custom tune 1998 gt? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyg1997 View Post
Are you installing a pi intake manifold on npi heads?
Yes i am installing a pi manifold on the npi heads, I am upgrading the valve springs and putting bullet stage 2 cams that are ground specifically for the npi heads. Not that it was to much trouble to do a pi swap i just wanted to do something different because everyone i talk to throws npi heads away so why not take advantage of it. but back to the tune would i have to go to a dyno and run the car for them to dyno tune it? i'm new to the tuning portion of this so bear with my ignorance please

1998 GT
Rebuild in the works. New crank, 2013 Boss rods, srp .020 over flat top pistons with valve reliefs, 12:1 compression, ported pi heads, comp xe278ah cams.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillup96GT View Post
It's true, but know a P&P is going to be pretty pricey and you wanna have it done by a reputable shop that has worked on these heads before.

Go here https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ore-power.html read this is one of my old threads where bullitt chime in with flow bench charts
Im gunna post a new thread so that I have better track of my question. THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING.

Black with saddle 1996 Mustang GT convertible. Manual. NPI, 2v 4.6L. Full bolt-ons.
GT Member

Garage
Yes, you need to bring the car to the dyno shop. They will put it on their dyno chassis (in ground or above ground chassis, attached pics of both) and do a series of pulls. Pulls = car on the dyno chassis, running the car in fourth gear from low rpm’s to 6000/6500 rpm’s. They will monitor and adjust air/fuel/timing. This is just a general description.

You should call the dyno shop to see what they support, Diablo, SCT…… Some shops do both, and some do one or the other. Also, you could send your chip to them and they can program in a safe tune per your mods, so you can safely drive it to their shop (dont romp on it untill it is tuned). Just an option, but check with them.

Also, do some research on installing a PI intake to NPI heads. They are not a direct fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1654.jpg
Views:	1648
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	150282   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-05-23_15-46-26_594.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	150283  

Mods = None. (well maybe just a few)
DB-Performance Tune: 634rwhp @ 6000rpm , 609rwtq @ 4000rpm, (500rwtq @ 2500rpm)

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member

Garage
i understand the ports are shaped different on the pi intake vs the npi but what makes them not fit on npi heads? and what do i need to do to make it work?

1998 GT
Rebuild in the works. New crank, 2013 Boss rods, srp .020 over flat top pistons with valve reliefs, 12:1 compression, ported pi heads, comp xe278ah cams.
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwarrior1016 View Post
i understand the ports are shaped different on the pi intake vs the npi but what makes them not fit on npi heads? and what do i need to do to make it work?
You need the little nipple that goes into the back side of water pump, pipe that runs under the intake (all this from the PI motor). Needs the second coolant temp sensor drilled/tapped. One side will need a dab of rtv over a part of the port. Look at AmericanMuscle.com they have a write up on installing PI intake to NPI motor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AutoGuide.com App

Life is to short to live it pissed off cherish who and what you got while you can!
Free speech isn’t so free when it comes to protected classes and races, is it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
98 gt , predator , stage 2 cams

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page