Car accident, is it my fault? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Car accident, is it my fault?

Guys I am giving my statement to the insurance company tommarow, this is my going to my statement:

Based on this do you think its my fault?

9:30 AM monday morning, bright and sunny
I was traveling west and had to make a left onto a virgina rd, a car in front of me made a left, and i was up next. I turned left and went about 2 feet into the other lane to make the left, thats when i saw this lady in a benz speeding downhill east. She was comming down too quickly so I completely stopped and decided to let her pass. In my judgement there was clearly enough space for her to go past me..

Now for some reason she thought i was going to keep going and so she decides to swerve her car left. I have no idea why she did that, maybe its because she was speeding idk...I am assuming its because she was speeding and the sun was pretty bright that morning and she was traveling east, so maybe she was kinda blinded and saw me at the last minute and decided to swerve left and ram right into me...

So she hits my right fender and her passenger side is completley hit, her engine bay is fully damaged, my car doesn't look as bad as hers..

But my main points are going to the fact that shes a 60 year old driver, she was clearly speeding, the sun was bright that day = a high chance of her being blinded.

And the reason why i think shes at fault is because she stupidly swerved left, there was clearly enough space for her to pass by but idk why she swerved left...
Car A is me, car B is her
here is the diagram (Sorry drew it on my cell phone lol)

as you can see her right side is completley damaged, if she dint swerve left and hit me normally either her full front side woulda have gotten hit and or a left side.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012
MACH I Member
V6 Member

Send a message via MSN to Derfdog15 Send a message via Yahoo to Derfdog15
from what you described it seems she was at fault, do you have a police report, here in Florida the 1st car listed is the at fault vehicle, not sure how it is in VA however.

2003 Redfire V6,
Show: Smoked everything, cobra front bumper, gt rear bumper, rear decklid and lower valence blackout with black mustang letters, 5% rear front 15%, black 98 Cobra rims front, 95 Cobra R rear black with chrome lip, black scoops and spoiler and exhaust tips

Go: CAI, True Duals with flowmaster super 44's, Bama Tune, full suspension (lowered, 8.8, 4.10s, UCA, LCA, springs, CC plates)
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012
GT Member

You're just going to get a whole bunch of internet lawyers on here, and no real solid proof.

I would bet you are the at fault driver even though the stupid old hag swerved the wrong way you were still in her lane.

I would make sure you tell everyone you were not in her lane.

1996 Red Mustang GT - Sold back in 2012 after too much time and money was wasted on it.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012
PONY Member

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Hockeyman48
There could be an issue with you crossing center line of roadway (2 ft.) making the other driver decide how to react accordingly.Not sure if you admitted to being over center line to police and if this possibly puts you to blame but like you stated some drivers dont belong on the road.Hope all works out well with you and your car.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillup96GT View Post
You're just going to get a whole bunch of internet lawyers on here, and no real solid proof.

I would bet you are the at fault driver even though the stupid old hag swerved the wrong way you were still in her lane.

I would make sure you tell everyone you were not in her lane.
He would have been able to make the turn had she not been speeding.

2007 GT500 - White, Blue stripes, 2010 clutch, JLT123, SLP Loudmouth, VMP tune, AFCO heat exchanger, CHE upper/lower control arms, QA1 adjustable rear shocks. #360 of all GT500 coupes. 13,000 miles.
RWHP - ?? ~500
_______
2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport 6spd - Daily Driver
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012
GT Member
S197 Member

Garage
Sorry to say it, but I think you will be held at fault. You made a left turn in front of an oncoming vehicle. Her speed may be a factor, but you still turned in front of an oncoming vehicle, and should not have until it was safe. Yoy got hit, so it wasn't safe. And I take offense at you're statement about her age. I'm 64 and I consider myself an excellent driver. I have been in 3 accidents in 47 years of driving and only one was my fault. And I race at a sanctioned NHRA facility with reaction times that are competetive with 20 yr olds.

