Is it even POSSIBLE to find a nice stock GT under $6500? - Ford Mustang Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
 
Mustang_Fanatic95's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Wausau
Posts: 259
 
Is it even POSSIBLE to find a nice stock GT under $6500?

I live in Central Wisconsin and I have been looking on Craigslist nearly every day for the past 2 months and I can't find anything $6500 or under for the type of mustang I want. I want a GT, almost 100% stock (rims/sound system/headlights/small things excluded), NOT red (everythings red..I personally dislike red cars), manual, hardtop, with under 150,000 miles.

I look everywhere in WI along with Minneapolis and Chicago.

I actually found the "perfect" mustang for me, manual, 115,000 miles, 2003, stone grey (favorite color), $6800 but it's in Chicago. That's a bit of a distance for me to drive in, especially when I need someone who can come along with me to pick it up.

I technically can't purchase one until August, but I really hope it doesn't come to that point where I can't find the right one, nearby. I want to get one by the start of September.

I don't even know what the point of this thread is about..How about we just talk about how crazy stupid expensive the used car market is, or how someone near me is willing to sell one going with my "wish list".

I don't know. Got a car show tomorrow to go to to satisfy my mustang hunger and of course there's the Iola car show in July (very big car show for WI, let me know if you're swinging by).


2000 Mustang GT
Black/Black 5speed
Performance: stock

My pride and joy, my first car ever. Bought on 6/2/2013.

Check it out at my channel here: youtube.com/mustangfanatic95
Expect more vids in the Spring: Car shows, cruises, fly-bys, etc.
Mustang_Fanatic95 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member
 
Freelancer's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 831
 
Well, a couple of things:
  1. I think it would be difficult to find a STOCK GT -- most all Mustangs (especially GT's) will be modified in one way or another by the time you get a hold of them.
  2. Stop looking on CraigsList -- that's just a really good place to get ripped off.
  3. Check out places like www.CarMax.com -- they have a really good selection of cars all over the country, and can ship them to your location. Their cars come with a warranty. They typically don't carry cars that are under $10K, but you might get lucky.
  4. There are lots of FIRST GENERATION Mustangs that you can pick up for the price you are looking for -- but they won't be in good condition. Is this the kid of thing you are looking for?
Spend the extra money, and get a good, reliable car from a place like CarMax.


2009 Mustang GT Premium: Grabber Orange with custom black paint | 5 Speed Manual | 3.73 Gears | Custom CarFX Tune | Steeda Cold Air Intake | Steeda Axle Back Exhaust | Push To Start | Hurst Competition Plus Short Shifter | Rear Window Louvers | Window Tint | 8-inch Shorty Antenna | Parnelli Jones Race Number | ELEANOR Style Honeycomb Grille | ELEANOR Style Quarter Window Louvers | ELEANOR Vanity Plate
Freelancer is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
 
Mustang_Fanatic95's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Wausau
Posts: 259
 
I can't go any higher than $7,000 for sure. And I'm looking for a 1999-2004. And my family, close friends, and I have used Craigslist to purchase a vehicle in the past and it's always turned out alright. It seems like there's always that one sour apple that makes the person believe EVERYTHING on craigslist is just like that sour apple. I feel that as long as you know what you're doing, and looking at, you'll be okay. But I will give that carmax a try.

EDIT: Sounds like Carmax isn't worth it, the minimum price you can search for is $10,000..and the oldest you can look for is 2002 and newer. Thanks but I'll probably resort to different websites.

2000 Mustang GT
Black/Black 5speed
Performance: stock

My pride and joy, my first car ever. Bought on 6/2/2013.

Check it out at my channel here: youtube.com/mustangfanatic95
Expect more vids in the Spring: Car shows, cruises, fly-bys, etc.
Mustang_Fanatic95 is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012
PONY Member
 
Quick4.6's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 845
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelancer View Post
Well, a couple of things:
  1. I think it would be difficult to find a STOCK GT -- most all Mustangs (especially GT's) will be modified in one way or another by the time you get a hold of them.
  2. Stop looking on CraigsList -- that's just a really good place to get ripped off.
  3. Check out places like www.CarMax.com -- they have a really good selection of cars all over the country, and can ship them to your location. Their cars come with a warranty. They typically don't carry cars that are under $10K, but you might get lucky.
  4. There are lots of FIRST GENERATION Mustangs that you can pick up for the price you are looking for -- but they won't be in good condition. Is this the kid of thing you are looking for?
Spend the extra money, and get a good, reliable car from a place like CarMax.
Seriously? Skip Craigslist but go to Carmax? They're the definition of a big box used car operation- and you're surely paying extra for that warranty.

