Tire fell off today :/ - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Tire fell off today :/

Put 2 new rotors on thursday night and I guess I didn't tighten up my wheel spacer bolts enough on the drivers side because the fudge-ing tire came off!!! I used an air wrench too wow messed up my new rotor and my rear bumper!!!!!

Sonic Blue 2003 Mustang GT, 75mm bbk throttle body, C&l intake plenum, bbk cai, sct handheld tuner, gt500 wheels, mach1 chin spoiler, h.i.d 8000k headlights, 3.73 ford racing gears, SR performance short shifter, SR performance subframe connectors, mac o/r h pipe, slp lm1 mufflers, and more to come!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Garage
I'm sorry to hear that, just be glad you or no one else was hurt. Hopefully you weren't actually driving? Did it just come off as soon as you lowered the car onto it?

I've done something similar as well. Sucks.

95' GT. GT40X heads. XE264HR with 1.7RR. AODE built to 98+ 4R70W specs and PI 3500 stall. 4.10 gears. Bama tune. I got the heads for free and I still have buyers remorse.

Last edited by TheRoadWarrior; 06-10-2012 at 02:43 AM. Reason: I hit quote, why did I do that? I'm the first to comment.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoadWarrior View Post
I'm sorry to hear that, just be glad you or no one else was hurt. Hopefully you weren't actually driving? Did it just come off as soon as you lowered the car onto it?

I've done something similar as well. Sucks.
While I was driving.... Luckily I was on my road and was going slow..

Sonic Blue 2003 Mustang GT, 75mm bbk throttle body, C&l intake plenum, bbk cai, sct handheld tuner, gt500 wheels, mach1 chin spoiler, h.i.d 8000k headlights, 3.73 ford racing gears, SR performance short shifter, SR performance subframe connectors, mac o/r h pipe, slp lm1 mufflers, and more to come!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Garage
I was 17 and did my first brake job on my mother's car. I forgot to torque down a wheel and she went off to work. 5 minutes later she was back and told me something was wrong. The rear passenger tire was at a 45 degree angle, only one remaining lug nut was holding the wheel together. All the lug studs were stripped and mangled and the actual holes in the steel wheel were enlarged from the grinding metal. The tire was wobbling so bad that she said she had to do 5mph the whole way back. To this day I don't think she trusts my mechanical abilities.

95' GT. GT40X heads. XE264HR with 1.7RR. AODE built to 98+ 4R70W specs and PI 3500 stall. 4.10 gears. Bama tune. I got the heads for free and I still have buyers remorse.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Ha that must have really sucked! I know I torqued them all I don't understand how it happened..

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Depending on which spacers you have there may be 2 sets of lugs for each wheel.

The artist formerly known as SteedaMatt.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012
GT Member

Garage
Here you go.

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...nter-here.html

Mods = None. (well maybe just a few)
DB-Performance Tune: 634rwhp @ 6000rpm , 609rwtq @ 4000rpm, (500rwtq @ 2500rpm)

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Makes me feel better! Haha

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012
GT Member
S197 Member

One time I dint tighten my oil filter enough and it shot off and oil flying everywhere. (while driving) lol. Now I make it really tight..
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Ouch you're lucky nothing major happened..

GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachyd23 View Post
Ouch you're lucky nothing major happened..
Very lucky, Now I tighten the hell outta it so it aint going anywhere
Banned
4.6L Member

well really you should never use an air wrench you can easily over torque the lugs and warp the rotors...this would be the time to pull out the torque wrench and "do it right"...real pros sweat the small stuff
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachyd23 View Post
Ha that must have really sucked! I know I torqued them all I don't understand how it happened..
I'm guessing that you lost track of what you were doing and somehow forgot that last wheel. I've done it myself- on my father's car.

2005 4.0 MT dual exhaust GT mufflers GT suspension and wheels
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Yea I know what I did and it was a stupid rookie mistake.. I had an air wrench socket ( thicker walled obviously ) and when I was tightening the spacer down it would get stuck when I would try and pull it off... So from here you can guess what I did

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page