Does a trailer hitch = blasphemy? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2005 Thread Starter
S197 Member

Does a trailer hitch = blasphemy?

OK hear me out...I am considering putting a hitch on my GT vert, I would like to take my Mustang on holidays and camping trips, there is limited trunk space (especially on a convertible), and putting sandy camping equipment in the trunk will mess it up.
Is anyone aware of a HIDDEN hitch? If it is not well hidden I will not bother.

Last edited by freeflubber; 05-28-2005 at 01:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2005
S197 Member

I can't answer your question, but I love your avatar!!!

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2005 Thread Starter
S197 Member

Thanks bro, I made it from the video clip off of ford.ca

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2005
R3dF1r3

Umm, the only reason you would ever want to put a Trailer Hitch on your 2005 Pony; to see if any Stangettes can "take" the chrome off it...

:hihi:
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2005 Thread Starter
S197 Member

A buddy of mine tows his bike with a BMW, he insists it causes no damage and is almost invisible when not towing.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2005

Here's a link for one. you might want to call them and ask how well hidden
it is.

http://www.hitchesonline.com
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2005
PONY Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeflubber
OK hear me out...I am considering putting a hitch on my GT vert, I would like to take my Mustang on holidays and camping trips, there is limited trunk space (especially on a convertible), and putting sandy camping equipment in the trunk will mess it up.
Is anyone aware of a HIDDEN hitch? If it is not well hidden I will not bother.
I would not even consider a hitch on my Stang....find a cheap reliable truck....
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2005
4.6L Member

I wouldnt do it. I have a vert 94 GT with a hitch. I use to tow light trailers until I got my last new top. The body will flex even with a light trailer and might screw up your top. Even with the extra stiffening, the convertible frames probably should not tow anything larger than a lawnmower on a teeny utility trailer...or maybe a single PWC at most.

I could see my vinyl top tighten up when I hitched my lil trailer...but I did have at least a couple hundred pounds on the tounge.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2005 Thread Starter
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunPony
I wouldnt do it. I have a vert 94 GT with a hitch. I use to tow light trailers until I got my last new top. The body will flex even with a light trailer and might screw up your top. Even with the extra stiffening, the convertible frames probably should not tow anything larger than a lawnmower on a teeny utility trailer...or maybe a single PWC at most.

I could see my vinyl top tighten up when I hitched my lil trailer...but I did have at least a couple hundred pounds on the tounge.

I hadn't even considered the body, that is good advice. I was only planning on towing the smallest utility trailer and just some camping gear. Perhaps I should just never mind though. Thanks.

Don't do it. If you want to go hauling, get a used Ford pick-up truck for a thousand bucks.
S197 Member

I agree, putting a trailer on a stang is a risky sitution at best. There is really no way to correctly attach one. No frame, so bolting to unibody is only option, and besides, a pickup is much better for camping, going to beach, etc. You can beat on it with impunity!!!
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I had a hidden hitch on my 02 GT and it was fine! All you could see was the receiver, which i kept the rubber cap in when not using. No one ever even noticed it until i pointed it out, since the car and the cap were both black. When I was first looking at hitches everyone wanted to cut the rear fasica! Then I finally found the Hidden Hitch dealer! Worked out great!

John - The V6 Apologist

2014 Ingot Silver Vert - MCA Edition

MPT Tuned - BBK Shorties - MRT Axle Back - FRPP 3.55
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunPony

In term's of frame flex that should no longer be an issue with a light trailer, the 05's frame is supposed to be considerably stronger than the last generation. What does Ford say is the max. tow capacity? I have the same plan for towing a light utility trailer for camping, I would rather have a GT while on holidays over an old truck
JEB
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Personally, I'd buy a little Ranger for a beater truck.
But, there is a guy who mows lawns in my neighborhood that pulls a trailer with his late 90's GT. Works fine for him, car looks great.

I'd just keep the weight down as best you can.:thumbsup

I Hate GM, deal with it.
One shot, One Kill! Don't waste ammo, it's pricey!
2005 GT Screaming Yellow: SLP Loudmouths
Ibanez guitars, S&W revolvers, Glock Semi's
Republican write in Presidential Candidate 2012

Of course the ideal would be to buy a truck. But it depends on your situation... I mean not everyone has $ to buy a beater, pay the insurance, or a place to store another car. A light trailer should not matter.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page