3.8L V6 Blew Up getting a 4.6l - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

3.8L V6 Blew Up getting a 4.6l

So I am 20 years old and my 2001 V6 Engine blew, and now I am looking into buying a New Edge GT.

Found a couple cars on my list found a 2001 Mustang SVT Cobra for $9,000 and a couple GT's was going to put a $4,000 downpayment and pay the rest off in 1-2 years depending on the loan amount.

Is this a good price???

I live at home with my parents, work at the Hilton Hotel as a Valet. Make decent money monthly around 1,600 a month, only financial responsibilities are gas and food, and was telling my dad I wanted to pay the difference for the insurance.

This will be my daily driver for around the next two years hopefully have a much better job by then.

Cobra good price/idea will I be able to talk 'em down some?

What about these other GT's?

Advice needed thanks guys!

2001 SVT Cobra
134,000 Miles on it (yikes!) $9,945

2003 Mustang GT Premium
105,000 $8,945

Budget was around $6,000 out the door but I'm hoping that I can drop the prices of these cars by a lot.

2001 Mustang V6 4-speed Automatic: Sold
2003 Mustang GT 5-Speed Manual: Current
Appearance Modifications: None Yet
Performance Modifications: None Yet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Dunno about the Cobra, but that GT is definitely overpriced. I just helped my bro in law get an '03 auto GT w/ 107K for $7500 last Oct.

Whatever you end up doing, have the car looked over by a mechanic of your choosing (and cost) for any signs of neglect or abuse and to get a good overall idea of the car's mechanical condition prior to buying.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012
74stang2togo

2v cars are dirt cheap now. I can find low-mileage 99-04 cars here under $10k all day every day. Even Mach 1s and non-Termi Cobras are at or below the $10k mark here depending on mileage.

Keep looking.

Autotrader.com and Searchtempest.com are your friends.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2V View Post
Dunno about the Cobra, but that GT is definitely overpriced. I just helped my bro in law get an '03 auto GT w/ 107K for $7500 last Oct.

Whatever you end up doing, have the car looked over by a mechanic of your choosing (and cost) for any signs of neglect or abuse and to get a good overall idea of the car's mechanical condition prior to buying.
I figured the 03 would be overpriced. Wouldn't spend more than $7000 for it out the door also considering it's a manual.

Not too sure about the Cobra either though, it has just as many miles as my v6 did and that was my daily driver as well as the previous owners daily driver. People buy Cobra's for one reason and one reason only, to race, not to mention it was obviously used as a daily driver. So they are going to have to lower the price to around $7,000 if they want to make a sale.

I hope I can get my hands on that Cobra, it's just that insurance costs will probably own me.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012
Rookie
V6 Member

Have you tried Craigslist? I just bought a 1995 v6 for 800 because the dude didn't know how to change his spark plugs or wires. If you have $6000 bucks look for something in the range of $8000-$9000 and talk them down, once they see that money they'll change their mind... trust me. Or why don't you buy something a little cheaper and put a bunch of new and upgraded parts on it?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
Have you tried Craigslist? I just bought a 1995 v6 for 800 because the dude didn't know how to change his spark plugs or wires. If you have $6000 bucks look for something in the range of $8000-$9000 and talk them down, once they see that money they'll change their mind... trust me. Or why don't you buy something a little cheaper and put a bunch of new and upgraded parts on it?
only because I'm only going to keep this car for about 2 years. Basically I want a 2013 5.0 and this car is just meant to build credit and suit my adrenaline needs in the mean time.

Yeah I have tried craigslist but the thing is that kinda minimizes my option to finance

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Anyone think 8k for a used Cobra with a lot of miles is a good deal????

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Only reason I say cobra is because there will be one day when youre laying in bed wondering, "did I settle for less?" I had the opportunity to buy an 01 with 73k miles on it for $10.9k sticker. But it was a salvage title. It drove like a dream, the interior was impeccable. But that salvage title scared me. In retrospect I wish I got it, but I love my mustang now too.

Black with saddle 1996 Mustang GT convertible. Manual. NPI, 2v 4.6L. Full bolt-ons.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.8LMustangV6 View Post
Anyone think 8k for a used Cobra with a lot of miles is a good deal????
Is this the same one you mentioned earlier? Price is getting much better. Sounds ok, but still have the car checked out. Honestly though, I would shop for the lowest mileage you can find. I know you don't care that much, I read about your 2 year plan, but what I will say to that is sh!t happens and things change; meaning that in case this car becomes your Plan B you should shoot for the best one possible.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page