99 mustang gt better mpg ?? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

99 mustang gt better mpg ??

I've got a 99 gt auto. Just wondering how to get better mpg out of it now it's around 17mpg all stock. I know if I drop the cats and put a cai on that will help but is there anything else? I mean I'm sure a programmer could help as well but is it all really worth doing? Do y'all think all this could get me around 25mpg or is that too much to want lol and yes I'm getting 17 keeping my foot of it and doing the speed limt. Is this normal mpg? That's also Intown highways around 21. Thanks guys

93 foxy gt, forged bottomend. Tfs h/c/rr. longtubes. vic jr airgap holley dp 750. Udp's and more...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012
Banned
4.6L Member

it's about all you can expect, the only sure fire thing that works everytime is to drive slower

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012
Rookie

My V-6 auto conv. only gets 19 city/ 22 hwy. So to have your power. Your not loosing much.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012
Rookie
5.0L Member

17 isn't bad for a v8. My 95 gets 24 cruising on the highway and about 17 in town...

1995 Laser Red 5.0L GT, White Conv Top, Automatic
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012
Rookie

I get about 20 to 23 overall in my 2000 gt auto but thats mostly highway. All i have is a throttle body spacer from the previous owner and a drop in k&n filter.

"I play Russian Roulette daily, a man's sport."
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012
PONY Member

Garage
I agree with the others, 17/21 doesn't sound too far off, especially for an auto. Of course driving style will always have some effect but only you know exactly how you're driving it and if that's reasonable. How fast do you drive on the highway and what rpms is the auto doing?

2002 Mustang GT: 5-spd, 96k: CAI, IAC restrictor plate, Mac Prochamber O/R, Borla Stingers
268 rwhp / 312 lb-ft

2015 Chevy Colorado 4cyl, 6-spd manual
1972 Yamaha CT2 175cc
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

You're not doing bad at all. I get 19 city, 23 highway and I've done about everything I can think of to help. I don't think you can get to 25mpg, but you can probably boost it a bit over what you have now. Tire pressure, tune up, good synthetic oil, trans fluid, diff lube, make sure the wheel bearings are all good, etc. Driving style is usually where the biggest gains are found.

The artist formerly known as SteedaMatt.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012
GT Member
S197 Member

If the air filter is dirty replace it, Also I found out last year that a old fuel filter will kill your mpg, But it sounds like your car is right on the money so there is not to much left to do. Just drive it normal and only get on it / race it if someone is asking for a whipping. That's my rule
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page