Need help deciding what to modify next. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Need help deciding what to modify next.

I have a completely stock 2001 GT that I just got. I just purchased a sct tuner from americanmuscle and a MGW shifter. I had funds set aside simply for this car, I've got about 1200 left to play with. I was thinking about and off-road X-pipe and a cat-back exhaust which would still leave me some $ for some other stuff. I was also thinking about buying a set of 18inch anthracite bullitt wheels/tires but that would take the whole 1200$. what do you guys suggest, it has the 17 inch ponys on it now which don't look horrible in my opinion, just skinny LOL. Anyone have pics of a lowered New edge on stock ponys?

Any suggestions for best bang for buck?

2001 Mustang GT Performance Red...SCT tuner, PRO50 shifter, O/R X, bassani cat-back
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012
Apprentice

If you do an exhaust upgrade, I'd also consider a cold air intake since you have a tuner.

I'd do the lowering springs and a strut tower brace. I have an '07 and can't believe how much the strut tower helped my car, and how much the springs and made it look better and ride better.

2007 Mustang GT Convertible, Ruff Racing Wheels, Nexen tires, window tint, Eibach springs, 8 inch antenna, mud flaps, Magnaflow Magnapack axle back exhaust, chin spoiler, headlight splitters, and GT500 spoiler.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

I'm dropped 2" w/ stock Bullitt wheels, sorry no pics though. There's some thread around here I put up pics of my cars in a while back but I don't know how to tell you to search for that thread, maybe type "picture thread" into the search box. I need to get pics uploaded to my profile but until then....

Anyway, mod suggestions......

What you have done and want to do next sounds good. Get a good set of LCA's and subframe connectors. Traction is a good thing, and these will go a long way on the quest for the almighty traction. I like Maximum Motorsports, but there are other good manufacturers for this stuff.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Lower it.

If you wanted to, you could find some cheap stock bullitt rims on craigslist and get some wheel spacers for the back wheels. They eliminate the tucked-in look of the back wheels and give the illusion that they are bigger. I have seen it first hand.

Other than that, go for some rear end gears and some exhaust upgrades! Any money left over you could get some subframe connectors and lower control arms. But if you just plan on it being a cruiser, then those could go lower on your priority list.

Black with saddle 1996 Mustang GT convertible. Manual. NPI, 2v 4.6L. Full bolt-ons.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

how much of a difference is there between a CAI putting a k&n filter and removing the air silencer? I already did that. I just cant decide if I want to go for the looks or the performance at this point. It has welded in flowmaster mufflers in the stock exhaust. it actually sounds pretty good. never thought it would be this hard deciding how to blow money on a car...

2001 Mustang GT Performance Red...SCT tuner, PRO50 shifter, O/R X, bassani cat-back
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012
GT Member

As far as performance there is no difference.

Do suspension, shocks struts, control arms, subframe connectors.

1996 Red Mustang GT - Sold back in 2012 after too much time and money was wasted on it.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012
Banned
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh425 View Post
If you do an exhaust upgrade, I'd also consider a cold air intake since you have a tuner.

I'd do the lowering springs and a strut tower brace. I have an '07 and can't believe how much the strut tower helped my car, and how much the springs and made it look better and ride better.
S197 sigs FTW.
Mud flaps?

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012
Rookie
4.6L Member

you have to feed the moter more air befor you help get rid of it. sonds like your looking for a ebay specile a cold air intank is a must 44.95$ as well as a 70 or 75mm TB 85.99$ now your ready to do the exhaust. you dont wana be too cheap here mac and bbk are the best brands wen it comes to long tube headers. but note this if you do go with LT's the passenger side will have to be removed every time you do a clutch there is no way to get around it and by poping your hood and looking dawn there you will see that it wont be easy. good luck man but your going to be cutting it close with trying to get wheels too.its eather going to go fast or look good with your budget

25th Anniversary 99 gt mustang MAC long tube headers, x pip flowmaster 44s half car dump off , 75mm TB cold air induction 255ib full pump with regulater ported pi heads 3 pice fire wall adjuster hurrst short throw shiffter Dirt Nasty's custom primer paint layed dawn by yours truely
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

well i have done some research and have found like fillup96gt said, there isn't much difference between a cold air kit and simply taking out the air silencer and installing K&N filter. I got my tuner in the mail today and tried out the street tune and noticed some improvement in throttle response, couldnt really see how it felt under throttle because the roads were wet. I ordered bassani cat back and went and got a pypes off road x from a local performance parts store. I also got word today that my MGW shifter has been back ordered. I almost wanted to cancel it and try a pro 5.0 but i loved the mgw so much in my last car that I couldn't do it. Pretty sure once all that is installed and tuned it will feel like a different car. Especially if i try out the 93 octane tune lol

SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Subframes are a must, no question the first thing you should do. Then I would say gears. Then a CAI and exhaust. Gears are going to get you the most enjoyment even though they don't add power they make the car feel like a whole different vehicle. Suspension is really important, more than power, a well thought out suspension in a car with moderate power will destroy a high power car with stock suspension.

The artist formerly known as SteedaMatt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page