custom tune 1998 gt? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member

Garage
custom tune 1998 gt?

i recently bought a used diablosport predator tuner from a friend of mine, since then i have been in the process of installing npi bullet stage 2 cams, pi intake, 75mm accufab throttle body and plenum, and slp loudmouth catback with o/r x. just curious if i need a custom tune for my car to run right and if so where can i get a custom tune for my predator?

1998 GT
Rebuild in the works. New crank, 2013 Boss rods, srp .020 over flat top pistons with valve reliefs, 12:1 compression, ported pi heads, comp xe278ah cams.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Due to the cam upgrade, yes. Best option is a dyno tune, search for local tuners in your area. If an actual dyno tune isn't an option (it is my understanding that sometimes people live like 4 hours away from the nearest known tuner) then I dunno what to tell you. You could probably find somewhere that will do an email tune that you could upload via your Predator, but I wouldn't trust an email tune for something like this; email tunes are better suited to minor bolt on mods.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012
GT Member

Garage
Are you installing a pi intake manifold on npi heads?

Mods = None. (well maybe just a few)
DB-Performance Tune: 634rwhp @ 6000rpm , 609rwtq @ 4000rpm, (500rwtq @ 2500rpm)

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyg1997 View Post
Are you installing a pi intake manifold on npi heads?
That's what it sounds like. And then keeping the npi heads and installing stage 2 npi cams if I read correctly.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012
Banned
4.6L Member

thats what i'm doing. to much trouble to change to the pi heads and deal with the compression boost for a measly 10-15 HP.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012
Rookie
5.0L Member

Heads will give you more power then 10 horses
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kids96gt View Post
thats what i'm doing. to much trouble to change to the pi heads and deal with the compression boost for a measly 10-15 HP.
not to bust your nuts here Kid but you keep posting that the heads only give you a few HP I have seen it in I think 2 threads in the last 2 days.

That is not entirely true, here is a quote from Bullitt from a thread quite a while back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt5339 View Post
To answer your question now, the 99+ PI (performance impoved) cylinder heads are still 2 valves per cylinder. They feature improved squared intake ports that flow a lot better than the pre-99 heads. They also feature much more aggressive camshaft profiles, and a free-er flowing intake manifold with a lot more plenum volume and larger runners. While the "on-paper" difference is 40ish horsepower, dynos have shown that there is actually closer to a 50rwhp difference between the PI and NPI cars, and because the PI heads have smaller combustion chambers than the NPI heads, when combined with the smaller dished pistons on the NPI blocks, you get a considerable bump in compression ratio, which makes the horsepower difference around 60rwhp by just swapping heads, cams and intake onto the NPI block.

The PI camshafts are swappable into the NPI heads easily, and will provide around a 10-15rwhp increase just from the more aggressive cam profiles. The PI intake will also bolt onto the NPI heads with a dab of silicone, and even though the ports don't line up perfectly, it alone has shown around a 10rwhp increase on a PI engine by itself.
So with what he says 10-15hp for cams 10hp just for intake thats 20-25 HP alone which is what you're going to get on your car.

But he says that usually the heads cam and intakes together net almost 60whp so 60 - 25 = 35 so that means the heads alone are roughly 30-35 HP and as he said above this is because of the bigger better flowing intake ports.

1996 Red Mustang GT - Sold back in 2012 after too much time and money was wasted on it.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012
Banned
4.6L Member

and I understand that. but I have talked to a guy (with dyno sheets) that tested it, and with his car, he got 45HP from the cams and intake.

going back he put pi heads on, and redyno'd his car. same dyno. and only pulled up another 15 hp.

I had also heard from many other people that only swapped cams and/ or intake that they gained 40-50hp from just the cams and intake, or 25 from just the intake. which basically supports EACH case with each other.

it cannot be a coincident.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012
GT Member

Well it could be coincidence but I will not argue that.

Ill just cross my fingers I'm putting down 275hp and 300tq when I eventually get thisbitch done and dyno tuned.

1996 Red Mustang GT - Sold back in 2012 after too much time and money was wasted on it.
Banned
4.6L Member

I guess I will have to see. I'm not trying to fight with you. I just have alot of concrete evidence showing the heads only give you about 15hp.

I'll see if I cannot dig up the thread wit his dyno sheets in it.
GT Member

I will tell you one thing tho.....when fully worked the NPI heads are better than the PI heads!

Not trying to say one set of heads is better than the other, but I will say you won't see me running PI heads on my motor.

Life is to short to live it pissed off cherish who and what you got while you can!
Free speech isn’t so free when it comes to protected classes and races, is it?
Banned
4.6L Member

I have also heard that npi heads outflow pi heads when ported properly.

(Saying the same thing as you in agreement)
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillup96GT View Post
Well it could be coincidence but I will not argue that.

Ill just cross my fingers I'm putting down 275hp and 300tq when I eventually get thisbitch done and dyno tuned.
You will make those numbers EASY. Think about it. A Stock GT puts down 260/300 at crank. You are getting the compression bonus as well as the bolt-ons you already have.

Ive seen a PI mustang around town that put down 285/315 with H/C/I PI swap with CAI and TB.

Black with saddle 1996 Mustang GT convertible. Manual. NPI, 2v 4.6L. Full bolt-ons.
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman777 View Post
I will tell you one thing tho.....when fully worked the NPI heads are better than the PI heads!

Not trying to say one set of heads is better than the other, but I will say you won't see me running PI heads on my motor.
I can't tell if youre kidding or not. But if you are actually serious then enlighten me. Im looking into a PI swap but if I can make more HP elsewhere...

Black with saddle 1996 Mustang GT convertible. Manual. NPI, 2v 4.6L. Full bolt-ons.
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burninrock24 View Post
I can't tell if youre kidding or not. But if you are actually serious then enlighten me. Im looking into a PI swap but if I can make more HP elsewhere...
It's true, but know a P&P is going to be pretty pricey and you wanna have it done by a reputable shop that has worked on these heads before.

Go here https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ore-power.html read this is one of my old threads where bullitt chime in with flow bench charts

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
98 gt , predator , stage 2 cams

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page