buyer's remorse...? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Supercharge it! You'll be going fast enough then.

I am 16 years old, but born lovin' mustangs! Saved my whole life to get my beautiful black 2002 Mustang Gt! 100% stock as of now.

Just kidding, it's not even stock anymore
-Flowmasters catback exhaust
-JBA O/R H-Pipe
-Airaid CAI
-next to come: Black Chrome FR500's with Nittos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015 Thread Starter
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
I'm going through all my old threads (as you can see...I've revived 3 of them now)...

I still have some remorse about not getting a 99-01 cobra (Couldn't afford and still can't afford an 03-04). I think I would enjoy the IRS from a DD perspective and with the right mods to the IRS it could perform just as well my SRA setup at the strip...

Since my OP I've obviously done a crap load to my car (all the bolt ons, suspension, some visual...) and yes I do take it to the track now even though it's my DD still. I'm running 13.7s at 99 on the worse street tires known to man so I think with some bias plys or drag radials ill be low 13s (with a 31/33 spline setup it can be in the 12s as it sits since I'll be able to launch it much harder).

I have also not been told by my race track to get roll cage yet..i think if I dip below 13.5 then they will probably hound me but they are pretty laid back on test n/ tune night. I do not do any competitions I only got to test n tunes to have fun.

I still love my GT, I have a lot of pride in it...I've put about $1500 in it with all the mods I've done and it runs a lot better than it did when made I this thread.

Yes I wish I would have gotten Cobra (and still might when my money tree decides to start growing) but for now my GT is my hobby and I will get it into the 12s with in the next few years...Happy modding to anyone who cares to read this

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

When I got my car I was originally bent on getting an S197 GT. I test drove a few but it just wasn't financially viable at the time. My credit was trash, and besides that they were still going for mid $20K range. I almost got into an '06 (this was all back in early 2007) but my payments were gonna be $450/mo for 7 years. Seven effing years man... Plus insurance was going to be over $150/mo; so $600/mo for a weekend toy.

When I came across my '01 it was just the right car at the right time, both financially and otherwise. I originally only planned on keeping it long enough to get into a newer Mustang but within about a year the car grew on me and I bonded with it. This hunk of steel and plastic is now as far as I'm concerned a family member, no different than my dogs in that respect. I have no regrets. A Cobra or Mach woulda been nice and I undoubtedly would have had the same bond with any Mustang I ended up with but my 2V is what I got and it still puts a smile on my face every time I fire it up and that's all that matters.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4

PONY Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2V View Post
When I got my car I was originally bent on getting an S197 GT. I test drove a few but it just wasn't financially viable at the time. My credit was trash, and besides that they were still going for mid $20K range. I almost got into an '06 (this was all back in early 2007) but my payments were gonna be $450/mo for 7 years. Seven effing years man... Plus insurance was going to be over $150/mo; so $600/mo for a weekend toy.

When I came across my '01 it was just the right car at the right time, both financially and otherwise. I originally only planned on keeping it long enough to get into a newer Mustang but within about a year the car grew on me and I bonded with it. This hunk of steel and plastic is now as far as I'm concerned a family member, no different than my dogs in that respect. I have no regrets. A Cobra or Mach woulda been nice and I undoubtedly would have had the same bond with any Mustang I ended up with but my 2V is what I got and it still puts a smile on my face every time I fire it up and that's all that matters.
You couldnt have said this any better. I wanted a hardtop GT or Cobra bad. I searched for 6 months and started getting the itch to own another Mustang and started to consider convertibles only if they met some special requirements. 5 speed, low miles (under 45k) and the price had to be under 10 grand. I have so much money in my car now that I would need someone to just give me a Cobra in trade for my car to even break even. I love my car and my kids both love my car so I guess it is here for life now. I dont think I will ever own a brand new car for the fact that there is no reason to pay 450-550 a month for a toy plus 150-250 month insurance. I figure let someone else take the beating on the new car price and when it gets repossessed or traded in and cost is down then I might get a newer stang. Until then my 03 droptop and the new edition of the 99 hardtop will keep me happy. We all want more horsepower out of the cars that we have, that is what makes this hobby so fun. The good thing about doing it to an older car is you can actually afford groceries while modding because you dont have that high payment and insurance raping you every month for 5-7 years.

