Mods - Where to start? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006 Thread Starter

Mods - Where to start?

Ok, so I'm going through my mid-life...

My 06 GT Vert w/ 5 spd is a week old. I commute 6 hrs. each way from Cincinnati to Wisconsin almost every week. I sunk some $$ into buying it and would like to keep burning regular (87). Being reasonable, responsible speed demons, how would you draw up a list of mods, in some type of priority order, that will improve performance but not break the bank. I'm not into cosmetics, life's too short to worry about pretty. Maybe a top 10 list.

I noticed from some of the threads that there are limiters for both the rpm and top end - is this something I should consider modifying? Also, the suspension seems a little soft - options?

Now an editorial... this is my first Ford. I LOVE IT! I made my best time home tonight including a slalom run on Chicago's Dan Ryan Xway at 5:00 PM. This car looks great, sounds great and I can't wait to take the top down.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Send a message via AIM to BlueStreak03 Send a message via Yahoo to BlueStreak03
1. Exhaust
2. Gears
3. Intake
4. Tune

Keep in mind that the ECU may need to be reflashed with each mod so you may want to look into a tuner right off the bat. Ford changed something in the ECU's on the '05+ cars that makes it a bit more of a hassle to mod them than before, but they respond very well when modded correctly.
Congrats on the ride, enjoy it,

"Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it."

John Adams
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006
GT Member
4.6L Member

think I'd rearrange:
1) intake & tune combo (or tuner like Predator or X-calibrator, good long-term investment) - good gains & plenty of relevant threads on here in the S197 Forums, and here for example:http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=757287
2) gears but mild; 3.73's? (can use tuner to correct speedo for gear change)
3) I'm one of those guys who has grown to like quiet cars on the highway; my 96 will blow you out of the car at 75mph. A quality catback shouldn't be too offensive but research that mod, as well as the others, first.

I'd move to the S197 forums for more model year-focused, relevant information and advice.

I'm back - 2001 Cobra convertible, 84K miles, acquired 12/10/11; just beginning to figure out what it needs to be right (beyond the leaky top..) - top to be done 12/27. Changed the coolant, <acronym title="transmission">trans</acronym>. fluid, oil, differential fluid. Replaced the LF wheel hub assy. Ordered a pair of Blisteins for the rear. Next up: full-length subs, strut brace, stainless brake hoses F&R and a bunch of FatMat.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006 Thread Starter

Good suggestions. I'm trying to find my way through the forums. Would it be worth reposting in S197? I've been in a couple of non-car sites that got bent because I posted in the wrong forum - honest mistake, but... Thanks.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Send a message via AIM to xxkazp3rxx
1. Tune and Gear (stock you're at a 3.55 - i'd go 3.90 or higher) - best way to spend money!
2. CAI Intake
3. Header back exhaust
4. Short Throw Shifter

2014 Shelby GT500
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006
4.6L Member

You guys are forgetting underdrive pullies. $150 gets you around 7-9 WHP. That's nuts considering a X pipe will get you 8-12 WHP for $500.

Before you do ANY mods to your car, do all the preventative maintenance first. Coolant flush, oil, fuel pump, plugs, wires, tranny oil....w/e you need to do
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by the98stang
Before you do ANY mods to your car, do all the preventative maintenance first. Coolant flush, oil, fuel pump, plugs, wires, tranny oil....w/e you need to do
why should he replace all of that when the car is only a week old?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006
mbhmustang1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublimaze
why should he replace all of that when the car is only a week old?
Yeah i agree there. LOL. From what i read on MD id do an CAI and tune, that way u have the tuner whenever u add sumthen else, then gears and exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page