Howelldaddy
89 LX Notch: Floo-Tek 5.0X heads, GT-40 intake, B-303 cam, Dynamic 3800 converter, 4.10:1 gears & lots of suspension work. 12.50 @ 106.42 MPH.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012
MACH I Member
V6 Member

Send a message via MSN to Derfdog15 Send a message via Yahoo to Derfdog15
^on in a million, my first accident of two (yeah i fit the teenager steryotype) was because a 70 year old man pulled out in front of me, less than 40 feet in front, while i was going 50, and claimed he didnt see me. wouldnt have had to go through all that if he had been forced to take courses/tests to make sure he was a competent driver.

the second my ex GF backed into my stationary car, so that sucked.

Again check the report, and dont ever admit fault.

2003 Redfire V6,
Show: Smoked everything, cobra front bumper, gt rear bumper, rear decklid and lower valence blackout with black mustang letters, 5% rear front 15%, black 98 Cobra rims front, 95 Cobra R rear black with chrome lip, black scoops and spoiler and exhaust tips

Go: CAI, True Duals with flowmaster super 44's, Bama Tune, full suspension (lowered, 8.8, 4.10s, UCA, LCA, springs, CC plates)
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012
Banned
4.6L Member

I'm pretty sure you will be at fault because YOU pulled out into on coming traffic. even if she swerved and hit you, YOU pulled out in front of her.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks for the replies, i never crossed any type of lines to make this turn btw, also only 2 feet of my car was on the other lane, i saw her speeding down so i completley stopped so idk whats going to happen
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

& Sorry the picture is misleading , i included those dash lines to show that where i made the turn those lines ended for the turn, there are no lines where i made the turn
Banned
4.6L Member

if any part of your car crossed the line( and you just said it did) its your fault because you pulled into on coming traffic. even though she was speeding. think about it, 2 feet of your car in another lane, IS ALOT.

sorry about it man, it sucks..but its all part of driving.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kids96gt View Post
if any part of your car crossed the line( and you just said it did) its your fault because you pulled into on coming traffic. even though she was speeding. think about it, 2 feet of your car in another lane, IS ALOT.

sorry about it man, it sucks..but its all part of driving.
Thanks for the reply, but i meant that I din't cross any type of line, when i pulled left, it there was no lines there, but your right 2 feet of my car in another lane is a lot though
GT Member
4.6L Member

As I see it, both are at fault. You going over the line was the main cause of the accident, though her speeding along with her swerving to the left may be a result of stress, misconception, and lack of reaction. She probably did not see you early enough and reacted before thinking, causing her to swerve in the wrong direction and hit you. In the end I think the judge will say you are at fault because you had crossed the line slightly and you are the younger driver with less experience. I guess we will just have to wait and see. After the case is closed you should come back and tell us the result.

2003 Mustang GT
Intake & Exhaust: K&N FIPK CAI, Mac O/R H-Pipe, Custom Catback w/ Magnaflow Magnapack Mufflers.
Suspension: H&R Super Sport Springs, KONI STR.T Shocks & Struts, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, UPR Elite LCA's & UCA's.
Performance: BAMA 93R Custom Tune, FRPP 4.10 Gears w/ Terminator spec T-Lok.
Planned Mods: FLSFC, Eibach Sway Bars, Throttle Body, Plenum, Rims.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAlsip View Post
As I see it, both are at fault. You going over the line was the main cause of the accident, though her speeding along with her swerving to the left may be a result of stress, misconception, and lack of reaction. She probably did not see you early enough and reacted before thinking, causing her to swerve in the wrong direction and hit you. In the end I think the judge will say you are at fault because you had crossed the line slightly and you are the younger driver with less experience. I guess we will just have to wait and see. After the case is closed you should come back and tell us the result.

Yep i will let you guys know, but once again i think I said it wrong, but I din't cross any type of line, would that change anything?

Here is a better pic:
Banned
4.6L Member

line, no line..you get the idea. its still another lane you pulled into.

I was actually witness to an accident that happened a few days ago, I was behind a guy waiting to pull into a road, and a guy on a bike ride through the street while this guy was already pulling out, and i guess he noticed the guy on the bike after he started pulling out and slammed on the breaks and another car impacted him. his car was two weeks old. it caused a three car pile up and it was deamed his fault because he pulled into the street blocking another car.

nothing to do but maybe hope the insurance company will see it differently, and chalk it up n the board as a lesson.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page