2003 Mustang GT Convertible 5 speed - Mostly stock 4.6... 455 rwhp and 573 ft/lbs torque. (SOLD due to divorce)

Currently working on Coyote Swap of a 2004 GT
PONY Member

Hey John, just wanted to add my two cents. Both SoCal and by Crazycrave made two very good points in my opinion, First running fast times, is not all about HP, suspension plays such a huge role in that (go back to some of my previous posts about my old non PI 4000lb. tbird that I broke into the 13's with, that was mostly because of drivetrain and suspension, it was still under 300hp at the crank). Second, before I got my GT last year, I kinda made the same comparison, with the old 289's and the 281 2v engines.
Expectation and goal does play a lot into it. I knew when I bought mine, how far I was willing to go, and roughly what I could expect. I did not expect that I would be beating LS's, Coyote's, or Hemi's. I bought this car, so that I can enjoy it, so that my family can enjoy it.
I am not mad that this car is not as fast as my old C5 ZL6 was, fact is, I really love this car for just what she is. I am currently putting my touches on her, and that will make her even more mine.
Way back when, I was a lot more focused on being the fastest and beating everyone. I spent A LOT of money and a lot of time always, fixing changing, improving. To be honest, I have friends that had 500-600+hp vehicles (Mustangs, Chevys, imports) blown, turbo'd, on nitrous. you name it. the truth is, that no matter how fast they got, they always wanted more (it really is never ending), and then we all wound up eventually getting bored and wanting something different.
Your New Edge is an AWESOME car, and you have made some really cool mods. they are not a dime a dozen and they marked the beginning of the comeback of the Mustang (much like the beginning of the original). Take pride buddy, and just enjoy the ride!

p.s. a decade ago (when I was last involved in this game) 400-600hp sounded a lot more impressive than it does today
PONY Member

When I got my 01 GT it was the most Hp a GT had made to that point. The 87-93 felt like rocket ships back then but they were only 225 HP. The 94-95 were kind of a bust and went backwards. They were actually heavier and slower. Then the GT's came out with a "whopping" 260 HP I was like I got to test drive one. It was a lot higher then the past GT's. In 01 they tweeked a few things. The rims were 10X nicer and they changed the tranny and intake. When I test drove the 01 I was really impressed with the brakes, (my 87 was a death trap) I also thought it handled pretty nice ( my shocks and struts weren't great on my 87) That's pretty much what sold me to buying the car.
I didn't care for the horrible wheel gap my 01 had, and at my first oil change 2,600 miles I put lowering springs on it. I was pretty happy but the car was real quite, and it didn't feel like a mustang, there suppose to be loud and at 7,000 miles I did my exhaust. That kept me happy for a while.
I have no regrets buying my 01 GT it was cheap and fairly quick back then. Who knew the Mach1 was coming out and then the Terminator. That's what killed the GT. Both cars especially the terminator completely dominated the GT.
The only regret I have is not getting a 03-04 Terminator but I had no idea something that sick was coming out.
Don't feel bad things happen for a reason who knows maybe having a03-04 Cobra one of us would have been dead because there a lot faster. That's how I'm looking at it😃
Have fun!!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2001GT
4:10's and all the bolt-ons
PONY Member
4.6L Member

I had a 98 GT with an auto so buying my 00 GT with a 5 speed was an improvement so I was very happy at the time of purchase. I also bought it while I was a senior in high school though which it had a v8 and was a stick so what high school kid wouldn't be happy right? I do think now that I want to trade up to a mach, cobra, or S197 and almost did about a year ago. However with a house payment/kid on the way I'm happy with the car I have! Maybe one day buy another mustang and have two, but for now I look at it as I have this car as a toy (sits in the garage a lot and not daily driven) and its not costing me much which to me is exactly what I need right now, not a more expensive one that I would have to have a payment on.

I think your new found love to go to the drag strip will be a fun adventure that sparks the core reason why we are on the forums and why we like messing with our cars.

2000 GT 5 speed
SMR #2415
Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to saleenmustang27
I can relate to this post. I've had a few stangs, all v8's and my first was a 91 5.0 lx, then a 2002 GT, 2001 GT conv., then finally got what I wanted a 2003 Cobra. I had it for a few years and loved the car. I decided to move back home to NJ to go to school full time and ended up selling it, big mistake. A few things fell through and I ended up staying in California. I ended up getting a 98 GT to get back into the Mustang thing. Well, it was anti-climactic to say the least but I was able to buy it cash and was able to buy a brand new fiesta commuter to serve as DD. I've been modding the GT and am saving for a vortech. This transition was a double edged sword, I do miss the cobra but it was too nice for DD duty and I have two kids. At least now I have a new, reliable, and gas friendly DD and a toy to do what I please. It took a few mods but I've finally got that excited feeling driving it as I did when I had the cobra. I still struggle with the idea of having the cobra but one thing I've learned over the years is that no matter what you get you will always want something else! So I'm sticking with this GT!

1998 GT- 5 speed. Crystal White. C&L CAI, 80mm MAF, TrickFlow 75mm throttle body, TrickFlow Upper intake plenum, Underdrive pullies, BBK catted X-pipe, 4.10 gears, limited slip diff with carbon fiber discs, moser 31 spline axles. MM FLSFCs, Screaming demon coil packs, Ford Racing 9mm wires, SR lowering springs, 95 cobra R rims, black, machined lip 18X9's in front, 18X10's in rear, Bullitt style pedals, SVE race seats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page