Absolute First Buy on a 98 gt - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006 Thread Starter
Rookie

Exclamation Absolute First Buy on a 98 gt

i just bought a 98 gt, manual, and was wondering what the very first thing for performance should be. i have driven it about 4 days and dont really like the excessive body roll but could live with it to see it go faster. i read some threads and they talk about gears, exhaust, chips, etc. i thought if you changed the exhaust it would mess up the computer and stuff. thanks
(former LS1 owner, lol)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primacy
i just bought a 98 gt, manual, and was wondering what the very first thing for performance should be. i have driven it about 4 days and dont really like the excessive body roll but could live with it to see it go faster. i read some threads and they talk about gears, exhaust, chips, etc. i thought if you changed the exhaust it would mess up the computer and stuff. thanks
(former LS1 owner, lol)
Here we go...
1st buy should be a Shifter & short handle
2nd buy should be a K&N Filter charger (basically replaces the Air box with an open filter)
-CAI is a waste of $$-
3rd buy should be 3:73 gears
4th buy should be Slp catbacks or equivilant (sound is up to you), & Cated Xpipe (BBK, Bassanai, etc..)
(the catted pipes will not mess up the puter)
5th Get a 75 mm TB
Everything else will be expensive from there....

Last edited by TK421DS; 02-21-2006 at 09:35 AM. Reason: reatrted
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006
V6 Member

1. PI intake and cams
2. Then you can buy all the bolt-ons as they won't net you any power with the crappy stock intake and cams you have.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Agree with Monkey Boy,

Your bottle neck with a 1998 GT is the non PI Heads and intake manifold.
Before you don't change these parts you won't see any gains from the bolt ons (except for gears, because they don't address the output of the motor).

If you want to stick with this car for a while, get the heads and intake.
If you have other plans, such as 99+ may be one year down the road, save the money and do nothing.

2006 Ford Mustang GT (daily driver)
other cars
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006 Thread Starter
Rookie

not really a veteran here, what does pi mean? cai? thanks for the input, ill look into getting the pi thing when i know what it is. also, i think i have only one cam, sohc? finally, i plan on having a ford dealership do the work because i wouldnt trust anyone else.....
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

CAI means Cold Air Intake (everything before the throttle body):
It replaces the closed air filter box and piping and therefore improves air flow. Less restriction, colder/more dense air -> more HP

PI Heads PI Intake manifold:
Means Performance Improvement.
The first 4.6L modular motors used in the Mustang GT's (including the '98) had a "poor" cylinder head and intake manifold design. It wasn't bad, but it just didn't flow a lot of air, which kept the output pretty low on these motors.
For the '99 and up 4.6 L two valve motors Ford installed a new style of cylinder heads with a diffrent port shape. Since the port shape changed at the cylinder heads, the intake manifold needed to be changed too.

other cars
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

If I had it to do over again I would do the PI swap first. The kits can be had with all brand new Ford parts for $1350 from Parkwayford. Look to pay at least $1k for labor. Also to take full advantage of the new parts you will want a custom dyno tune. The swap is worth about 55-60 horse at the crank.

New Toy - Custom 92 GT soon to be a turbo beast
DHG 01 Bullitt - JLT, Mac o/r H, MGW, Bama tune, Focus pump, 3.73s, DRs best 1/4 13.50 @ 101 best 1/8 8.53 @ 82
Red/White 88 GT vert (SOLD)
Autumn Orange 97 GT (SOLD)
Black 89 LX best 8.46 1/8 mile (SOLD)
2011 F-150 Supercrew Ecoboost
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006
4.6L Member

+1

If you want to keep up with the 99+ stangs, your going to have to swap out your heads/intake. Either that or slap on a KB supercharger. I prefer N/A

PS- how the HELL can you own a LS1 and NOT know what a CAI is?

lol sorry...I just find that odd.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Send a message via AIM to BlueStreak03 Send a message via Yahoo to BlueStreak03
These guys are right on the money. You can easily blow well over $2 grand in mods and not come close to the gains seen with a PI intake, head and cam swap. I'd get a shifter and maybe gears and then start saving up for the swap. If you have some mechanical skills and experience it shouldn't be too hard of a job for a weekend with buddies helping out.

"Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it."

John Adams
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006 Thread Starter
Rookie

thanks alot guys, i was going to get bolt-ons (learned acronym from this site, hehe) before i found this site, but now im going to focus on the pi stuff. in reference to the not knowing of acronyms/owning a z28, i was making absurd payments on it so i had no excess money to throw at it. as it is now i paid 6k cash for the gt and can afford about 1k of mods a month. armed with the info from here i can proceed into the making of a chevy killer. :laughlitt ill opt for the cam first, intake second. any good cam names out there?
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Send a message via AIM to BlueStreak03 Send a message via Yahoo to BlueStreak03
Man if you can save a grand a month for mods then get gears, exhaust and save the rest for a rebuild and blower kit. Not a whole lot of F-bodies can keep up with a GT that's had headwork, forged bottom end, cam and boosted to 12-14psi.

"Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it."

John Adams
Banned
4.6L Member

Send a message via AIM to markwondi
Forget PI heads.... get some PI cams and PI intake (pi gaskets and RTV)

$200 and you'll gain 30rwhp. Put a good tune on there, 4.10 gears and you'll be in good shape.
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwondi
Forget PI heads.... get some PI cams and PI intake (pi gaskets and RTV)

$200 and you'll gain 30rwhp. Put a good tune on there, 4.10 gears and you'll be in good shape.
A good tune and 4.10 gears & install aren't free.

Talking about heads I wouldn't say that.
The reason why he wants (If he stays N/A) to have the PI heads is because gains from other, future bolt ons are not that big with out. Why leaving "the" part of the motor still in there, when you already know that it is not going to be sufficient for the future?
There is a link for an auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-...spagenameZWDVW

For $650 and you've already solved the cam problem. (heads come with the cams)

IMHO If you do it, Do it right.
Other people might think diffrent, but for me it always paid off doing car work that way.

other cars
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006 Thread Starter
Rookie

ok, these heads look ok, but i dont need two cams right? and one of those will work?
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

These heads bolt right on, and since they came out of a 2000 - 2001 Mustang GT they also have the high performance cams in them.
If you like these heads, check with the seller, he might also have a PI intake manifold for your stang.
Also, make sure that you get the cams, and he doesn't take them out.

The only thing I am not sure about is the bolt pattern of the valve cover. There are 2 different styles (8 bolt vs. 10, or something like that)

If you don't feel comfortable with the installation, ask your shop (dealership) FIRST, how much they would charge you for doing this job. That way you can estimate the costs pretty acurate.

By the way, 2V PI heads are so common, you will always see a set on ebay. If you want to think about it, just take your time.
There is no reason to rush.

other cars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page