i tinted my taillights yesterday in about 3 hours. see below for results

materials needed...

-1 can of VHT nightshades spray paint~~$12
-1 can of quick drying clear coat ~~~~~$5
-1000 grit sandpaper (wet)~~~~~~~~~$5
-1500 grit sandpaper (wet)~~~~~~~~~$5
-2000 grit sandpaper (wet)~~~~~~~~~$5
-masking tape~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~$2
-dish soap~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~$3? (seriously, who doesnt have dish soap)
-car or glass polish~~~~~~~~~~~~~$5-15 depending on brand etc. i just used meguiars

step 1

remove both taillights from the car by accessing the 4 bolts through your trunk.
then remove the light bulbs from the taillight assembly by rotating a quarter turn and pulling out.

step 2
once both lights are off the car, tape off anywhere you dont want to be painted/sanded (i taped off the reverse lights because i think it looks sweet, but you dont have to if you dont want to.)

with the 1000 grit paper, begin wet sanding (bucket of water with dish soap in it) the entire surface of the tail lights. take your time here, you want to really get a good even sanding here. make sure to keep the sandpaper nice and wet here.

Rinse off all soap and dust from both lights and let them dry comletely (i wouldnt use paper towel or anything with fibers that could come off to dry them off. an air compressor works great if you have one, but just letting them dry naturally works good too.)

step 3

double check everything you want taped off is taped off, then begin applying the VHT nightshades pain to the taillights. be careful here, spray it on very light and let it dry, then add more coats to your liking. making sure to not add too much at a time to reduce runs. it took me about 4 coats to get mine where they are.

Step 4

after the nightshades paint is completely dry, begin wet sanding with the 1000 grit sandpaper VERY LIGHTLY, i mean like no pressure at all, just let the paper do the work. do this until it is evenly sanded

rinse all water/soap/dust from the lights, and again let dry.

Step 5
spray the clear coat on the lights. you can go a little overboard here, but be careful of runs again. put about 2 coats on and let it dry.

Step 6

wet sand the clear coat first with the 1500 grit sandpaper, and then with the 2000 grit sandpaper, making sure to get a nice even shine all the way around.

rinse

add one more thin thin thin coat of clear coat

Step 7

reinstall the lights when they are dry.

take your polish and give the lights a nice coat of wax.

viola, a 40 dollar mod that looks amazing!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tinted tails 1.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	691.8 KB
ID:	150242   Click image for larger version

Name:	tinted tails 2.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	741.6 KB
ID:	150243  

1985 Regatta Blue vert 5.0- 87 5.0 shortblock, T5 transmission, Steeda Tri-ax Shifter, A/C delete, UDP's, edelbrock rpm performer intake, holley 600 4bbl carb, dual flowmaster 44's with o/r H pipe, MSD ignition, 1.72 roller rockers, Tokico HP shocks/struts, FRPP B springs, FRPP 4.10's

2003 F150 Lariat 4x4-DD
2007 V6 Nitrous injected-SOLD
2002 GT 5 speed- SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012
GT Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Ha...thought you meant actual spring mods, like lowering ...lol
Looks good tho.

'05 Blk Prem V6 Roush Styled, X-Charged, & Highly Modified Sold
'06 Torch Red Prem GT

Show: SGT Grille, SGT Lower Fogs, GT500 Chin Spoiler & Trunk Spoiler, GT Hood Scoop/Side Scoops, Powered By Ford Fender Badges, Quarter Window Louvers, Sequential TL, '13 Painted Mirrors, '10 Style GT500 Rims.
Suspension: GT500 Strut Mounts, Koni STR.T shocks/struts, SR 1.5" Springs, SR Rear LCAs, J&M Adjust PHB.
Exhaust: SLP LoudMouth1s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page