Car accident, is it my fault? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxstarspyxx View Post
Yep i will let you guys know, but once again i think I said it wrong, but I din't cross any type of line, would that change anything?
As Kids96GT stated above, you pulled into the other lane, even if it was just barely. Claim to be innocent and try to fight it, but it's hard to tell how the accident will be judged. Both of you have your own story and the insurance companies will just have to fight each other to come up with a conclusion. Good luck!

2003 Mustang GT
Intake & Exhaust: K&N FIPK CAI, Mac O/R H-Pipe, Custom Catback w/ Magnaflow Magnapack Mufflers.
Suspension: H&R Super Sport Springs, KONI STR.T Shocks & Struts, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, UPR Elite LCA's & UCA's.
Performance: BAMA 93R Custom Tune, FRPP 4.10 Gears w/ Terminator spec T-Lok.
Planned Mods: FLSFC, Eibach Sway Bars, Throttle Body, Plenum, Rims.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member
4.6L Member

I'll make the statement that nobody else has bothered to mention... Unless you are trained, you can not say for certain that the other car was speeding. You have a radar in your car? You know the other car was speeding? How do you know that? Those are probably some questions that a judge would ask you (or an attorney for the other party).

Based on your drawing, you were in violation. Your car was in her lane of travel. It's as simple as that. She swerved to avoid hitting you because she figured you were going to continue cutting her off and complete your turn.

If I responded to this accident scene, you would have been issued a summons for failure to yield right of way. I'm assuming the police responded? Was this in VA? It's a reportable offense according to DMV's standard. Anything on public roadway with 1500 dollars of damage (or any type of injuries) requires a police report to the DMV.

Toy: 2002 Mustang GT
Daily Driver: 2010 Ford Fusion Sport
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

In most states it is illegal to enter an intersection unless you can clear it, and unless there are skid marks she failed to reduce speed to avoid an accident.

Did anyone get a ticket?

'95 Ranger 5.0 GT40X Tri-y GT40 Intake S-Trim Snow Stage 2 Lowered Baer Racing Brakes Viper Spec Tremec w/Hurst shifter Custom Interior Dakota Digital Dash Corbeau Toplines OZ Racing AM/FM/Mp3/CD/DVD/TV.

2014 GTIG 5.0 Vert Base. Sil Carb Fiber dash. Bama Race Tune. Gibson axle backs. STEEDA Springs KONI STR.T Adj. Panhard. Dynamatted. Audiocontrol LC8i Amps and Sub! Leather OEM seats. Custom Badging.

PONY Member
5.0L Member

If you enter another vehicles lane of travel, you are at fault... It is your job to make sure it is clear and safe. She has the right of way... Sorry
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominator View Post
In most states it is illegal to enter an intersection unless you can clear it, and unless there are skid marks she failed to reduce speed to avoid an accident.

Did anyone get a ticket?
Nope no one got a ticket & This accident was in NY, idk why people are saying VA lol

Also, i understand i pulled into another lane, but trust me this lane was clear, she was atleast 500 feet away from me when i did, but when i saw her up the hill she made a quick left turn on to that lane and was coming down. Thats when i was like wtf and stopped to let her go...

And the person who said "I cant tell if she was speeding or not" the speed zone was 25 MPH on this road. I could clearly tell that she was speeding, you dont need a radar to see that. IT was down hill, and itd be impossible for her to reach me so quickly from where she was if she was traveling 25MPH. And i also am POSITIVE that there was more than enough room for her to pass by.

Also if she was traveling 25MPH and she braked, her speed would have been around 10MPH when she hit me? (Im assuming).

But look at her car damages, her right side is completely gone, you gotta be going more than 10MPH with that damage.
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Sorry bro... But NY state law says you are at fault...you came on here and asked if it was your fault, IMO it is.
It's not her job to NOT hit you when you are in her lane... Her speed does not matter.
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
This:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick F View Post
He would have been able to make the turn had she not been speeding.
And the fact that you saw her, determined that she was approaching at high speed and stopped. Had she been driving a safe speed and in control, she could have stopped. Or at least slowed down and driven through the remainder of the 12' wide travel lane.

I always tell my kids, if you are in a situation where you see another driver that looks like they are going to hit you, stop the car and put both feet firmly on the brake.

It doesn't matter if your car is parked in the middle of the interstate. If it's not moving, and they approach it from far down the road and hit it, then it's entirely their fault. This is not the same as you stopping your car four car lengths in front of them.

That being said I've turned left in font of a speeding vehicle before, been hit and the state said it was my fault but the insurance company said it was the other party. It turned out that the other party had a father who was politically connected.

So don't sign anything that says its your fault until you hire a lawyer.

2005 4.0 MT dual exhaust GT mufflers GT suspension and wheels
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks for the replies, I am not hiring any attorney or anything, this is simply my Statement as to what happened. I am willing to face the facts, if the insurance company finds me at fault, thats fine. Its just unfair in my opinion, but what ever lifes unfair
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Your fault or not, you can count on the insurance company raising your rates. They're always happy to get more money from you.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2V View Post
Your fault or not, you can count on the insurance company raising your rates. They're always happy to get more money from you.
I have a good driving record, 5 year no accident therefore i am elligable for accident forgivness (Hopefully this doesnt) raise my prices
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page