OR H Pipe MD Shop - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member

OR H Pipe MD Shop

I think I finally settled on a mid-pipe and want to have it welded rather than clamped. Are exhaust shops in MD allowed to install mid-pipes without cats? I live in Wicomico County where emissions are only done once the entire ownership of the vehicle.

Patrick M.

Mods
Jegs Off-Road H-Pipe
MGW Short-Throw
K&N FIPK
S&R Lowering Springs
Flowmaster Super 10's
Exedy Mach 400 Stage 2
Custom Tuned by Performance Evolution
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Why weld??? The beauty of mustang exhaust systems is its all an easy bolt together process that YOU can do in your driveway with simple hand tools. Worse case, bring the car into Va, they'll do what you want. Then again, From Salsbury it is a 4 hr ride.

02 yellow GT auto......SOLD.
Looking for another, stay tuned!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member

It's easy enough to be something I can do? If that's the case I will go ahead and try it. I was just worried about leaks.

Patrick M.

Mods
Jegs Off-Road H-Pipe
MGW Short-Throw
K&N FIPK
S&R Lowering Springs
Flowmaster Super 10's
Exedy Mach 400 Stage 2

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

It's a quite simple job. You will need.....

Socket set, various extensions totalling 12" to 18" in length, swivel socket, a can of PB Blaster for the manifold bolts, a new manifold to midpipe gasket for the passenger side (about $6 @ Autozone; the driver side is a compression type fitting and uses no gasket), an O2 sensor wrench (very helpful but not necessary) and some jackstands or ramps.

Do a little digging around here; there have been several threads on this subject detailing the removal and installation of this part. It's pretty easy and can be done in the course of about 2 hrs (less once you know wtf you're doing).

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member

I just need to get some jacks and I'm going to make an attempt and document it with pictures for future reference for people who haven't done it like me. Thank you guys.

Patrick M.

Mods
Jegs Off-Road H-Pipe
MGW Short-Throw
K&N FIPK
S&R Lowering Springs
Flowmaster Super 10's
Exedy Mach 400 Stage 2
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012
GT Member
S197 Member

Yeah everyone makes it sound easy. When I did my x pipe on my old 01 GT The thing was stuck on there it was a horrible experience... Then I took it to the shop and the guy bitched the whole time while doing it.

I have my x pipe coming and its going straight to the shop where they can put it on in 30mins with quick and easy power tools. To answer your question I think they will install it.. We need cats here in PA too but they put it on anyway. They wanna make $
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012
Apprentice

If youre like me, the person that owned your car before you already welded your midpipe to everything & replacing the midpipe itself is going to be a chore. I wouldnt complain but they used the factory H pipe cut the H crossover off & put the X crossover, so I still have all 4 cats. Tell me who in the world does that? Atleast remove 2 cats. Not only that but they removed the clamps that come off of the muffler to the crossover pipe as well. So I have to either take it to an exhaust shop & spend a good bit of money, to have an O/R X pipe welded, or purchase an entire new exhaust system all together. I'm still deciding
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

^ That really sucks.

Agree about getting an entire new exhaust.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page