i didnt know how to use it, I was simply asking if its normal to see that in my tuner "as stock". Instead of making arrogant remarks why not just help.

MK
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

By the way, thanks tobynt for your helpful post I appreciate it

MK
Banned
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2V View Post
Just for that I'm going to troll the sh!t out of your threads from now on.
:laughlitt:laughlitt:blowingup:
GT Member

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!

1996 Red Mustang GT - Sold back in 2012 after too much time and money was wasted on it.
GT Member

Why you so mad bro?

You don't act 30, nor do your typing skills.

1996 Red Mustang GT - Sold back in 2012 after too much time and money was wasted on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page