Finally intalled my off road H-pipe - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Finally intalled my off road H-pipe

I finally installed my hpipe, Im running the summit racing hpipe with Jones Full Boar mufflers. (They are flowmaster replicas)its not as loud as I thought it was going to be, but its still sounds nice around 2,000-3,500 rpms at wot and cruising. Its gonna take me some time to get use to the smell, it seemed pretty strong especially when I was in a drive-thru picking up some food. I havent purchased a MIL eliminators yet, but so far my CEL hasnt come on. From my understanding the hpipe is suppose to increase in the low end but it feels like I may have lost some low end power, has anyone encounter this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012
GT Member
4.6L Member

The H-pipe has more low end than the X-pipe, but due to no cats there will still be less back pressure, which in terms generally mean less power in the low end. The free flowing exhaust will give you a few extra ponies and still pick up some mid/high end torque with the off road midpipe. I'm installing mine tomorrow with the stock mufflers.

2003 Mustang GT
Intake & Exhaust: K&N FIPK CAI, Mac O/R H-Pipe, Custom Catback w/ Magnaflow Magnapack Mufflers.
Suspension: H&R Super Sport Springs, KONI STR.T Shocks & Struts, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, UPR Elite LCA's & UCA's.
Performance: BAMA 93R Custom Tune, FRPP 4.10 Gears w/ Terminator spec T-Lok.
Planned Mods: FLSFC, Eibach Sway Bars, Throttle Body, Plenum, Rims.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Another question regarding the strong exhaust smell... When I installed the hpipe I did not use any gaskets. I contacted summit racing and they said it was required. Is this correct?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Two things....

You lost a little on the low end due to ridding yourself of some backpressure in the exhaust. Do a wot run where you take it up over 4500 and run till you get close to redline, you'll see why we all like o/r pipes.

Secondly, that smell you are experiencing is just raw unfiltered exhaust. Or as I like to call it, Freedom. You no longer have catalytic convertors to filter out all of the things the EPA doesn't like.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAlsip View Post
The H-pipe has more low end than the X-pipe, but due to no cats there will still be less back pressure, which in terms generally mean less power in the low end. The free flowing exhaust will give you a few extra ponies and still pick up some mid/high end torque with the off road midpipe. I'm installing mine tomorrow with the stock mufflers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2V View Post
Two things....

You lost a little on the low end due to ridding yourself of some backpressure in the exhaust. Do a wot run where you take it up over 4500 and run till you get close to redline, you'll see why we all like o/r pipes.

Secondly, that smell you are experiencing is just raw unfiltered exhaust. Or as I like to call it, Freedom. You no longer have catalytic convertors to filter out all of the things the EPA doesn't like.
Socal, ok that makes sense regarding the loss in power and the smell. when you intalled your hpipe did you use any gaskets? I just found it kind of strange to still smell the exhaust traveling at 70 mph and I swear I keep hearing a sputter. I noticed your also in Cali, have you had any run ins with the law yet about the sound or smell?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

There is one gasket, a flat metal oval shaped one that goes on the passenger side manifold between the manifold and midpipe. Did you reuse it? It has clips that hold it on to the manifold studs, so it it possible that when you removed the factory pipe it just stayed in place and went unnoticed. If you are getting an exhaust smell at 70 then it is probably leaking from there. Autozone sells new ones for about $6.

My exhaust is fairly loud (o/r x with LM2 catback), and I am very vigilant in keeping an eye out for cops. When one is around I keep my shifts low, and should I get pulled over I shut the engine off so they don't smell it. Had this pipe on for about 4 years, no issues from the cops about it; I catch them looking over to notice me, but that's as far as it goes. Keep your factory pipe around for bi-annual smog testing.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

[QUOTE=SoCal2V;2955434]There is one gasket, a flat metal oval shaped one that goes on the passenger side manifold between the manifold and midpipe. Did you reuse it? It has clips that hold it on to the manifold studs, so it it possible that when you removed the factory pipe it just stayed in place and went unnoticed. If you are getting an exhaust smell at 70 then it is probably leaking from there. Autozone sells new ones for about $6.

My exhaust is fairly loud (o/r x with LM2 catback), and I am very vigilant in keeping an eye out for cops. When one is around I keep my shifts low, and should I get pulled over I shut the engine off so they don't smell it. Had this pipe on for about 4 years, no issues from the cops about it; I catch them looking over to notice me, but that's as far as it goes. Keep your factory pipe around for bi-annual smog testing.[/Q

Nope I missed that gasket and that definitely explains my smell. I'll pick one up asap, there was a part of me deep down inside that was starting to regret the new mid-pipe but now I feel better. Thanks for the info. And thats good to know about the cops,, im usually pretty good as well about watching out, I'll be extra careful now though. Thats a good run you got using that midpipe, I'll find some wood to knock on for you, hopefully I can make it there myself. Thanks again for the info!!!!!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Ok the leak is fixed, bought the gasket from autozone. When we removed the passenger side flange I found the old gasket still stuck on the manifold. Took the stang for a spin and it sounded like a beast without the sputter. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page