1997 Mustang GT Exhaust Problem... - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

1997 Mustang GT Exhaust Problem...

Hi everyone, I've a 1997 Mustang GT and looking for change my exhaust system however I've got questions, because I don't have enough knowledge and I don't want to do something wrong or weird on my car.

I have stock exhaust manifold, stock h-pipe and after the h-pipe there's no mufflers or resonators, I mean after h-pipe it's just straight pipes. This exhaust sounds very bad, I'd like to hear a real deep Mustang sound. I mean my current exhaust is not tolarable on uphills and before 2300 rpm's.

I'd like to put an custom made x pipe and slp lm1 mufflers or flowmaster super 44's or 40's. I just don't know if I put an custom made o/r x pipe with slp lm1 mufflers is my car sounds good ?
Does this planned exhaust combo requires a tune ?
What size of chrome pipes I need to use? 3 inch? 3,5 inch? 4 inch?
Does this exhaust system make my car less powerful because of o/r x-pipe.
Will this exhaust system damage my engine because of deleting all mufflers and catalytic convertors?

I've read that x pipes for straight through mufflers like slp's are better than h-pipes. Do you agree?

As you understand, I don't have any ideas and I don't want to do anything wrong to my car because it's a Mustang, I think the best way about my problem is asking you people about it.

Stock Shortblock, TFS Heads, MHS Cams, FRPP PI Intake, Longtubes, BBK 78 mm Upper Intake Plenum, BBK Cai, FRPP 3,73's, FRPP 39 lb Injectors, SLP LM1's, Brembo Cobra R Brakes, Eibach Pro System Plus, 4R70W etc..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012
GT Member
4.6L Member

The search button is your best friend. Also, if you're curious about how different setups sound, use YouTube. YouTube will not be as loud, nor as good as it sounds in real life, but it will give you a hint of what the setup sounds like. The different setups usually sound better in real life, and are also louder. No need for a custom X-pipe though, just browse around the web and you'll find good ones for a decent price.

2003 Mustang GT
Intake & Exhaust: K&N FIPK CAI, Mac O/R H-Pipe, Custom Catback w/ Magnaflow Magnapack Mufflers.
Suspension: H&R Super Sport Springs, KONI STR.T Shocks & Struts, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, UPR Elite LCA's & UCA's.
Performance: BAMA 93R Custom Tune, FRPP 4.10 Gears w/ Terminator spec T-Lok.
Planned Mods: FLSFC, Eibach Sway Bars, Throttle Body, Plenum, Rims.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012
Apprentice
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

You can find a X pipe made for your car on just about every performance web site. as far as mufflers go chamber mufflers are deep more old school sound. slp loud mouths are flow threw they are louder not as deep as chambers. you wont damage your engine. And you will gain power.

96 GT 5sp Mac CAI, Mac H pipe,Mac cat back, C&L plenum,255lph,b&m short throw,auburn pro series differential,31 spline axles,ford racing drive shaft, center force clutch,3.73 gears, TKO600, Bama Tune

04 exploer limited

95 vert gt 5sp SOLD!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Does this exhaust setup require a tune ?

Stock Shortblock, TFS Heads, MHS Cams, FRPP PI Intake, Longtubes, BBK 78 mm Upper Intake Plenum, BBK Cai, FRPP 3,73's, FRPP 39 lb Injectors, SLP LM1's, Brembo Cobra R Brakes, Eibach Pro System Plus, 4R70W etc..
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012
Apprentice
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

No you wont need a tune to change your exhaust.

96 GT 5sp Mac CAI, Mac H pipe,Mac cat back, C&L plenum,255lph,b&m short throw,auburn pro series differential,31 spline axles,ford racing drive shaft, center force clutch,3.73 gears, TKO600, Bama Tune

04 exploer limited

95 vert gt 5sp SOLD!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012
GT Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn95stang42 View Post
No you wont need a tune to change your exhaust.
Depends on what setup. LT headers will need a tune, an O/R mid pipe will trigger a CEL unless you use MIL eliminators or use a tune to turn off the rear O2 sensors.

2003 Mustang GT
Intake & Exhaust: K&N FIPK CAI, Mac O/R H-Pipe, Custom Catback w/ Magnaflow Magnapack Mufflers.
Suspension: H&R Super Sport Springs, KONI STR.T Shocks & Struts, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, UPR Elite LCA's & UCA's.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAlsip View Post
Depends on what setup. LT headers will need a tune, an O/R mid pipe will trigger a CEL unless you use MIL eliminators or use a tune to turn off the rear O2 sensors.
Does deleting catalytic convertors and putting an o/r x pipe or h-pipe harm my car ? Or is it just light the "check engine" icon ?

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012
Banned
4.6L Member

Merhaba.... Nasilsiniz

No, it won't harm your car. I wouldn't use anything bigger than 2 1/2" piping.

Are Mustang parts hard to find in Istanbul?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012
GT Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyrabbit0420 View Post
Merhaba.... Nasilsiniz

Yup, though he ought to get some MIL eliminators so it will not trigger the check engine light (CEL). Either that, or get a handheld tuner.

2003 Mustang GT
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAlsip View Post
Yup, though he ought to get some MIL eliminators so it will not trigger the check engine light (CEL). Either that, or get a handheld tuner.
I dunno if the handheld tuners can shut off OBD-II functions anymore. I know that the EPA forced Diablosport to remove those features from their handhelds a few years ago, so I can only assume the SCT caught some of the same heat. I thought about updating my Diablo tuner until I found out that the update consisted mostly of losing the ability to shut off rear O2's, egr, and cel.

Now, a handheld with a preloaded custom tune, that's a different story of course.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
GT Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2V View Post
I dunno if the handheld tuners can shut off OBD-II functions anymore. I know that the EPA forced Diablosport to remove those features from their handhelds a few years ago, so I can only assume the SCT caught some of the same heat. I thought about updating my Diablo tuner until I found out that the update consisted mostly of losing the ability to shut off rear O2's, egr, and cel.

Now, a handheld with a preloaded custom tune, that's a different story of course.
I have not really looked into that, so I don't know. But with custom tunes it can still be done, right?

I just know that I am getting MIL eliminators when I get my O/R midpipe in a few weeks (hopefully), and then later on I am getting a tuner and doing the EGR delete.

2003 Mustang GT
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyrabbit0420 View Post
Merhaba.... Nasilsiniz

In Istanbul you must pay 2 price of USA's. For instance slp lm1 mufflers are 149 dollar in American Muscle. In Istanbul they're about 300 dollar That's why I'm not gonna buy a x-pipe from USA. If I buy, it will be too much expensive for me.

By the way, İyiyim teşekkür ederim, siz nasılsınız ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page