Which chip do I go with?!! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006 Thread Starter

Which chip do I go with?!!

I was thinking on going with a new exhaust for my '01 GT,but I already have the "Flowmaster" on there,so I think I'm gonna leave it the way it is.So! the next big step for me would be a chip! On my last post,I didn't make it clear that I already had exhaust,so I was told to do exhaust before a chip. I've been looking at the "Diablosport Predator" and "SuperChips Inc.".Are those any good?If anyone has one,please tell me the ups and downs of either one of them.They both sound really good,but it's all part of trying to sell the product!There's so much to do,that I don't even know where to start!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006
PONY Member
4.6L Member

They're both fine and pretty much equal products. Beyond price there's only one thing I'd advise you to consider when choosing between the two:
If you are thinking about getting a dyno tune, and have a dyno shop in mind, see what chip(s) they sell and/or are familiar with. Get one that they know.

But if you're just going to be using the basic performance tune that comes with either one, just get the one that you can find the best deal on. I have the Predator. It works fine for me -- no problems. I'd have been just as happy with the SCT probably, but I got a great deal on the Predator.

-Jim-
2003 Black 10th Anniversary Cobra
#353 of 10th Anniversary Editions. Born June 9, 2003
BBK CAI, Magnaflow Catback, MGW Shifter, M/T Drag Radials
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006 Thread Starter

So is the predator compatible for the dyno tune?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langod
They're both fine and pretty much equal products. Beyond price there's only one thing I'd advise you to consider when choosing between the two:
If you are thinking about getting a dyno tune, and have a dyno shop in mind, see what chip(s) they sell and/or are familiar with. Get one that they know.

But if you're just going to be using the basic performance tune that comes with either one, just get the one that you can find the best deal on. I have the Predator. It works fine for me -- no problems. I'd have been just as happy with the SCT probably, but I got a great deal on the Predator.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Send a message via AIM to BlueStreak03 Send a message via Yahoo to BlueStreak03
Yes, both handheld tuners can adjust fuel maps and timing curves. Also they can correct speedometers for gear and tire changes, turn off downstream O2 sensors and EGR switches. They can also datalog and read diagnostic trouble codes. As Langod said, find a shop that you'll be getting any dyno tuning done by and see which they write tunes for and get that one.

"Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it."

John Adams
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006
Banned
4.6L Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FunkyBoss
If you need the tuner to adjust your speedo for gears or shut off your rear O2's, then get it. If not, the gains are not very big and I would look into other options. If you haven't done gears, you will get the most SOTP feel out of them, only problem is you will need the tuner to correct your speedo after changing that, or you can go with a Speedcal as a cheaper fix.

As far as tuners go, SCT seems to be the best of the best, atleast when it comes to custom tunes, but Diablosport is not far behind. I have no complaints with the Predator and it is very easy to use, but again, the performance gains are minimal.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006 Thread Starter

would this be as easy done as it is said?

(quote from Mustang Enthusiast-installing cold air & a Diablosport chip,) "This is as easy an install as anyone who's ever spun a wrench could possibly dream of.There is,however,one small catch.The Diablosport tuner,which we'd started using before installing the intake parts,in addition to changing timing,leans out the fuel/air ratio in order to pick up some horsepower and torque gains. Changing the mass airflow housing and air box has a similar effect. If the mixture goes too lean(always a possibility on California's 91-octane swill) destructive pre-ignition could result. C&L attempts to get around this by necking-down the inside of their MAF sensor housing,which should trick the area concentrated around the sensor. This "Faster air" reading is assumed to be higher airflow rate in the smaller plastic OEM MAF sensor housing,and the computer is supposed to adjust the fuel tables accordingly. With the original tuning supplied by Ford,it leans out the air/fuel ratio enough to add a touch of additional power to go with that increase in airflow. It just won't work with the standard Diablosport predator tune without the aid of tuning time at a shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyBoss
If you need the tuner to adjust your speedo for gears or shut off your rear O2's, then get it. If not, the gains are not very big and I would look into other options. If you haven't done gears, you will get the most SOTP feel out of them, only problem is you will need the tuner to correct your speedo after changing that, or you can go with a Speedcal as a cheaper fix.

As far as tuners go, SCT seems to be the best of the best, atleast when it comes to custom tunes, but Diablosport is not far behind. I have no complaints with the Predator and it is very easy to use, but again, the performance gains are minimal.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006
Banned
4.6L Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FunkyBoss
Easy enough if you have the cash to shell out for a custom tune. The performance tune that comes with the Predator is set up for use with 93 octane. If you cannot purchase 93 in your area, detonation could occur.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page