Wanting to swap out the 4.6?? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Wanting to swap out the 4.6??

Hi everyone I have a 99 gt with 146000 on the engine and 70 on the transmission I just replaced (automatic) anyways I'm wanting to swap out my 4.6 for something with more power but I'm at a loss, I don't know what would bolt up to my transmission, my brother has 5.0 from a fox body that he had work done to but I don't think it woul work, I've looked into the cobra motor, but not sure fire answer, should I just swap out for the same engine. All I know is hp isn't cheap thanks for any replys

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012
74stang2togo

LS1. All the cool kids are doing it.

You didn't say why you were wanting to replace it other than miles and more power... why not just modify what's in there?

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

With a k member swap you could change to a pushrod 5.0 or other misc. SBF, but there will be many other obstacles to deal with as well, like fuel system and engine management stuff. Not to mention you'll need a different trans.

My advice is stick with the 4.6. Rebuild it with forged internals, h/c/e, f/i and you'll have a real monster.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012
Banned
4.6L Member

I'd just sell it and buy something else, you can score great deals on Termis and Mach 1s, etc if you have a few extra bucks to add to the sale price...high milage cars get to be a real pita...my cobra makes up new issues almost every week, it's in the shop today for the horn and headlights being stuck on:?:...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74stang2togo View Post
LS1. All the cool kids are doing it.
Blasphemy!!!!!!

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

The current engine has a tick that last Atleast a minute after start up, and the other day I got on it and when it reved out that same tick got louder, but it hasn't done it since, it's odd. I wish there more options I just wanted more power to keep up with all these newer rides
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012
PONY Member
4.6L Member

that almost sounds like pre-ignition... how long has it been since you have changes your spark plugs.... and have the coil packs ever been replaced???

2001 Mustang Gt Bullitt, 105,000, mostly stock :nogrinner, 15% tint, led tail lights, Deep Dish Wheels, Nito 555's, shorty antenna, Head Turner.

Mac Off Road Chambered H Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, SCT custom tuner, C&L Cold Air Intake, Exedy Mach 400 stage 2 clutch, Ford Racing 4.10 gears, Under-drive pullies, modded IAC.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012
74stang2togo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2V View Post
Blasphemy!!!!!!
If my buddy comes through for me with the deal he supposedly has on an LS1, I'll be the next cool kid doing it! (But, it'll be into my GMC Sierra in place of my 4.8, so it's not like it'll be blasphemous.)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Did the plugs 4 months ago, in the process broke off part of the manifold, that was an adventure. It's never done when I get on it, but go figure the time a buddy at work wants to go for a ride it does it. Don't they sell like performance coil packs?
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

The tick is likely valvetrain noise or piston slap, both fit your description pretty well. If the car runs fine and has good power I wouldn't worry about it too much, but it is possible that an engine with 146K or whatever you said it has is getting a little tired and may need a rebuild in the next couple years. My best guess is take it easy on the car and it will last a good while longer before needing any drastic repairs.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe

SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74stang2togo View Post
If my buddy comes through for me with the deal he supposedly has on an LS1, I'll be the next cool kid doing it! (But, it'll be into my GMC Sierra in place of my 4.8, so it's not like it'll be blasphemous.)
Too bad you don't have something smaller like an S-10 (my personal choice would be a 2 door S-10 Blazer) to stick that LS into. Could have yourself a real rocketship there.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe

74stang2togo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2V View Post
Too bad you don't have something smaller like an S-10 (my personal choice would be a 2 door S-10 Blazer) to stick that LS into. Could have yourself a real rocketship there.
SWB/Regular Cab Sierra with a built 4L60E (when I broke the sunshell I went all-out for the rebuild, paid almost as much for the new trans as I did for the truck in the first place) and a 3.73 rear end in it already, it'll ****-n-git if I drop that LS1 in it, it's already no slouch with it's 4.8.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page