I think you should cover all avenues- Craigslist, Autotrader.com, Carmax, Local Dealerships, etc.

Unfortunately the used car market is cranking right now because of the down economy, but just keep looking diligently. The best way to buy a used car is from a private party seller. You can tell a lot about a car by its owner, his house, his driveway, what he's wearing, etc. At a dealership, you're just getting their spin. This doesn't always mean you're going to get ripped off, but you certainly won't get the same info that you'd be getting from the horses mouth.

I think you've got a better shot finding a 99+ GT stock. I've been on the hunt for a near stock Fox Body 5.0 for years now, and I think THAT may turn out to be a pipe dream.

SOLD: PI Headed '98 GT - 248rwhp/306rwtq - [email protected] (2.0 60ft 3300+ DA)

'11 TDI Sportwagen - 50 mpg Daily Driver - Not Quick.
Quick4.6 is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
 
Mustang_Fanatic95's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Wausau
Posts: 259
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick4.6 View Post
Seriously? Skip Craigslist but go to Carmax? They're the definition of a big box used car operation- and you're surely paying extra for that warranty.

I think you should cover all avenues- Craigslist, Autotrader.com, Carmax, Local Dealerships, etc.

Unfortunately the used car market is cranking right now because of the down economy, but just keep looking diligently. The best way to buy a used car is from a private party seller. You can tell a lot about a car by its owner, his house, his driveway, what he's wearing, etc. At a dealership, you're just getting their spin. This doesn't always mean you're going to get ripped off, but you certainly won't get the same info that you'd be getting from the horses mouth.

I think you've got a better shot finding a 99+ GT stock. I've been on the hunt for a near stock Fox Body 5.0 for years now, and I think THAT may turn out to be a pipe dream.
Yeah, I made the mistake to forget to mention what type of mustang I'm looking for in my original post. I've basically narrowed it down to 1999-2004. I love the look of them. I still see some of them stock, but they'll be a v6, or an automatic, or..red :\

Thanks for some of those other websites though, carmax definitely didn't work out for me but those others I shall definitely give a shot!

2000 Mustang GT
Black/Black 5speed
Performance: stock

My pride and joy, my first car ever. Bought on 6/2/2013.

Check it out at my channel here: youtube.com/mustangfanatic95
Expect more vids in the Spring: Car shows, cruises, fly-bys, etc.
Mustang_Fanatic95 is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
 
Mustang_Fanatic95's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Wausau
Posts: 259
 
I just used autotrader.com, and I just found my dream car..2002 mustang gt, stone grey, 5 speed manual, 115,000 miles, black leather, for $5200, factory stock EVERYTHING except the exhaust and the rims..brand new tires and wheels. This is a dream come true. The problem? It's located 5 hours away. If it's still there in August, I might just go for it. I'll have enough money for 5200 for sure.

I don't know why I'm continuing to post in this thread, there's nothing for anyone to really respond to. Maybe so people can relate to someone's excitement of getting their first mustang, their dream car before they graduate... I get crazy hyped just seeing this kind of stuff.

2000 Mustang GT
Black/Black 5speed
Performance: stock

My pride and joy, my first car ever. Bought on 6/2/2013.

Check it out at my channel here: youtube.com/mustangfanatic95
Expect more vids in the Spring: Car shows, cruises, fly-bys, etc.
Mustang_Fanatic95 is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012
PONY Member
 
Quick4.6's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 845
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsBballGirls View Post
I just used autotrader.com, and I just found my dream car..2002 mustang gt, stone grey, 5 speed manual, 115,000 miles, black leather, for $5200, factory stock EVERYTHING except the exhaust and the rims..brand new tires and wheels. This is a dream come true. The problem? It's located 5 hours away. If it's still there in August, I might just go for it. I'll have enough money for 5200 for sure.

