I need some help choosing pipes! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006 Thread Starter

I need some help choosing pipes!

hey guys,I'm in the middle of buying an exaust for my car.The only problem is that I have no idea which is better!?I'm in the $1,000 range to spend,but I also want to buy the "Predator" chip,so it leaves be about $600-$700.Can I even buy a good exhaust with that?Should I not get the chip and only exhaust,or not get exhaust and get the chip?What would work better?
Anyway guys,if someone could give me a bit of their mind on this,it will really help!!!Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Send a message via AIM to BlueStreak03 Send a message via Yahoo to BlueStreak03
I'd do the exhaust and then the chip later. There are plenty of good exhausts out there for well under a grand. It all depends on if you want just a catback, just mufflers, just a midpipe or all of the above. Check out www.mustangexhaust.com there are loads of sound clips there of various combinations to help you figure out what sound you like the best.

"Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it."

John Adams
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006 Thread Starter

Ok,I'm lookin at the website you gave me,but I guess the next question would be,which exhaust is better?I realize there is many to choose from,and it all depends on what I would like,but I have no Idea where to start!Just to more or less know what I'm looking for,I want my Mustang to sound really tough! I almost want it to sound tougher than what it really is(LOL!)! If that makes any sence!?Anyway,I'm gonna keep lookin and maybe after diggin around I'll find something. I guess the real reason I'm asking for help is because I'm alittle outdated! I thought "Flowmaster"was still in,and I guess it's not!(Out w/the old,and in w/the new!). Also,do I need to do any other Mods to my car with this new exhaust?Other than a new K&N?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006

I know the flowmasters are pretty loud. The magnaflows are a little more mellow at idle, but get louder when your on the gass. Ive also heard good things about SLP, but ive only heard them on the camaros.

If you relly want it to sound like a nascar, go with an offroad x-pipe and flowmaster catback. Ive heard this combination and it sounds relly mean. On the downside, the x-pipe is illegal and you might get screwed when you go to smog it. Especially in callifornia. Otherwise Id do it too. That combination should run around $700 for parts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006
Banned
4.6L Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FunkyBoss
The big names are Borla, Magnaflow, SLP, and Bassani. $1k should get you everything you want with some to spare, unless you plan on doing headers as well, or if you plan to pay someone to do the work. Like Bluestreak said, check out www.mustangexhaust.com, you will need to sign up to listen to all the clips. I personally do not like the sound of Flowmasters and an x-pipe, as it has a very raspy sound between 2300-2700 rpms. If you want it loud, get SLP loudmouths or Magnaflow Magnapacks as well as an off-road mid-pipe. Good luck!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman01
hey guys,I'm in the middle of buying an exaust for my car.The only problem is that I have no idea which is better!?I'm in the $1,000 range to spend,but I also want to buy the "Predator" chip,so it leaves be about $600-$700.Can I even buy a good exhaust with that?Should I not get the chip and only exhaust,or not get exhaust and get the chip?What would work better?
Anyway guys,if someone could give me a bit of their mind on this,it will really help!!!Thanks
Just know that ANY aftermarket midpipe you get is going to be illegal. I don't mean to scare you, but they can impound your car for having a non-stock midpipe. Just buy an X pipe and when smog comes around, put the stock H back on. That's what I'm doing.

Personally I like the Bassani catback with Bassani catted X, but that's just MO. Go with what ever sounds best to you.

X pipe= NASCAR sound
H pipe = muscle car sound

X makes SLIGHTLY more HP (1-2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page