Mustang Mach 1 follow up Pics included - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Mustang Mach 1 follow up Pics included

So today I decided to jump on the opportunity and bought this Mach 1 for 3,000. It has 114,XXX miles and its an auto. I posted a couple days ago that the guy accepted my offer of 2500 but he decided an even 3 grand would be reasonable. Now the car does have 2 misfires, (PO308 and PO306) and I was wondering how hard would it be to take care of those codes? The car drives great, the problem I notice is that when I come to a stop the car tends to jerk a little but when I accelerate it goes away and does not shake or jerk. Once I am at higher speeds the car runs real strong and real smooth. Any ideas what could be wrong? Thanks for the advise.

1996 Mustang GT (Sold to my brother to keep it in the Family)
2004 Mustang Mach 1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
whatt... only $3000 for a mach 1 now? i need to get a deal like that dang

2016 Mustang GT 5.0 Magnetic Metallic Performance Package
Interior - Recaro Bucket Seats, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Mats, Diode Dynamics LED Visor Mirror Lights, LED Glove Box Light, LED Trunk Light, and LED Map Light
Exterior -Dealer Installed Shelby GT350 Racing Stripes, SunTek Carbon 15% Tint, Diode Dynamics LED Switchback Blinkers, LED Reverse Light
Performance - MBRP Race Series 3" Catback
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member

I can't seem to upload photos right now I apologize. I am real glad about the deal I got on the car. :shiny:

2004 Mustang Mach 1

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by '96stangGTpower View Post
So today I decided to jump on the opportunity and bought this Mach 1 for 3,000. It has 114,XXX miles and its an auto. I posted a couple days ago that the guy accepted my offer of 2500 but he decided an even 3 grand would be reasonable. Now the car does have 2 misfires, (PO308 and PO306) and I was wondering how hard would it be to take care of those codes? The car drives great, the problem I notice is that when I come to a stop the car tends to jerk a little but when I accelerate it goes away and does not shake or jerk. Once I am at higher speeds the car runs real strong and real smooth. Any ideas what could be wrong? Thanks for the advise.
congrats! those codes mean you need a tune up. you can do that yourself by replacing spark plugs, wires, or coil packs. whichever is the cause for the misfire if not all. Did you check your brake pads or if your rotors are warped?

missing my GT..
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Guy had just put on new break pads and tires all the way around thats why he decided 3,000 instead of 2500.

2004 Mustang Mach 1
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012
Apprentice
4.6L Member

if it's only when stopping it's something to do with your brakes like frozen calipers, twisted hoses holding back fluid, worn out or warped rotors. I'd take to firestone or some tire and brake place you trust and let them check it out, if it's a concern to you. As for your codes you can do all the work in your driveway, it isnt hard. Unless you want someone else to do it

missing my GT..
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012
Apprentice
4.6L Member

it could just be road crown, unless it's every single time you stop, then it's your car.

missing my GT..
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Yeah I thought it was the road at first but noticed it at every stop light. Once at the stop light the car shakes, The shaker hood shakes a lot but, once at high speeds it's not shaking and runs real smooth. I will try to upload a video tomorrow. I will also be doing spark plugs and coils tomorrow.

2004 Mustang Mach 1
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012
Apprentice
4.6L Member

ah i guess i misunderstood what you put, i took it when you said when you stop the car jerks, as in tires go left or right, not rough idle. my fault

missing my GT..
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Most likely 99.9% it's the coils on 6 and 8, but before you rush out to buy new ones switch those coils over to other cylinders of your choice and then verify that the misfire follows the coils, and be sure to inspect the coil boots when you remove them. A new set of 8 boots can be had for less than the price of one coil.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
GT Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

start with a good tune up and clean the iac, maf and tb. while doing so test your coil packs and when removing the plugs take notice to what they look like. just looking at the plugs can tell you a lot sometimes.

great deal on the car.

03 Mach 1, Full eaton swap,4;10s, slp 2 with mac H pipe, 443 rwhp tuned by Excessive

1990 lx fully built 331 stroker

89 LX lots of goodies
GT Member

Garage
The dude really came down from 7200. Good for you!!! What ever is wrong with it, it can be fixed. Looks like the ^^^^ has the tech stuff covered. Good luck, and sounds like you have a good start.

Mods = None. (well maybe just a few)
DB-Performance Tune: 634rwhp @ 6000rpm , 609rwtq @ 4000rpm, (500rwtq @ 2500rpm)

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Yeah I am exited about this car. It's my fist DOHC and I can't wait to see it run the way it should.

2004 Mustang Mach 1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page