Ford Mustang Forum

Ford Mustang Forum (/forums/)
-   4.6L Talk (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/4-6l-talk/)
-   -   Mods - Where to start? (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/4-6l-talk/54222-mods-where-start.html)

Bug-guy 02-11-2006 12:11 AM

Mods - Where to start?

Ok, so I'm going through my mid-life...

My 06 GT Vert w/ 5 spd is a week old. I commute 6 hrs. each way from Cincinnati to Wisconsin almost every week. I sunk some $$ into buying it and would like to keep burning regular (87). Being reasonable, responsible speed demons, how would you draw up a list of mods, in some type of priority order, that will improve performance but not break the bank. I'm not into cosmetics, life's too short to worry about pretty. Maybe a top 10 list.

I noticed from some of the threads that there are limiters for both the rpm and top end - is this something I should consider modifying? Also, the suspension seems a little soft - options?

Now an editorial... this is my first Ford. I LOVE IT! I made my best time home tonight including a slalom run on Chicago's Dan Ryan Xway at 5:00 PM. This car looks great, sounds great and I can't wait to take the top down.

BlueStreak03 02-11-2006 02:03 AM

1. Exhaust
2. Gears
3. Intake
4. Tune

Keep in mind that the ECU may need to be reflashed with each mod so you may want to look into a tuner right off the bat. Ford changed something in the ECU's on the '05+ cars that makes it a bit more of a hassle to mod them than before, but they respond very well when modded correctly.
Congrats on the ride, enjoy it,

meatball 02-11-2006 06:00 AM

think I'd rearrange:
1) intake & tune combo (or tuner like Predator or X-calibrator, good long-term investment) - good gains & plenty of relevant threads on here in the S197 Forums, and here for example:http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=757287
2) gears but mild; 3.73's? (can use tuner to correct speedo for gear change)
3) I'm one of those guys who has grown to like quiet cars on the highway; my 96 will blow you out of the car at 75mph. A quality catback shouldn't be too offensive but research that mod, as well as the others, first.

I'd move to the S197 forums for more model year-focused, relevant information and advice.

Bug-guy 02-11-2006 11:26 PM

Good suggestions. I'm trying to find my way through the forums. Would it be worth reposting in S197? I've been in a couple of non-car sites that got bent because I posted in the wrong forum - honest mistake, but... Thanks.

xxkazp3rxx 02-12-2006 02:16 AM

1. Tune and Gear (stock you're at a 3.55 - i'd go 3.90 or higher) - best way to spend money!
2. CAI Intake
3. Header back exhaust
4. Short Throw Shifter

the98stang 02-13-2006 05:55 AM

You guys are forgetting underdrive pullies. $150 gets you around 7-9 WHP. That's nuts considering a X pipe will get you 8-12 WHP for $500.

Before you do ANY mods to your car, do all the preventative maintenance first. Coolant flush, oil, fuel pump, plugs, wires, tranny oil....w/e you need to do :winks

sublimaze 02-13-2006 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the98stang
Before you do ANY mods to your car, do all the preventative maintenance first. Coolant flush, oil, fuel pump, plugs, wires, tranny oil....w/e you need to do

why should he replace all of that when the car is only a week old? :confused:

mbhmustang1998 02-13-2006 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sublimaze
why should he replace all of that when the car is only a week old? :confused:

Yeah i agree there. LOL. From what i read on MD id do an CAI and tune, that way u have the tuner whenever u add sumthen else, then gears and exhaust.