I don't know why I'm continuing to post in this thread, there's nothing for anyone to really respond to. Maybe so people can relate to someone's excitement of getting their first mustang, their dream car before they graduate... I get crazy hyped just seeing this kind of stuff.
It's all good, there's nothing more exciting than getting your first Mustang. My '98 GT was my second one, but I got lucky because my dad worked for a dealership and when I found the car it was at another dealership close by and they "DX'd" it to his dealership so I could check it out and pull the trigger. Now everyone that I knew in the car business is long out of the game, and I'm finding it's a jungle out there when it comes to making auto purchases!

Good luck, you'll find the right car at the right time, just keep on the hunt.

SOLD: PI Headed '98 GT - 248rwhp/306rwtq - [email protected] (2.0 60ft 3300+ DA)

'11 TDI Sportwagen - 50 mpg Daily Driver - Not Quick.
Quick4.6 is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012
PONY Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
 
86VERT's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 985
 
Found mine on craigslist for 5000
Perfect Condition
Craigslist is the.best place to look

" Granny shiftin' not double clutchin' like you should. You're lucky that hundred shot of NOS didn't blow the welds on the intake "

Wait Til My VTEC Pops
86VERT is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012
Banned
4.6L Member
 
2Manystangs's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Tampa
Posts: 12,438
 
check ebay as well...also a car can be shipped just about anywhere for around $500-1000 depending on distance...or you can get a one way airline ticket to the destination and drive the car back...I did it, Boston to Tampa in my M45..."road trip" !
2Manystangs is offline  
Apprentice
 
westra93302's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: garden city
Posts: 222
 
I only paid 6900 for my 01 5 speed gt with 74k miles on it. It was completely stock except for a sun roof. Just keep looking they're out there.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

2001 Mustang GT Performance Red...SCT tuner, PRO50 shifter, O/R X, bassani cat-back
westra93302 is offline  
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
 
Mustang_Fanatic95's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Wausau
Posts: 259
 
Wow, I envy you all with those prices.

I shall keep looking. My mom just surprised me with good news today. She's willing to drive out to big cities with me to pick up the car when my money is in. I didn't expect that of her, it's very nice of her to do that.

And the car show today went great! Lots of mustangs, it's funny how all the mustang owners are so courteous when the others tend to be cocky.

2000 Mustang GT
Black/Black 5speed
Performance: stock

My pride and joy, my first car ever. Bought on 6/2/2013.

Check it out at my channel here: youtube.com/mustangfanatic95
Expect more vids in the Spring: Car shows, cruises, fly-bys, etc.
Mustang_Fanatic95 is offline  
PONY Member
4.6L Member
 
02 shaker's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Posts: 602
 
I found mine on autotrader.com, a dealership near me had the car. It was a trade in. One owner, unmodified, low mileage, I think I paid 8k for it.

02 yellow GT auto......SOLD.
Looking for another, stay tuned!
02 shaker is offline  
PONY Member
4.6L Member
 
Lackey'sGT's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 943
 
I bought my car 3 years ago off of craigslist for 6,500 with 78,000 miles. I liked that it came with a few mods though, they spent the money and it didn't make the car cost more. Have loved it since.

2000 GT 5 speed
SMR #2415
Lackey'sGT is offline  
Apprentice
4.6L Member
 
crbauhs's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: St. Petersburg
Posts: 89
 
I agree with some others about looking into mustangs from other parts of the country. I have found 5 or 6 here in Tampa going for under 7k with less than 100k miles on them.
crbauhs is offline  
Rookie
 
mrdude0890's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Cox
Posts: 23
 
I live in MD and I bought my 2000 GT about a year ago after someone totaled my 94 GT. I bought mine for 4500 stock (other then flows) with 143xxx on the body and 92xxx on the engine. Good luck on finding one I did and love the thing. Haven't done any under the hood mods yet, just exterior thinking about upgrading to a termi soon. Ill sell you mine lol only put about 10k on it from last year. I bought mine off craigslist and didn't have any issue.

mrdude0890 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1